2013 Transmission shudder - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
BoilerL1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114960
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 BoilerL1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is the OP familiar with driving standard shift? I think some of the noises and vibrations from the DCT are because it is NOT a normal automatic but an automated standard shift. Some people inexperienced with standards and expecting the DCT to feel like a normal automatic may be disconcerted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerL1 View Post
Is the OP familiar with driving standard shift? I think some of the noises and vibrations from the DCT are because it is NOT a normal automatic but an automated standard shift. Some people inexperienced with standards and expecting the DCT to feel like a normal automatic may be disconcerted.
This.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLFocus View Post
Has anyone had success in resolving the automatic dual clutch transmission shudder issue? I now have 3,000 miles on my Focus and the shudder is still very noticeable in 1st gear when accelerating from a complete stop. I was told that it needed to break-in, but I think 3k miles should be more than enough.
Yes, I have. Had a pretty bad shudder around the same mileage as you. Did the five full throttle accelerations and it went away.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony2001 View Post
This.
Actually, no, not this. Completely wrong for the majority of complainers. If you haven't experienced the shudder then you really can't comment.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Quote:
I think Ford really shot itself in the foot not creating a series of videos showing, in detail, the difference between a DCT and a traditional automatic. Relying on people to know how a manual behaves (which is what most of these TSBs and videos on the DCT from Ford say) is kinda dumb in a market where ~96% of cars are automatics. This does nothing but confuse cases where the transmission is genuinely faulty and are rough/grindy because of contaminated clutches, failed gear sets, etc., and behaviour that is just "different".

(I think that the introduction of CVTs were equally blotched).

Personally, I moved from a MT to a Focus with a DCT, and I really don't notice the DCT operation noises some other people mention. If I'm in an echo-y garage with the windows down and the fan/radio off, I can barely hear the transmission shifting, but it's considerably quieter than shifts with the MT in my old car (and that was pretty quiet too).
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Actually, no, not this. Completely wrong for the majority of complainers. If you haven't experienced the shudder then you really can't comment.
My DCT will shudder at low speeds if I feather or hesitate on the throttle, which is a perfectly acceptable way to drive an automatic. It's hard to understand what the "majority of complainers" are talking about if grinding from an improperly assembled transmission and "a slight shudder from 1st to 2nd" (likely just a characteristic of a DCT) are mixed together as evidence of catastrophic failure.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
My DCT will shudder at low speeds if I feather or hesitate on the throttle, which is a perfectly acceptable way to drive an automatic. It's hard to understand what the "majority of complainers" are talking about if grinding from an improperly assembled transmission and "a slight shudder from 1st to 2nd" (likely nothing) are mixed together as evidence of catastrophic failure.

This again. What does everyone consider "shudder"? I understand grinding between gears is not normal, but a lagging or shaking at very low throttle is normal to me.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony2001 View Post
This again. What does everyone consider "shudder"? I understand grinding between gears is not normal, but a lagging or shaking at very low throttle is normal to me.
I was using it as an example of something that seems broken to someone used to an automatic, but makes sense if you know how the DCT works (the transmission prefers constant throttle application, like a manual).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
BoilerL1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114960
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 BoilerL1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Your comment even if valid (which I don't grant) doesn't negate my assertion that some of this comes from people who don't know how a standard acts and feels. Note that in my post I used the word "some". I think my assertion is reasonable given the premise that standards have a different feel and sound than automatics and that a great many, perhaps most people have never driven a standard shift.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
I was using it as an example of something that seems broken to someone used to an automatic, but makes sense if you know how the DCT works (the transmission prefers constant throttle application, like a manual).
Sorry, I was agreeing with you. I failed to use proper punctuation between, "This again". It should have been... "This!... Again,".

Bookmarks & Social Networks