Stock, Intake, back to stock - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
rdsx18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115544
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 rdsx18 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It is my opinion that much of what is felt in a CAI is placebo (and noise). Until you step up to an intake that is actually a larger diameter intake tube (which requires a re-tune so the MAF is reading correctly) I don't think you will see a whole lot for gains. I went with a drop in K&N, and mostly for the washable part, not for performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Tjrommel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114674
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white Sedan 5M

FF Reputation: 1 Tjrommel Good Standing Member
I must say I am sick of my intake also, I get worse mpgs and more of a heavy foot. I liked the stock box more also, way more consistant power output
Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
HP is overrated. Torque is what you are going to "Feel" when accelerating.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
OldGray320i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93808
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 OldGray320i Good Standing Member
I just did this with an Injen. I will say that the car definately moved out much better on the top end with the CAI. But, as the old saying goes, if it's too loud, you're too old. It wasn't bad, generally, at lower rpm, but the upper ranges were quite noisy. I had put some pipe insulation around it that made it pretty tolerable, but with the heat of the day it seemed to be loud no matter what.

I'm curious as to what the Steeda intakes do in terms of extra noise (sealing to the hood as they do). This had to be about 75% louder than stock at WOT. Generally not bad at lower rpm (and at lower day time temps - here in Tucson lately it's been over 100 most afternoons), about 20% louder than stock.

I may go back to the CAI and live with the noise, the power gain at higher rpm justifies it to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #15
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have the KN typhoon set up and I can't keep the darn filter on the maf sensor and its causing my car to run like crap and the light to come on. May go back to stock as well...
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_MK3 View Post
I have the KN typhoon set up and I can't keep the darn filter on the maf sensor and its causing my car to run like crap and the light to come on. May go back to stock as well...
I would definitely pull the MAF housing and look closely for cracks or weak spots, especially around the filter mounting flange. Hell, actually I would just replace it for good measure since it's just a $5 part. My Typhoon filter hasn't fallen off in 20K miles. You shouldn't be having this issue.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115360
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 1 yoshi1015 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okidoki78 View Post
So I had recently (last few months) had the Steeda air intake on the Focus. It sounded nice, there was slightly less of a bogging on acceleration, and maybe there was some added HP. But, I recently took it off and went to stock...might be selling for an SUV. Anyway, going back to stock I don't "feel" any difference which make me think these things don't do much..except sound cool. Anyone else go back and forth and have the same experience?
yes I did the same and you are correct in fact you will lose horsepower on a cai if you live in a hotter climate and do a lot of traffic driving. When I went to stock i couldnt believe how more consistent the throttle was. I think everyone gets into the hype of the sound and wants there to be more hp gain that there really is. Dyno results always very depending on who and where they are done. Plus the stock brings cold air in from 2 different sources side and below the air box
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The stock box only brings cold air in from one location, it just diverts it to two locations at the box.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Last edited by dyn085; 07-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
ScooterCT70
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98691
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ScooterCT70 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGray320i View Post
I just did this with an Injen. I will say that the car definately moved out much better on the top end with the CAI. But, as the old saying goes, if it's too loud, you're too old. It wasn't bad, generally, at lower rpm, but the upper ranges were quite noisy. I had put some pipe insulation around it that made it pretty tolerable, but with the heat of the day it seemed to be loud no matter what.

I'm curious as to what the Steeda intakes do in terms of extra noise (sealing to the hood as they do). This had to be about 75% louder than stock at WOT. Generally not bad at lower rpm (and at lower day time temps - here in Tucson lately it's been over 100 most afternoons), about 20% louder than stock.

I may go back to the CAI and live with the noise, the power gain at higher rpm justifies it to me.
Since the Steeda intake does not have the air silencers it would be just as loud. I have a drop in K&N and I cannot tell any difference, BUT it makes me feel better knowing it's not restricted.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
Noriceplease
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114146
What I Drive: 2013 SG SE 5SP

FF Reputation: 0 Noriceplease Newbie
Wink

Anyone that is thinking of getting rid of there steeda cai pm me I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Lol no seriously tho .....

Bookmarks & Social Networks