Interesting HID question.. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
WTFbeast
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114833
What I Drive: 08 Edge SEL 11 Focus SE 88 Stang GT

FF Reputation: 1 WTFbeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Interesting HID question..

Hi all.

I ordered a xentec HID H13 bi-xenon kit for my 2011 Focus. This is the second car i've put bi-xenons on, the first being a 2010 mustang. Everything is all hooked up correctly. But for some reason the hi beams are the only beams that light up, regardless of which wire input configuration I have. Meaning; I got the kit that uses only one side of the headlight input connectors to tell the HIDs what to do, and there are 3 wires from the factory harness, and 3 wires to the hi/low switch. It doesn't matter which configuration I have these wires (believe me, i've tried them all), the only time the bulbs light up is if I have the brights switched on. I can hear the switch 'ticking' when I switch the brights on and off, but nothing will light up when the switch is off.

I'm at a loss.. Any ideas? Is there something i'm missing about these cars? Some shut off sensor or something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

Points 1,234, Level 19
Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Xentec.... Thats the problem. You get what you pay for.

Im glad they don't work. Your blinding everyone from the glare of your plug and play hids.

Retrofit projectors or keep the stock halogen bulbs.
A lot of mods.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
WTFbeast
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114833
What I Drive: 08 Edge SEL 11 Focus SE 88 Stang GT

FF Reputation: 1 WTFbeast Good Standing Member
Lol.. thank you for both the warm welcome and constructive response. Neither of which pertained to my question, but I guess I was asking for it, right? I don't blind anyone. If I can't aim the beam down enough to not blind myself when I test them, I uninstall them. I read the HID sticky before posting, and I was under the assumption my question wouldn't be met with such pointless replies. I'm well aware of the idea that HIDs are frowned upon, thank you. I personally have not experienced a set of HIDs to be annoying while driving, maybe I just have less sensitive eye sight. I don't particularly care if I'm honest, it's not my business what people do and don't do to their cars. I just wanted to ask for help with my electrical problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

Points 1,234, Level 19
Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFbeast View Post
I don't blind anyone. If I can't aim the beam down enough to not blind myself when I test them, I uninstall them.

Thats what everyone with plug and play hids say.

Everyone uses the "they don't glare" "i aimed them down"

It doesn't matter what you do they will glare because the headlights are not designed for that bulb.

Im sure it doesnt matter and your still going to keep them but I hope you went with a 4300-5000k bulb and dont have some avatar blue headlights.

Sorry for not welcoming you. I don't check post count before replying to things..
A lot of mods.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

Points 969, Level 16
Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
got a volt meter handy?

im not sure to which kit you have or how it wires in. there are two types from what ive seen. one uses a solenoid to pull the bulb into position and the other uses a halogen bulb for the high beam.

there needs to be a diode on the ballast wiring to keep the ballast energized when switching to highbeam due to the ignition and warm up period of the xenon. hopefully they have built this in or you will need to pick up a h13 relay harness...

Rep Points dont add themselves

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.