Need a key for my 2012 Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114141
What I Drive: Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 burrpenick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need a key for my 2012 Focus

Its confusing.........some say the dealers can do it some cant, buy a blank on Ebay????????, will the dealer program it?????? I dont need the remote features on the extra. Help!

George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114934
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Nickel Good Standing Member
If you have two keys, you can program it yourself. If you have just one you will need to get it programmed. Check around for the best price, a good locksmith in your area should be able to duplicate the key and program it for you, often for much less than the dealer will charge. If your buying the blank online make sure it is the correct one for your car needs to have an 80 bit chip
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The machine to cut the key is really expensive. Only a very few big dealers would buy one.
With your VIN number any dealer can order an extra key already cut for your car.. (Some dealers may only do the order if you bought the car from them.. not sure on that)

Finding a locksmith with the correct machine .. you would have to call a lot of them...
Then buy the key blank on ebay. It MUST have a chip which can be programmed in it or as soon as you open the car without a chip nearby.. in the 2012 0r 2013 the car alarm will start going off after a few minutes.

The car can have extra keys programmed to it. (I am not certain how many total, but certainly 3.. maybe 4)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

Most good locksmiths will have the ability to duplicate the key. They equipment they need to duplicate the focus key they use for a lot of other keys as well. If they do automotive keys and programming they will probably have a blank on hand that will work as well. On Friday I went to the dealer, they said they would have to order the key and it was going to be 130 something, and then sent me over to service department to find out the programming cost, for them was going to be $66. First locksmith shop I called quoted me $80 for key and programming combined, sure it doesn't have the remote, but I just needed the key, and $80 and the same day was way better than $200 and waiting for it to come in. Plus the joy of supporting a local business that does high quality work.
But the chip is important, as you need a blank with the 80 bit chip.
The 2012 focus can have a total of 8 "keys" programmed to it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
Its confusing.........some say the dealers can do it some cant, buy a blank on Ebay????????, will the dealer program it?????? I dont need the remote features on the extra. Help!

George
Hi George,

As others have mentioned, your dealer will be able to assist you with getting an additional key for your Focus. Drop by your dealership with a photo ID and the vehicle's documentation (must have the VIN and your name on it); they'll handle the rest!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

key woes

No luck so far. FOund a lock guy with the best equipment and he cut two that fit/worked fine, but they would not program. He tried 2 different computers. Not sure why- bad chips or will only FORD chips work?????? He is trying to research this. They were the 80bit chips. Is there a difference in the odd cut key and what they call HIGH SECURITY KEY? Remember, he had the right blanks and they worked the locks/iggy FINE.

I can go to the dealership anytime and give them $274 for a key, but choose NOT TO. Do you need to ask me why?

GP

Last edited by iminhell; 03-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

I know the blank we started with the chip wasn't correct, (found out after having cut two keys)and we ended up swapping the chip from another blank that had the correct chip for one key and taking the head off the other one for an emergency wallet key. In programming the key, I know he ended up wiping all keys from the car and then programing back the original and the new key, when the new key had the wrong chip the car would display on the dash something like "key not found" while in learning mode, once we swapped the chips it worked just fine
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

bad chip

THe lock guy considered wiping the one factory key and then TRYING to reprogram them all, but, he was afraid to try and not be able to start the car- I was over an hour from home. So, I still dont know what to do!

George
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

The blank we used I think is a silica hu101t17 (unless the locksmith replaced the chip cover with the one from the blank the chip came out of) the chip inside I think says
145-F0
22A0?1G
the 0 before the ? I am fairly certain is a 0 but there is a slight scratch at the bottom so perhaps it is a q, and the ? I just couldn't make out, but perhaps that info would be beneficial to your locksmith in ensuring the right chip....
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks..........still trying to figure out which way to go. May end up buying a dealer key for 275 then a blank and try to program it with my two?

George

Bookmarks & Social Networks