Volant Cold Air Intake Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
AlexCA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102754
What I Drive: 2003 Charcoal Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 AlexCA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Volant Cold Air Intake Questions

2003 ZX3 in Southern California

I am interested in purchasing a cold air intake and have chosen to get a Volant with the optional air scoop. My daily commute is 50% stop-and-go and 50% freeway. I am looking for a little more power at the low end.

My question is the volant a good choice for what I am looking for? Is it worth the cost? I have no other engine mods and do not plan on getting any.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
IMO, It's not worth the effort or money. Especially without the addition of other modifications.

I know there are many variables involved but this is from the Zetec Dyno Thread to help give you a better idea:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101161

Quote:
Member name: hEaT
Year: 2001
Transmission: Manual
Modifications: Volant Intake and SVT Borla Exhaust
113 WHP 122 WTQ
Quote:
Member name: NikiterZTS
Year: 2002
Transmission: Manual
Modifications: Volant with Cold Air setup, FC 65mm TB, Ported early 2000 intake manifold, SVT snorkel, OBX 4-2-1 header, 2.25" Truebenz flex pipe, MBRP catback, FC UDP kit, MAC rear engine mount, APC 9.3mm wires, Platinum sparks
125 WHP 129 WTQ
Quote:
Member name: osiris_vdc
Year: 2003 (ZX5)
Transmission: Automatic
Modifications: Volant Intake, SVT Header, Random Technology Hi-Flo Cat, Borla SVT Catback, Focus Central 65mm Throttle Body, AFX Underdrive Pully, Fully Ported 2000 Intake Manifold, Esslinger Tuneable Cam Gears Dyno Tuned, Ford Racing Stage 2 Cams, FS/SCT Dyno Tuned. Focus Sport 8mm Spark Plug Wires, Motorcraft Copper Spark Plugs, VF Lower Motor Mount, Royal Purple 5W-20 Motor Oil, Royal Purple ATX Fluid, Royal Purple Water Wetter, and 180 Thermostat.
126 WHP 125 WTQ
Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Pb-foot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62873
What I Drive: 2004 Silver 3dr SVTF w/EAP

FF Reputation: 1 Pb-foot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^Good advice... try just putting an ITG or K&N panel in, with the resonator removal hack.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
daspazzZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 133961
What I Drive: 02 ZX3 chcl gry - Dakota-PatE02 5sp

FF Reputation: 2 daspazzZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Isn't the problem for us "less" modified guys to try and get more cold air into the engine, instead of engine compartment air into the engine?

Im not disputing what the Dynos are saying. I'm just basing my statement on what everyone has been telling me about hot air= bad vs cold(er) air = good.

I don't know that a volant is the answer, but some form of "air from the outside" intake is better than air from the hotbox, right?

I didn't understand the extensive routing and length of my Duratecs intakes until I started spending time here. And had I know better on Orangell0, I would have ripped out some of that convoluted and restrictive intake in 2005 or 2006.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to use my old Zetec snorkel with my RAI setup I have now. I dont see me getting to much cooler air when the intake box is in the heated engine compartment...........
Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspazzZX3 View Post

Im not disputing what the Dynos are saying. I'm just basing my statement on what everyone has been telling me about hot air= bad vs cold(er) air = good.
Dyno's show enough of a gain, Bone stock run shows 95hp/100ft-lbs in a 03 auto. That same car with intake/full exhaust, cams and tune hits 126 WHP 125 WTQ Where right below that one an 01 manual with a volant an SVT catback gets 113 WHP 122 WTQ.

Now compare the stock auto to the mild manuals power band, the point your hp and tq cross shifts from 4.5Krpm to 5.25krpm. Now maybe its has something to with shift points, but that seems like a decent shift in power for a simple bolt on just from the thread linked. Plus expect even in a auto a 10hp/20ft-lbs tq gain aint bad.

I would say the volant is a good choice, You get a nice tube from the throttle body to the box (its probably a little bigger) I'm sure the MAF sensor housing is a little bigger, you get a cone filter (more surface area for air) and it pulls air from the wheel well too. All this indicates Less restriction and if your looking for a happier engine this would be a good buy. I personally have the SVT intake on my ZX3 right now and defiantly feel that it falls less on its face when i romp around. Plus I already had the 2.5" catback before.

Also its not so much that cold air-good hot air bad. its more about working with what you got. Any "cold" air benefits aren't seen until just about highway speeds in which those metal tubes they call short ram actually heat soak really bad you lose some power when cruising around in town. The insulated tube/box styles are nice for a OEM style look still where as FULL cold air intakes take an aluminum tube (which does a better job dispersing heat than black plastic and stainless) and routing it way away in just about in the air flow of either the fender or bumper (think AEM). They have their draw backs mainly being its another thing to get ripped off or damaged plus the danger of driving over puddles and hydro locking your engine because that one was deep.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The reason colder air is better is because it is denser than hot air and contains more oxygen which can yield more power. If you can increase the velocity and amount of air at the same time as being cooler then you get more power.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
daspazzZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 133961
What I Drive: 02 ZX3 chcl gry - Dakota-PatE02 5sp

FF Reputation: 2 daspazzZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
One thing I do like is the air scoop that some of the volants have coming down to the front edge of the hood. That seemingly would draw a lot of fresh air as opposed to stale engine compartment air. So instead of the cold is good hot is bad its more of a fresh is good and stale is bad. In this case the more external air inlets the better. Since you are then drawing less stale air. That I guess would be a much better analogy that cold-good hot-bad.

Are there any volant clones? The volant is a two part intake there's the box with filter and intake pipe to intake and then the addon over the battery scoop.

Or is it possible to use a volant scoop with other airboxes for other RAI units?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
When.it comes to air for the engine fresh and stale are not factors. It's temperature which relates to density and velocity/volume. Hot/cold air can both be "fresh or stale".
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
The Violant intake is the next best intake for the focus next to the stock SVT setup.

I can also attest that colder air is much better. I had a shorty K&N intake on my SVT and I was pulling in 140* intake temps with that setup and I had a huge bog off idle when at the track. Switched to the stock setup with a K&N filter and Upper Euro air deflector and now my intake temps are whatever the ambient intake temps are. Much better response off idle now.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->