New and improved intake mod! License to cool (er air) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New and improved intake mod! License to cool (er air)

Taking on the fun of doing the 'snorkel' delete, read a bit that some were removing or cutting the rubber flap to get more air into the system. Ford Racing also has put out a waaaay over priced K&N Drop-in with a very simple air duct for the ST that just helps divert air from the front of the car to where the snorkel attaches.

Since I already had an old license plate, this was pretty much a free mod.

So snorkel delete + license plate to divert cold air directly into the airbox. Completely returnable to stock (just don't lose the clips to the snorkel like I did ).

Seems to work pretty good :) Not sure on the mpg but pickup is nicer and butt dyno helps.

First, unpop clips for front radiator cover thing and also remove screws as shown below to give more room to work:

Take a license plate and bend it so that it fits in between the front bumper cover and air inlet piece as below:

Get it so that does not block on the air inlet but still cascades to the intake area. No need to remove the rubber flap, just have the license plate bend over it.

Rained a little the last couple days but I don't think I had any issues with the filter media (stock). Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Woah! Nice! Very creative! Nothing beats free ehh?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is what I did with mine, only I used a piece of plastic. Seems to be working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
I just picked up a K&N drop-in today, and was looking for an easy way to get the air from the grill up to the now open hole where the snorkel was. I came up with a decent setup. I didn't want to cut or remove the flap, as I would like to be able to reverse the process if need be (doubt I ever will).

I cut a piece of clear plastic from packaging for something, about 8" by 4", and shimmied it between the bumper cover and the plastic reinforcement under it. I than taped it to the plastic piece that holds the rubber flap. This should hold the flap down in front of the drivers side grill, allowing air into the intake opening.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Good thinking man. Do you notice any difference in power or response?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Response does seem to be a bit better IMHO. Now that direct cool air can reach the airbox, I'm sure there is a little bump in power due to the cooler air charge. Really, one of my fav mods as I'm not cutting or breaking anything and can return to stock (just need clips for the snorkel lol).

Like any breathing mods, give it a few days of WOT and then take it easy for the rest of the week for the car to get back to a eco type mode. MPG around the same but better response. I also wrapped my exhaust manifold ports and got a boost there so hard to tell what the intake mod did on it's own. Did help though!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Okidoki78
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90522
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Metallic HB

FF Reputation: 1 Okidoki78 Good Standing Member
how did you ever think of using a license plate..lol. Just had one laying around?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114512
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 redzone Good Standing Member
how is the plate fastened ?
Stock for now
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Hahah yeah it was the only thing around that was about the right size, could be formed and was strong enough (paper would have been bad and thin plastic would bend back to original form).

License plate is wedged between the front bumper and the plastic piece that goes around the bumper air inlet. Couldn't really take a pic so the second pic will have to do :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks