Concerned about premature tire wear in rear. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Visioned
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Concerned about premature tire wear in rear.

My car has 17k miles, still on the stock tires of course. My last oil change (I always get the works) they state I could use two new tires. Since they are rotated every 5k miles I asked why two would be more worn down and nobody really could answer that.

I left the shop and later on the customer service department called to ask how I was treated, etc... I explained to them about the tire thing and she let the service manager know that. He (service manager) calls and tells me that alot of Ford Focuses are like that and Ford will not do anything to fix it since technically its within spec.

I think my question is what can I do or say to Ford? I do not want to replace two tires that only have 17k miles on them every 1 1/2 years.. this is a family sedan!!!

I know there are aftermarket products but my dealership quoted me $500 for parts and installation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

Points 2,793, Level 32
Points: 2,793, Level: 32 Points: 2,793, Level: 32 Points: 2,793, Level: 32
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Definitley have alignment wear, make sure they set your tire pressures too. Ive seen a lot of mk3s with rear camber wear from being out of adjustment.
Still here!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

Points 380, Level 7
Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7 Points: 380, Level: 7
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Not only that but the tires that are installed from the factory are designed to not last as long. The vehicle manufactures cut a deal with the tire manufactures to make a low cost, low quality tire to keep the price of the vehicle down. The "aftermarket version" of the same tire (for example a Bridgestone Dueler H/T that came on the honda cr-v's) will last 2-3 times as long. It's also a dealer ploy to get you to come back for service more often, and since a lot of people don't realize that tires are a "wear item" and won't be covered under their warranty they go in thinking they will get free tires then bam the dealer hits them with a big bill because it's not covered.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,997, Level 71
Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71 Points: 11,997, Level: 71
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
With that rotation schedule, one pair would have been on the back for about 10,000 and the other pair about half that...

Too much toe-in at the back was the bane of tire wear issues with earlier models, even when "within factory specs". Second gen. here ('06-'11) had tighter stock specs, reducing the issue.

Sounds like the issue may be back again, and setting minimum toe-in at the rear MAY be the only solution.

Don't know the current new car tire warranty situation, that's usually a separate warranty from the "car" warranty through the tire manufacturer. Check if there is any mileage guarantee at all, it may be warranted against defects only. (Separate ppwk. for tires, received with new car info.)

Luck!

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.