2008 1.8 tdci clutch replacement and egr blanking plate - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Kurtsmith2013
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108102
What I Drive: 08 focus titanium grey

FF Reputation: 1 Kurtsmith2013 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 1.8 tdci clutch replacement and egr blanking plate

hi everyone. since buying the car in december 2012 i noticed the clutch was hign and i kept saying to myself it will need replacing soon. not to mention my fuel consumption went down to between 23mpg - 26.3mpg, thats after having a full service if not 3 weeks before hand. so recently i noticed my revs shoot up in 3rd gear from 2000 to 2500 on slight acceleration. clutch slip obviously. after a few days it seemed to only slightly shoot up. so i ignored it. 2 week back i set off on a hill start and all the sudden my clutch went really heavy and i could smell the clutch burning. and the revs just shot up in every gear. straight away i new it was clutch job. i done some digging around on the internet and i wanted proper parts that was originally fitted to the car. so i went to ford and got quoted 1295 for a full clutch kit including thrust bearing and a dual mass flywheel and fitting. i then went to my local garage and quoted me 885 for exactly the same parts or i could have a single (solid) flywheel including fitting for 700. i booked my car in and i took the 885 with the dual flywheel.
6 hours later i picked up my car. started it and it was super quite, no thrust bearing noise tickling away, i then dipped the clutch to find it super light and slightly lifted my foot and it was biting.
i am glad i chosen the dearer option.

reasons why.

diesel models are fitted with a Dual Mass Flywheel, their purpose is to damp out any engine vibrations for a smoother, quieter drive.
fitting a single flywheel will increase level of noise and vibration in comparison to a dual mass setup. it will also increase wear on the gearbox.
even tho it sounds cheaper it will end up costing you more. my advise would be to take the dual flywheel .

i wrote this because i tried looking it up when my clutch was going to find not alot of information on the 1.8 tdci models.
i then bought the egr blanking plate and fitted it within 15 minutes.
i then took my car on a spin and its so responsive now.
p.s i am now getting between 39mpg - 43mpg round town and a easy 56 - 61mpg on the motor.

Bookmarks & Social Networks