Seriously thinking about the ST - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
For the beginner, driving a manual can become a distraction because you have to think about what you are doing.

In my case, auto or manual doesn't matter as I (unconsciously) become the automatic when driving a manual.
Many times I have been on the freeway in 6th gear with absolutely no memory of changing gears.
For a beginner, I agree. What's the learning curve? Two days? Seat time is the most important thing for a beginner. Drive it all day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Smeeagain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114588
What I Drive: 2012, blk Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Smeeagain Good Standing Member
Well, it looks like the Focus is off my list. After visiting my ortho it looks like I'll be looking at some sort of shoulder surgery in my future so driving a MT will just aggravate the condition and most likely speed up my surgery.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Ouch (literally).

Maybe consider the GTI; it has a decent DCT with paddle controllers.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Smeeagain
Focus Rookie

Most likely getting a Nissan Juke
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Driving a manual doesn't mean it's a full time job requiring heavy constant attention. Just means you have to balance movements. And its not like you have to shift 47 times like in a fast and furious movie. When I'm in a lazy mood, I'll shift 1,3,5 or coast along in neutral in traffic. I love being on a flat road and being able to let off all the pedals instead of having to hold the brake.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
For a beginner, I agree. What's the learning curve? Two days? Seat time is the most important thing for a beginner. Drive it all day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
A friend taught me in 5 mins. The hardest (only thing to practice learning imo) thing to learn is feeling for clutch engagement or when it "grabs". Everything else is just procedural repetition.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Driving a manual doesn't mean it's a full time job requiring heavy constant attention. Just means you have to balance movements. And its not like you have to shift 47 times like in a fast and furious movie. When I'm in a lazy mood, I'll shift 1,3,5 or coast along in neutral in traffic. I love being on a flat road and being able to let off all the pedals instead of having to hold the brake.
Or downshifting instead of braking......
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Smeeagain
Focus Rookie

I bought a Ford Escape Titanium today. Haven't really given it a good drive yet, but I have a feeling it's just what I need, when you're cursing the person in front of you for only doing 80 while in a 45 it's time to step back and remove the temptation. Goodbye 2012 Mustang GT, hello 2013 Escape.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
I bought a Ford Escape Titanium today. Haven't really given it a good drive yet, but I have a feeling it's just what I need, when you're cursing the person in front of you for only doing 80 while in a 45 it's time to step back and remove the temptation. Goodbye 2012 Mustang GT, hello 2013 Escape.
While its no GT stang, putting the hammer down on the eccoboost can give you similar temptations though it doesn't have the same rush at higher speeds.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Rockazona
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115643
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Rockazona Good Standing Member
C'mon. If you want easy then go with the automatic. I owned two 5.0 Mustangs. One had an automatic and the other a shift. I did a lot of work to power train on the automatic to make it more responsive, so it would ride like a standard shift. I had a shift kit and a 4.10 in rear end of that car. The 5.0 with the stick shift had a shudder. I think it's inherent with most cars that have a shift and transfer all the power to a live rear axle. I wouldn't want an ST with an automatic. What I like most about the ST is the power, torque and the ability to launch it in second gear. All the power is up front. It's very responsive and smooth with no shudder. A week ago I was behind a Cobra Mustang at a light. He took off close to full blast and I was right on his bumper. One thing I don't like is the torque steer with this car when you're getting on it. It depends on surface conditions but you better be holding the steering wheel tight.

Bookmarks & Social Networks