Steeda vs. K&N CAI - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #41
ProjectCommuter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105046
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 ProjectCommuter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I like to see people doing different things and getting different results. It provides options for people who are researching mods. I was just supporting my decision for the Injen. People can make informed choices when they hear ALL of the information regarding different mods. For me, all intakes are tubes with filters on the end. I like the look of the INJEN and the dry filter. Plus, (they say) the tuned intake reduces the chance of the engine running lean. I don't know for sure but it was important for me since there were no tunes available at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCommuter View Post
Give your K&N intake time. The "seal" from the heat shield will wear a hole in the hood insulation and the rubber strip will come off. Plus did you add the cost of the cleaning kits over time? I will never buy another oiled filter. Ever.
In my experience, both of these factors are basically non-issues. I get about 5 years out of a $10 recharge kit (based on past usage for 2 previous cars), and after 1 year and 20K+ miles, there is no wear to the hood insulation or heat shield seal on my Typhoon. The heat shield and hood don't really move independently, so there's very little friction going on at their mating surfaces to cause the wear you are describing.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #43
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Give your K&N intake time. The "seal" from the heat shield will wear a hole in the hood insulation and the rubber strip will come off. Plus did you add the cost of the cleaning kits over time? I will never buy another oiled filter. Ever.
I gave it 10 k in miles time... I mean if it were going to have problems it'd start now, right? I check my seals frequently and I just messed with hood insulation today... This was done after about 2 hours of driving and if it didn't burn my fingers, i'm sure it won't wear a hole in my hood insulation.

Right about the cleaner though... But my buddy usually buys it and lets me use his

Oiled filters are bad for maf sensors... Can always buy a dry one though.

10/10 for my typhoon thus far...
MK3 SLöCUS
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #44
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Installed my Steeda CAI today (10 minutes after getting it) and I'm so far pretty happy with it. Makes a nice (and louder than I expected) sound and it kinda feels like it has more power but the sound is obviously more noticeable.

I will say, I'm disappointed with ford for making little annoyances like using those stupid Torx bolts (and the ones on the MAF were a diff size than those on the underside of the car) luckily I had a screw driver that was small enough (and I also had the correct Torx bit) but I'm just annoyed that they can't use the same form for all. I'm also mad at Ford for that really stupid battery set up. I was unable to loosen the negative lead that is on placed in an accessible location and I also have no idea how to get the battery out so I just said screw it as far as "resetting" the ecu by de-powering it. I will say, that CAI was a b*tch to install in that little engine compartment. If you do it the way the Steeda directions tell you to, you'll never get it in...

Alas, the end result is good. It looks good, and sounds good. And I'm sure it does add power perhaps a day in the 90s is not the ideal temp to test it out...

Anybody know if the Steeda is C.A.R.B. certified/how to get a sticker if it is?

Last edited by Vanquished; 06-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #45
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Uh, I thought it was because no one agreed to buy it after the test. The other brands were spoken for so he got those. No one else agreed to buy the used intake.

http://forums.focaljet.com/ti-vct-tu...project-3.html
Yeah in the original thread he couldnt sell it in advance, but he ended up selling some of the others after the fact on ebay not to the original people who said they would buy.

he later said in the results thread
"I figured the FSWerks and Injen were too close in design to warrant including Steeda also. It was difficult to get those dyno kits sold, and I am pretty sure I would still have the Steeda kit sitting in my office if I included it. I have owned Mustangs for years, and I am not a Steeda fan. In my personal opinion, I believe they have a premium on parts because of the name stamped in them"
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #46
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115360
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 1 yoshi1015 Good Standing Member
I am not sure about these others but I have Injen and it looks, sounds and operates great. the only set back is when it is around a 100 degrees outside it seems to lose hp but i hear that is typical of all cold airs
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #47
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi1015 View Post
I am not sure about these others but I have Injen and it looks, sounds and operates great. the only set back is when it is around a 100 degrees outside it seems to lose hp but i hear that is typical of all cold airs
I'll endorse the Steeda as well after having it for a week or so. I love the sound it makes when I want it to. If I don't want to make a loud noise I can accelerate slowly and nobody is the wiser. Don't hear any noise from it on the highway at the right RPMs, which is a good thing.

Not sure if its from the break-in period or from the intake but I can now spin my tires on command, something that I could not do when I first got the car. I have also done an oil change and run only premium in the car since I picked up the car so I guess it could be any of those factors (though I would say not the oil change lol).

In MA we don't get too many hot hot days but I will say I can see the indent on the hood liner (very slight) in the shape of the Steeda heat shielf so I know it's sealing to that aspect. One thing I wish Steeda had included was an aftermarket piece to go from the MAF housing to the engine, the stock one looks like it is awfully obstructing (Something like that Injen pipe would be sweet.)
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115360
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 1 yoshi1015 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
I'll endorse the Steeda as well after having it for a week or so. I love the sound it makes when I want it to. If I don't want to make a loud noise I can accelerate slowly and nobody is the wiser. Don't hear any noise from it on the highway at the right RPMs, which is a good thing.

Not sure if its from the break-in period or from the intake but I can now spin my tires on command, something that I could not do when I first got the car. I have also done an oil change and run only premium in the car since I picked up the car so I guess it could be any of those factors (though I would say not the oil change lol).

In MA we don't get too many hot hot days but I will say I can see the indent on the hood liner (very slight) in the shape of the Steeda heat shielf so I know it's sealing to that aspect. One thing I wish Steeda had included was an aftermarket piece to go from the MAF housing to the engine, the stock one looks like it is awfully obstructing (Something like that Injen pipe would be sweet.)
oh very nice... here is a photo of mine
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Very nice, so shiny :)

Here is my Steeda (pretty bad pic I know, I took it at night)

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #50
Tigeo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
I don't understand why they don't make full use of both intake pipes...I see they utilize the lower but why not plumb the upper one over and into the heat shield?

Bookmarks & Social Networks