2012 Focus Timing belt or chain???? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
We just bought a 13 and I was wondering this too. Thank you Ford. But no transmission dipstick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
Focus805
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90582
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL HB 300A

FF Reputation: 1 Focus805 Good Standing Member
Great thread, thanks all. I had a '71 Datsun 510 with a timing chain. It was indestructible. I hope to get 150k miles out of the Focus so let's hope they got this new engine right.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
We just bought a 13 and I was wondering this too. Thank you Ford. But no transmission dipstick?
There is only around 1.7 quarts of fluid with either transmission, the "Automatic" is really an automated dry dual clutch manual, how many manuals have you seen these days with a dipstick for transmission fluid?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #24
Cubedtothex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119677
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Cubedtothex Good Standing Member
I know your response is almost 2 years old, but I cannot find said thread. I've searched and searched but come up with topics that just briefly mention the existence of flex fule/E85 in postings, not threads.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #25
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillareal78 View Post
Although its funny it says it is E85 capable, but right on my gas cap it shows no E85
There are actually two "engines". More accurately, they are the same engine but have slightly different emissions equipment. Certain states require "PZEV" engines (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) which reduce or eliminate carbon emissions for the first 100k miles or so. In those states, the Duratec complies with those standards but is no longer compatible with E85. In other areas, we have the 'standard' flex fuel engine that IS E85 compatible.

Not sure why that was the crime of the century to mention it, but, there's the answer anyway!
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
Cubedtothex
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
There are actually two "engines". More accurately, they are the same engine but have slightly different emissions equipment. Certain states require "PZEV" engines (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) which reduce or eliminate carbon emissions for the first 100k miles or so. In those states, the Duratec complies with those standards but is no longer compatible with E85. In other areas, we have the 'standard' flex fuel engine that IS E85 compatible.

Not sure why that was the crime of the century to mention it, but, there's the answer anyway!
Thanks! So essentially, anything w/o the FLEX-FUEL badge are the PZEV models? I guess I have one then. Makes sense as it started its life as a rental/fleet. To this day I've only seen the sedans on rental lots, but that doesn't mean they didn't have the hatches for rent as well.

My question may derail, but I don't care. Mine also has the Saab/Volvo - like DRLs. My low beams are at 80 % and my parking lights are on no matter when the car is on and the switch is turned to auto, parking, or OFF. I've seen others where just the low beams are on, and I remember seeing older fleet Foci that used only the low beams as well. After a ton of reading, I have yet to find a straight answer.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #27
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillareal78 View Post
Wow did not realize I "started" anything here, was just pointing out an inconsistency I noticed. Maybe anyone else notices one they would point it out. But thanks for being so rude to new members Especially since your only post has nothing to do at will with the subject

This is why it was an issue to mention it. Aside from being completely and totally off-topic, the question was answered and discussed in detail in another thread, and it has now completely hijacked what should have been an open-and-shut thread that was created to answer a very specific question.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:

you are correct, however, what i find interesting is that my state requires a PZEV engine in vehicles yet some ford products here are flex fuel despite being PZEV engines and it states so on the car. (not foci, tho)
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubedtothex View Post
Thanks! So essentially, anything w/o the FLEX-FUEL badge are the PZEV models?
Almost. Some early 2012s had a non-PZEV engine without E85 support. If you want to check, you can go to FordEtis and plug in your VIN.

If it says...
  • 50 State Emission Requirements
  • PZEV Evaporative Emission
... in the details, you have a PZEV/California emissions engine.

If it says...
  • Less Evaporative Emissions
... you have a non-California emissions, early pre-flex fuel engine.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #30
Cubedtothex
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
Almost. Some early 2012s had a non-PZEV engine without E85 support. If you want to check, you can go to FordEtis and plug in your VIN.

If it says...
  • PZEV Evaporative Emission
... in the details, you have a PZEV/California emissions engine.

If it says...
  • Less Evaporative Emissions
... you have a non-California emissions, early pre-flex fuel engine.
Yep, mine is the 2nd. Its build date was December 20, 2011. I wonder when they changed over to Flex Fuel versions, it had to have been sometime before the 2013s models were built because I've seen flex fuel SELs. (I have an SEL)

Bookmarks & Social Networks