dealership oil change = ragged hole in bellypan - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
If you guys have ever been under the car, you'd know this.

There is a little air funnel built into the underbelly pan. Looks like you caught it on something and it tore down. That's not really any where near where you'd need to be to drain the oil or replace the filter.

From the pic below, you can see the area the air funnel is at. Almost dead center. The oil drain, on the other hand is off to the side.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275451

Thank you. You are correct, it is this air funnel that has been torn down.

HOWEVER, on close examination this morning, I noticed that this occurred because the dealership failed to properly install the belly pan.

The tabs highlighted in yellow in the picture were not inserted properly. So the rear portion of the belly pan is hanging down about 3-4" lower than it should be.

So, while that's slightly better than them having taken a knife to it, it's still pretty bad. It's poor quality work, and the damage to the pan is a direct result of this poor workmanship. So the dealership still owes me a new belly pan.

Last edited by Strix; 05-25-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #22
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Honestly, my ownership of this car has been the worst customer service experience of my life. And I have Comcast.
But seriously, I'm sorry about this horrible experience you're having.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...I'm sorry about this horrible experience you're having.
Yours hasn't been much better, though. We should get together and have a pity party.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The Ford Contour had a smaller undercar cover, and it was regularly cut up by oilchange guys both at dealer and oilchange places.
It only blocked the oil filter, and I actually cut a round hole to just barely let the filter get out. BUT, most of the cars I saw with it cut the cut was a big gash full width of the shield. NEVER saw one NOT cut. So if you all think it is outrageous.. well get ready, because your underengine shield is GOING to be cut up sooner or later, by some in a hurry.
You may be right but the point is that it is clearly unacceptable for a dealer to do that.
Not only wouldn't I accept that but I would be livid.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
spektrum2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109690
What I Drive: 2012 oxford White Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 spektrum2 Good Standing Member
This cover has been bothering me in the back of mind since I got the car.I had a incident where they damaged the plug gasket and was slowly losing oil which I noticed from the stain in my parking spot.It just seems to me in a case like I mentioned above you could have a leak like that and it would pool on that cover and could disperse at highway speeds and be alot longer,maybe too long..before you noticed it..

I notice two holes in the photo posted,are they directly below the oil plug and for that purpose perhaps?That would make me feel better if thats the case.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Thank you. You are correct, it is this air funnel that has been torn down.

HOWEVER, on close examination this morning, I noticed that this occurred because the dealership failed to properly install the belly pan.

The tabs highlighted in yellow in the picture were not inserted properly. So the rear portion of the belly pan is hanging down about 3-4" lower than it should be.

So, while that's slightly better than them having taken a knife to it, it's still pretty bad. It's poor quality work, and the damage to the pan is a direct result of this poor workmanship. So the dealership still owes me a new belly pan.
Mine was hanging down before I did my oil change as well. It seems whoever took this car to the dealership before I owned it, they also cut a hole in it. Whatever. I don't care personally. Though I made sure I hung it back up so it sits flush now vs hangs down.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
If you guys want to hear something really bad, listen to this:

I once cut a hole in my car's (not this one) floor pan with tin snaps to get to my fuel pump!
I figured an access door was an upgrade: It was also a hell of a lot easier to pop rivet and caulk in a piece of sheet metal than to drop the entire rear end, then the gas tank without a lift.

But honestly, in this case I would be upset. It's okay if you do it to your own property to save time, not someone else's property. I've always spent the extra minute (and that's all it takes if you're good) to undo the t-star bolts and pull the panel.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum2 View Post

I notice two holes in the photo posted,are they directly below the oil plug and for that purpose perhaps?That would make me feel better if thats the case.
The larger hole beside the air funnel is a rear motor mount inspection hole.
- Jody -
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
That's just pathetic! I have to admit though, I never found a dealership that did not mess up my car after the first service, something is always messed up or missing. I had VW do some work, get the car back and the engine cover was missing screws, dipstick was busted, battery cover was broken. Also had my wheels scuffed and had impact wrench marks when the tech did not engage the lug correctly and bounced the tool off of the face of my wheels, looked real nice when they returned the car. Their solution was, they can take it off and get it refinished but it would take a week.

My wife had a seat replaced on a Acura, the tech scuffed up and tore the headliner and dash in the process, car only had 300 miles on it.

List goes on, I am not looking forward to my first Ford oil change/tire rotation. I am sure the wheels will be dropped from 4 feet face first on the dirty shop floor.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Unless you have purchased a service plan with Ford, you do not have to take your car there for oil changes. Just keep receipts from the places you do go to.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks