ground clearance for exhaust. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Diabolical Master
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101797
What I Drive: 2002 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Diabolical Master Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ground clearance for exhaust.

I am about to lower my little girl with the eibach suspension kit for a very aggressive stance. The springs I plan to use will drop it 2 inches. I wanted to put some headers on with a cut out but am worried about the clearance as all threads point to ground clearance for svt exhaust systems when lowering.

option A:: dont lower it so much where the clearance is a issue. (completely reverses the point of my project)

Option B: custom fabricate an exhaust, much like nascar uses. Instead of tubes the exhaust is a rectangle. Not so difficult if you take volume capacity of a 2.5 inch round tube and covert that to a square. I figure the CAT and muffler can be tucked into the tunnel or put all the way to the rear where the resonator is located.

So here is what I am asking for. Would anybody/somebody post some photos of the under clearance of the exhaust of their svt focus. I know the svt has a 3/4 inch drop so thats easy to figure. If you could just let me know what size wheels you are running and the tire size that would be great. Or if you are really lazy, Just give me a height measurement of your oil pan or cross member.

I feel fairly certain I can do this the way I want, I just wanted to get a good idea of the final clearance measurement before I buy the suspension kit.

Thanks guys. Btw as soon as I can get the time to polish the new paint scheme I will post photos of my girl's make over and blow your minds with how purty she looks now.

-Corbin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm lowered over 4" and don't have an issue. Just drive smart and pay attention.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
You shouldn't have any issues w/ a 2'' drop. Just pay attention.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I'm lowered over 4" and don't have an issue. Just drive smart and pay attention.
I want to see some pics of this :P

On topic, Im running Eibach sportlines, which give a 2 inch drop, and 14 inch steel wheels, on a normal ZX3, with a 4-1 FSWerks header. My only clearance issues are speedbumps, at which point I will drag the pinch welds. I know its not an SVT exhaust, but Im hoping I could have helped some.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)

Here is a picture of what mine looks like lowered on H&R coils with the fronts full height. That is about 3.5" to the bottom of the header. My front fender height is around 23.5" to the ground if I remember right from when I measured it 2 years ago. I bottomed out on some nasty construction one day and tore it all to hell.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Diabolical Master
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101797
What I Drive: 2002 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Diabolical Master Good Standing Member
I have a cervini body kit so I am looking a bit lower as it sits now but I like your look and running 15 inch wheels is an option I may pursue to get a bit lower. Right now I am looking at 16x8 which is the wheel size they run on some mustangs and it has the same bolt pattern os the focus as I remember. This is all considering I will be able to turn the wheels without rubbing.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Master View Post
I have a cervini body kit so I am looking a bit lower as it sits now but I like your look and running 15 inch wheels is an option I may pursue to get a bit lower. Right now I am looking at 16x8 which is the wheel size they run on some mustangs and it has the same bolt pattern os the focus as I remember. This is all considering I will be able to turn the wheels without rubbing.
You could run a shortie Zetec header, so you wouldn't have scaping issues w/ a svt header. Also add a CFM 4-point lower stress bar, you'll scape or hit that 1st, if you hit a bump offset & not straight on.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You will hit the bumper before you hit the exhaust with that bumper. I have that bumper and I have had to do some significant repairs to the bumper yet dont have a scratch to the SVT header. I am lowered about 2" (think a little more). have the Konie Sport which does a 2.2" I think. Even if you do scrape a little dont worry. if you wrap the header just stup the wrap before the dip in the pipe. You are not going to loose anything by having the wrap pulled back and some small scraped / dents in the header.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)

Bookmarks & Social Networks