2012 automatic shifting and humidity.....relationship? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102822
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 dnprall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 automatic shifting and humidity.....relationship?

I live in MN. My 2012 HB has 13000 miles.

I noticed that when it got more humid out over the last two weeks, the transmission has been acting funny.

Seems that the car stutters and will shift hard into 2nd gear. Then throughout the acceleration period, it'll shift a little harder between gears.

In addition, the car seems to stutter in first gear when doing a rolling stop (like a "California stop") or if releasing the gas to coast and then restart at very low MPH.

When it's not so humid, this doesn't seem to happen and never happend all during the winter (I bought my car in August 2012 so it hasn't seen high humidity).

Is there a possible relationship? Worth bringing it in to the dealer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This seems different than what's been described in other popular automatic transmission threads (but maybe not, I'm not an expert).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

Points 957, Level 16
Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnprall View Post
I live in MN. My 2012 HB has 13000 miles.

I noticed that when it got more humid out over the last two weeks, the transmission has been acting funny.

Seems that the car stutters and will shift hard into 2nd gear. Then throughout the acceleration period, it'll shift a little harder between gears.

In addition, the car seems to stutter in first gear when doing a rolling stop (like a "California stop") or if releasing the gas to coast and then restart at very low MPH.

When it's not so humid, this doesn't seem to happen and never happend all during the winter (I bought my car in August 2012 so it hasn't seen high humidity).

Is there a possible relationship? Worth bringing it in to the dealer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This seems different than what's been described in other popular automatic transmission threads (but maybe not, I'm not an expert).
Depends on what you mean by hard shift drive train jerks against mounts shaking car or just fast right into gear which is what you want less clutch wear. Now for rolling stop stop don't do them there is some out there that will give tickets for that, anyway this is a transmission that has two clutches and two three speeds one with reverse so its like doing a rolling stop with out pushing in the clutch on a manual trans, first gear is low but not as low as low range in my 4x4 truck which I can get out and walk next to while it idles along in first low here is what Ford said on that when I told them about looking for a parking spot or dead stop on interstate they require jack rabbit starts not grandma starts so red light to red light I give the car in front a few more seconds leave time before going and this made a difference.

Think of the brake peddle as a clutch peddle when on clutch is off when off clutch is on to slow a start or slow speed = shutter like lugging a standard trans.

There could be a water seal left out like on the wipers TSB no recalls anymore LOL things happen, or a ground lose when moisture gets in all kinds of wired things can happen so yes take it in but plan on leaving it. It might show a code or freeze frame data that will not trigger the check engine light like the grill shutters if they don't close fully when there suppose to then no light just stored info.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Oh I don't do California stops (said it just as an example...guess stop and go traffic on the highway would be something similar too).

The car doesn't shake, more that it lurches forward when trying to go from a rolling start. The interesting thing is that it has seemed to only do it when it's humid. This morning, it was nice and cool and the car didn't do it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Humidity can affect the uptake of a clutch in a manual transmission. Usually, this shows up as being a little more "grabby" (not as smooth) on humid mornings. However, in my experience, this is only a characteristic of a cold clutch, and the "grabbiness" goes away quickly as the clutch warms up.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Tbone.

Didn't know that could happen with a manual transmission. I don't know how to drive a manual (don't judge me :() but when I first got the car, the noise of the transmission and shifting reminding me of driving in a manual transmission car.

After warm up, the problem still seems to be there. If it continues, is it worth bringing it to the dealer? Is there a remedy that is used on manual transmissions? Or something I just need to be aware of and drive it nice during humid days?

Appreciate all the help!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
when I first got the car, the noise of the transmission and shifting reminding me of driving in a manual transmission car.
It should remind you of driving in a manual transmission car because, like a manual transmission, it is a geared transmission with clutches (however "automated" by computer) rather than a hydraulically-operated planetary transmission like a typical "automatic" transmission.

Quote:
After warm up, the problem still seems to be there. If it continues, is it worth bringing it to the dealer? Is there a remedy that is used on manual transmissions? Or something I just need to be aware of and drive it nice during humid days?

Appreciate all the help!
The "grabby" characteristic of a clutch on humid days is something that the driver adapts to, so there is really no remedy--it is a normal characteristic. It is very similar to how your brakes may respond differently to normal use on dry vs. humid days, or hot vs. cold days. Asking a computer to immediately adapt to something like that after it has "learned" the normal shifting characteristics of the transmission is a lot to ask.

Please note that this is all just speculation on my part. You asked how humidity might affect the way the transmission is operating, and I'm trying to relate that to my experiences with manual transmissions and clutches. So, with that in mind, my suggestion would be to see if you can alter your driving technique slightly (on/off the throttle? smoother throttle inputs?) to improve the situation on humid days, similar to the adjustments you've likely already made going from a typical automatic to this transmission. I would certainly also bring it up with your service department at least to document the situation in case it worsens in the future.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks! You've helped me settle down about it!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
I live across town, dnprall, and my experience is that the DCT behaves poorly in warmer weather; I've never thought to correlate it to humidity. We've had so few warm days this year. ;)

I've had good luck doing some more aggressive accelerations to clear out the stumbles. Since the DCT is "adaptive", it sometimes turns itself into a hesitating, infuriating mess. I really hate driving it in stop-and-go traffic for this reason. Find a quiet, cop-free road and do some sporty launches. No need to burn rubber.

Also, holding the throttle pedal absolutely still seems to help as well. Gears 1 and 2 in these cars are very short, and small throttle changes get magnified.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
dnprall
Focus Enthusiast

Warm days? What are those, heh.

I do wish the first gear would hold a little longer before shifting. It's a reason that I'll do stop and go in "S" mode (maybe not the best reason but it seems to keep it from hunting between gear 1 and 2).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

Points 372, Level 7
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Just reading about this is frustrating, you would think they would have this fixed by now. :(

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.