Steeda vs. K&N CAI - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm not sure where people are looking to find the Steeda as cheaper than the K&N. Only place I've seen the Steed sold is on their website whereas you can get the K&N on Amazon or AA for about 240. Someone on eBay just dropped the price of (they say) a lightly used (300 miles) Steeda intake from 220 to 175 so I pounced, will arrive this week or next.

I feel I might be worrying about nothing but I am a little worried about the whole "running lean" issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
I'm not sure where people are looking to find the Steeda as cheaper than the K&N. Only place I've seen the Steed sold is on their website whereas you can get the K&N on Amazon or AA for about 240. Someone on eBay just dropped the price of (they say) a lightly used (300 miles) Steeda intake from 220 to 175 so I pounced, will arrive this week or next.

I feel I might be worrying about nothing but I am a little worried about the whole "running lean" issue.
Either a lightly used unit, or if and when steeda has an extra sale. Although strictly speaking others do also resell steeda parts other than just Steeda themselves.

Of course when I still had my SEL I bought a steeda intake for ~14 more than a used one from Ebay from Steeda directly, although their customer service is a bit lacking as far as following up with tracking numbers and shipments.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Either a lightly used unit, or if and when steeda has an extra sale. Although strictly speaking others do also resell steeda parts other than just Steeda themselves.
Yea I know the used units can be cheaper, I'm talking new. I guess I didn't consider sales. Through use of the interweb I wasn't able to locate another seller of the Steeda Intake I was looking for however. I know there are resellers for the steeda mustang parts however.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
There is an 'intake shootout' thread on Focaljet. A guy bought 4 intakes (K&N, FSWerks, Injen, & AEM), scheduled dyno time, installed and dynoed each. The K&N made the most power, but the FS Werks wasn't far behind (and was therefor dubbed the best bang for the buck). Steeda was NOT included in the comparison. I think wantz12 is mistaking the Steeda intake for the FSWerks.

Here's the LINK
That's kind of what I figured. I haven't seen one with both the Steeda and the K&N.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I didn't like the fact that the Steeda wasn't included in that test. I've also never seen any members hit 170hp with just an intake.

I'm sure that if the two were outright compared legitimately that the Steeda would pull bigger numbers. But, and again it's just speculation, I can't see there being a difference of more than a few HP. Both units look good and function well. There used to be a bunch of people cracking their MAF housing, but maybe the instructions were re-written because I haven't heard much of it as of late.

I would personally choose the Steeda, but ultimately either one work well and are at the top of the power-gain spectrum.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I didn't like the fact that the Steeda wasn't included in that test. I've also never seen any members hit 170hp with just an intake.

I'm sure that if the two were outright compared legitimately that the Steeda would pull bigger numbers. But, and again it's just speculation, I can't see there being a difference of more than a few HP. Both units look good and function well. There used to be a bunch of people cracking their MAF housing, but maybe the instructions were re-written because I haven't heard much of it as of late.

I would personally choose the Steeda, but ultimately either one work well and are at the top of the power-gain spectrum.
It is just speculation. You can't be sure one would pull better numbers until they are directly compared, with more than one sample.
I could say I can just feel that the K&N is a better setup, so it must perform better, but without data to back it up it's meaningless.

Also, does the steeda use the factory cold air inlet? The K&N is shaped so funny because it is rerouting the air and deletes that funky snorkel (not the same snorkel others are deleting).
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I'm adding just the Steeda Intake with no exhaust. And I run premium. I wasn't expecting 170 obviously but I was hoping for about an 8hp gain, think that's possible? Also, think I'm at risk of any engine damage without a tune (which I have no intent on doing)
Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
You can't really go wrong with either, I have the steeda ram air crammed into the stock box. Eventually will build a custom aluminum box for it. Either one the gains seem to be capped because of exhaust.

You should not be at risk of engine damage, I have 12k miles and a year on my steeda without any issues.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
You should not be at risk of engine damage, I have 12k miles and a year on my steeda without any issues.
Good to hear, I see the posts about the engine running too lean it worries me, a worry I never had before when putting intakes on cars, then I've never had, or dealt with a 2.0L 4 cylinder before either...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
It is just speculation. You can't be sure one would pull better numbers until they are directly compared, with more than one sample.
I could say I can just feel that the K&N is a better setup, so it must perform better, but without data to back it up it's meaningless.

Also, does the steeda use the factory cold air inlet? The K&N is shaped so funny because it is rerouting the air and deletes that funky snorkel (not the same snorkel others are deleting).
It is speculation, but it is based off of comparing dyno sheets. And I never said that it is fact-just my opinion based on the graphs that I've seen. I could be wrong, but I think that that is why we have yet to see a K&N distributor compare them directly despite comparing all of the rest of the competition. But I can't foresee the difference being more than a few HP, though I could also be wrong there.

Steeda does use the factory inlet runners, but blocks one off. I don't think that either of them actually draw much air out of it though, because they are open in design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
I'm adding just the Steeda Intake with no exhaust. And I run premium. I wasn't expecting 170 obviously but I was hoping for about an 8hp gain, think that's possible? Also, think I'm at risk of any engine damage without a tune (which I have no intent on doing)
Thanks!
I got 8 hp with just a drop-in and snorkel delete. You will see over 10hp, no doubt in my mind. And DarkAngelism is right, you won't have any issues as the ECU will be able to calibrate accordingly based on the new found amount of air.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->