Auto-Dimming Mirror - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
riparke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95781
What I Drive: 2012,red,se,hatch,manual,sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 riparke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They screwed up. the gentex 40 I installed has a red for switched power (mirror) a yellow for constant power, but I connected it together with the red to 12v and a black to ground. Brown wire is for map light - not used. I added a add-a-fuse to the fuse panel below the glove box. All devices must be fused to prevent fires. Red wire must be switched to prevent it from draining the battery. Take it back and have them fix it and show you where the fuse is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasDmw View Post
I just had a GENK40 gentex autodimming mirror with homelink installed yesterday. Used my dealers recommended aftermarket electrical install shop. Unfortunately, the autodimming function is not working. Also, whenever I press one of the 3 buttons to activate a garage door, the 4 way flashers come on! Pressing one of the buttons again turns them off. Anyone else with this type of aftermarket install have this issue? Note that I did get the homelink to work fine to open my 2 garage doors. Am using the 3rd, unused homelink button for shutting off the 4 ways. Do intend on taking the car back to that shop, but am looking for some insight first. The installer says he works on many new fords and the 5 wires in there were a piece of cake for him. Obviously not, unless the mirror is flawed.
So I took it back and they admitted they installed it wrong! They called MITO corp, the manufacturer and got the right help. Connected the power to the "blue" wire in the fuse panel and all is well. Mine has a constant green light when the autodim funciton is on and nothing when it's off. When you activate one of the Homelink buttons it changes to red.

Would be nice if the buttons were illuminated; tough to see in the dark!

Otherwise, works really well.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
4havnfun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107430
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 4havnfun Good Standing Member
Does anyone know if the wiring for the mirror is still up in the headliner of the 2013 Titaniums or if it was stripped out when they removed an auto dimming mirror as an option?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
I guess you'll have to look for yourself.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
I was wondering if the connections were in the headliner of the ST.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Let everyone know if you look and find them, they would be very interested.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Did anyone ever find out if the electrical connections for the auto dimming mirror are still under the head liner?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
Billacuda
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114361
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Billacuda Good Standing Member
I'd like to know as well before I go ripping stuff apart to run wires.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #29
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
On my job2 2013 Ti, I couldn't find a harness/plug in the headliner for an auto-dimming mirror.

My Gentex autodimming mirror (with homelink) had three wires: ground, constant 12v (homelink) and ACC (ignition) 12v. I was able to wire all three into the moonroof MOTOR harness.

If you pull out the plastic upper console (that contains the sunglass holder, moonroof switch, etc), and look up into the roof (assuming you have a moonroof), you should see a gray connector that plugs in facing the passenger side of the car.

The BLACK wire (heavier gauge, thin white stripe) is ground.

The white wire (thinner gauge) is accessory power and turns off immediately with ignition.

In one corner of the connector, there's a heavier gauge orange wire (forget the stripe and I didn't get photos) that's constant power.

TEST ALL OF THIS BEFORE TAPPING ANYTHING!!!!!!

Get a cheap multimeter... you shouldn't be messing with wires without one. Learn how to check for 11-15 volts DC. Test everything you read on these websites. Don't tap wires unless you've seen for yourself what they do.

If you don't have a moonroof, It's possible you still have the harness and plug. Check and see... if you do, it's a great source for the mirror.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
Loveit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117758
What I Drive: 2012 SILVER SEL HATCH

FF Reputation: 1 Loveit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
On my job2 2013 Ti, I couldn't find a harness/plug in the headliner for an auto-dimming mirror.

My Gentex autodimming mirror (with homelink) had three wires: ground, constant 12v (homelink) and ACC (ignition) 12v. I was able to wire all three into the moonroof MOTOR harness.

If you pull out the plastic upper console (that contains the sunglass holder, moonroof switch, etc), and look up into the roof (assuming you have a moonroof), you should see a gray connector that plugs in facing the passenger side of the car.

The BLACK wire (heavier gauge, thin white stripe) is ground.

The white wire (thinner gauge) is accessory power and turns off immediately with ignition.

In one corner of the connector, there's a heavier gauge orange wire (forget the stripe and I didn't get photos) that's constant power.

TEST ALL OF THIS BEFORE TAPPING ANYTHING!!!!!!

Get a cheap multimeter... you shouldn't be messing with wires without one. Learn how to check for 11-15 volts DC. Test everything you read on these websites. Don't tap wires unless you've seen for yourself what they do.

If you don't have a moonroof, It's possible you still have the harness and plug. Check and see... if you do, it's a great source for the mirror.
Great write up Garyd just did this today ,just a few notes my May 2012 SEL accessory power wire was white with brown stripe and to remove upper console open sunglass holder and on each side of button are holes you need to insert small screwdriver or something else in those holes and push straight back to release clips then it comes out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks