Conversion Mazda > Ford Rear and Front brakes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
bloodangel694
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108919
What I Drive: 2010 Ebony Black Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 bloodangel694 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Conversion Mazda > Ford Rear and Front brakes

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to do this, you can find many similarities and wondered if it was just simple or a pain in the .. I was expecting: front+ rear knuckles (+ brake, callipers), brake flex hoses, handbrake cable, rims/mags 5 spokes

(from a mazda 3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes it can be done but I don't know exactly how. teamDFL is thinking about doing the swap on his mk1 I think currently.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodangel694 View Post
I was wondering if anyone ever tried to do this, you can find many similarities and wondered if it was just simple or a pain in the .. I was expecting: front+ rear knuckles (+ brake, callipers), brake flex hoses, handbrake cable, rims/mags 5 spokes

(from a mazda 3)
I'm trying to figure out what the point is on a mazda conversion? Beside 5 lug?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
because I wanna know now. forgot the rest of it.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Brake options, wheel options, etc.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Larger bearing - http://www.driftninjaz.com/images/Ri...lBearings.xlsx

Significantly larger so able to take a sustained beating for longer.

The rear bearings I don't have a problem with, so I'd like redrill my hubs or just run 4 lugs in the rear.

Best source of data - http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-susp...rts-focus.html

If we get enough people together, perhaps www.gp-werks.com will make up a bunch of axles for us. That is the hardest part. The rest is just knowing what to get and finding it in a junkyard.

I am also working on ABS compatibility. The sensor and tone ring are the same design, so I am hopeful that it is a simple matter of mating up the wires. Full ABS function is important to me as the stock system with EBD kicks major ass.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
The Mailman 666
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27054
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 SES stick, Fully loaded with Charcoal leather and black paint

FF Reputation: 1 The Mailman 666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I've been looking for options to convert to all wheel disc. I am a level 1 working mechanic.

As far as I can tell, the Mazda 3 and focus frames and suspension components are identical, except the knuckles, bearings, hubs and axles. I am also not sure of the spacing between the transmission and hubs. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done with the axles to make them work? Can we just not use Mazda axles? Or do we need to use inner focus axle and swap the outer Mazda axle to it? This I can do if needed.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Lappracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74732
What I Drive: 2009 Focus black/silver

FF Reputation: 2 Lappracing Good Standing Member
I have done it 5 times. The 1st time was tough, but after that it is fairly easy. You can't use Mazda axles, they fit in the knuckle but not the transmission. You need to use the Mazda front control arm and modify it. You need to change the rear trailing arms to Mazda. You need to buy Mazda knuckles, control arms, rear trailing arms, rear spindles, rear brake calipers, axles, all 4 rotors, wheels, front struts, Mazda or SVT front calipers, parking brake cable and I'm sure a few other small items. It also widens the stance by about 1".

The advantage to this is 5 lug bolt pattern, but mostly (for me), is a much stronger suspension. We were breaking hubs every race weekend. Once changing over to Mazda, we have yet to break a hub. That includes racing in the 25 hours at Thunderhill race.

Junkyard price will run you around $1000-$1200 (not including wheels or struts). Then you have to make some axles.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
The Mailman 666
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27054
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 SES stick, Fully loaded with Charcoal leather and black paint

FF Reputation: 1 The Mailman 666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappracing View Post
I have done it 5 times. The 1st time was tough, but after that it is fairly easy. You can't use Mazda axles, they fit in the knuckle but not the transmission. You need to use the Mazda front control arm and modify it. You need to change the rear trailing arms to Mazda. You need to buy Mazda knuckles, control arms, rear trailing arms, rear spindles, rear brake calipers, axles, all 4 rotors, wheels, front struts, Mazda or SVT front calipers, parking brake cable and I'm sure a few other small items. It also widens the stance by about 1".

The advantage to this is 5 lug bolt pattern, but mostly (for me), is a much stronger suspension. We were breaking hubs every race weekend. Once changing over to Mazda, we have yet to break a hub. That includes racing in the 25 hours at Thunderhill race.

Junkyard price will run you around $1000-$1200 (not including wheels or struts). Then you have to make some axles.
This is good news! do you have pictures of how to modify what needs to be modified and just exactly what is being done with the front axles?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Good to hear this is possible you just need custom axles made right?

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->