Autocross Tires for 2013 - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #101
Zewerr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56889
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT, STF prepped

Points 229, Level 4
Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4 Points: 229, Level: 4
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Zewerr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So last weekend I didn't enjoy getting my ass handed to me as I ran on an old set of Hoosiers with an FSP index because I finally installed my coil-overs, and had no good street tires to run on. And being tired of waiting for my ZII's, I ordered/mounted a set of 225/45R16 Toyo R1R's shaved to 4/32". So far, my STF build have been slower than expected, having only been able to get my coil-overs in, and still running an Eibach rear sway. Today, while instructing at the novice school, we got to run our cars during the lunch break. Already, my car feels way faster than it did in H-stock form. The tires were very responsive. They don't grip quite as well as the Hoosiers did on sweepers and turn arounds (playing around with shock settings and tire pressures may improve this), but in the slaloms, the car is amazing. There was a good size 7 cone slalom in today's course, and I don't remember ever driving a car that felt that good through a slalom. I will likely be purchasing a set of ZIIs later in the year, but I kinda like running on these Toyos for the contingency.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #102
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55097
What I Drive: 2000 Zetec sedan

Points 126, Level 2
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 STS-focus Good Standing Member
Has anyone gone from B'Stone RE11's to the new ZII's yet? Love my Re11's but they dropped my size in the RE11A, 205/45r16. So I got the email today, the ZII's that I ordered (in February) will be here Friday, I got the 225/45r16's. I am excited to try, but have had a lot of success on RE11's. I will probably have both sets mounted for the Peru, IN SCCA Match Tour just to be safe and crazy like every other autocrosser.

Zewerr, 6 years with my Eibach too big, too stiff rear bar and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Rotates lovely.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
2013 SCCA National Championship 6th Place Trophy Winner in STF
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Milwaukee STF Winner
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Peru 3rd Trophy
2013, 2012 Chicago Region SCCA STF Season Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #103
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Points 638, Level 12
Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My RE-11a's came in today, but as my head is currently being rebuilt, I won't have any impressions of them for a little bit.

Never had a pair the Dunlops... Always had more civilized street tires before. I think I've stepped on the other side of the looking glass at this point

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #104
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

Points 638, Level 12
Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thumbs up

Thought I'd update with my general impressions of the RE-11A

Haven't had it on the track yet, might get a free weekend later this month.

Initially had the inflated at 34 psi for the first 100 miles. They drove fine, but felt a little off and would not give me any indication of approaching their limits. I know wearing in new tires takes a little bit, so this might have been the case. Grip was excellent, but I decided to take a little bit of air out and run 30 front and 32 rear.

Big difference in feel. Lateral movement gave much more feedback through the wheel and audibly. Grip improved slightly, but most definitely noticeable. I'm going to be driving on them like this for the next few days and see how I like it.

Ride comfort and noise are acceptable for DD. Coming from junk tires to these is night and day - every single aspect of the cars performance was increased.

As soon as I get out to an event, I'll post some more feedback.

'03 SVTF *FOR SALE*
'14 FoST Ingot Silver, bone stock...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #105
jmichene
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 46802
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE ATX

FF Reputation: 1 jmichene Good Standing Member
Just had my first event of the season (2nd lifetime) on my new BFG G-Force Rivals...and when I say new I mean 50mi on them!

I'm running 205/50R15s on OEM 15x6 10 spokes...and let me just say they were AWESOME!!!

I had ZERO wheel spin/slip on straight ahead accel/braking, ABS kicked in way before the tires lost grip! Lateral grip was fantasic as well...in fact the tires gripped half way down the side wall! (probably should have been running higher pressures in the fronts).

On that note, for you expereinced guys...what tire pressures do you start at (and do you measure cold or hot) and what pressure do you try and maintain through out your runs?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #106
Sully313
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104895
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5 Red, 06 ZX3 SES Black

Points 1,166, Level 18
Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sully313 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey! I know you! You car looked great on sunday.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #107
Sully313
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104895
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5 Red, 06 ZX3 SES Black

Points 1,166, Level 18
Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18 Points: 1,166, Level: 18
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sully313 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichene View Post
On that note, for you expereinced guys...what tire pressures do you start at (and do you measure cold or hot) and what pressure do you try and maintain through out your runs?
Every car is going to be different. I have 2* of camber in the rear so I run a rediculous amount of air pressure in the rear to try to get it to rotate.

Sunday I kept the front at 38psi through the event and the rear I set at 49 in the morning when I got to the event and never checked it again since the rear was staying behind me.

Looking at Rich's pic from the event, I could probably go 40 or a little but the car felt nice and balanced as it was. I'm still a bit upset I coned away P2. But atleast I know the time is there.

I run RE-11A's which I think have a softer sidewall than your rivals.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #108
jmichene
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 46802
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE ATX

FF Reputation: 1 jmichene Good Standing Member
Thanks for that info Sully313! I went with 40 fr / 40 rr and I definately stayed off the sidewalls in the last event, but was plowing terribly around some of the tighter corners :-P
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #109
2000blackzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9744
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

Points 2,577, Level 30
Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 21 2000blackzx3 Great Standing Member
I'm using a set of 225/45/15 BFG Rivals this year, and those things deliver, grip is significantly better than my ZI's I had last year. They take a lot more slip angle than Dunlop's while still maintaining grip... soooo forgiving. Less response in slaloms though, which you mostly notice on the road, everything goes so fast on the track you are just like "omg those things glue" and you can give ridiculous steering inputs to dodge cones where you think you were toast.

I'm in FSP with a Torsen diff. That thing is way faster than my STF build last year... only because of the diff and tires... I had like the 3rd/4th raw time on a 65 drivers field at a practice event on a STOCK SVT suspension minus rear konis and sway.

First event with my coilovers with Koni RACE-like damping...300F 350R spring rates... the car was a BEAST to drive, best FWD I've ever driven in near stock form. I could have ran within 2.5 secs of FTD (300+ whp Civics / Subarus on slicks...) (minus a Formula SAE car) before I hit a guard rail and bent a tie-rod because of ABS that didn't know how to act. Still finished 9th overall with my first of 6 allowed runs before which I didn't even have time to walk the course. First run was a 65.X (no course walk!)... 2nd 61.8 but missed a gate.... 3rd was in the guard rail. FTD was around 60.X. However, my inserts (which are not exactly RACE ones but one-offs) seem to like getting blown... I'll have see what I can run for my next events. Anyone has V3's to sell ? :P Any cheap options here? Konis/H&R Race would be a quick one... but still money.

A quick vid of my first run ever of the season... a little late at some boxes, first time spotting the course (in later runs I had to use 3rd gear in the last section).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCLiAsQru5M
Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #110
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

Points 12,616, Level 73
Points: 12,616, Level: 73 Points: 12,616, Level: 73 Points: 12,616, Level: 73
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
based on observations from this weekend the Rivals may be the tire to beat. cars/drivers that I consistently outpaxed last year are now on rivals compared to my Z2's and are out paxing me fairly easily.

we also had a test and tune this weekend and I got to do some playing around (with miatas) of stock suspension vs konis/swaybar as well as Z1's vs Z2's.

as tirerack has already proven we found the z2's to be faster ultimately (by .6 seconds on a 45 second course) but they aren't nearly as consistent.
all of my runs with the z1's were within 1-2 tenths of each other, the runs with the z2's were varying by almost a full second, the limits of the z2's are not nearly as feedback filled and easy to find, which caused for some overshooting of the limits and botched runs.

food for thought but for newbs the z1's may actually be the faster tire vs the z2 due to the easier to approach limits. (although the rivals are even faster!)
'99 Triumph Daytona - Death Machine

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.