Installing solid shift base inserts on 08-11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installing solid shift base inserts on 08-11

I recently purchased solid shift base inserts from cedwards89 in THIS thread and while he does not have many pieces left, if you're thinking about buying them they WILL work on mk2 and here is how to do it.

NOTE: I had originally installed them incorrectly, so these pics are of the inserts installed correctly but I do not feature the stock hardware.

You will need:
10mm socket that has at least an 8" long extension to reach down inside the console
6mm socket for removing the hex head screws on the sides of the console
A long reach, flat-head screwdriver
20 minutes

Step 1: Getting started
Get comfy and remove your center console. [Click links for pics]
Before
After

Step 2: Accessing the shift base
Using your long reach 10mm socket, remove the retaining nuts on the shifter base HERE
Once removed, use your long reach flat-head screwdriver and push it inbetween the stock metal insert and the rubber surround and pry the metal part out. They are easily removed and easily dropped if you have butterfingers.
Using your flathead screwdriver, pry off the covers on the sides of the console to access the hex-head screws that connect the base to the console. HERE
Once these are removed you can now lift the base assembly and remove the rubber bushings if they did not come out with the metal inserts. Pro-tip, it's much easier if you reach your hand under the assembly like THIS to pull the rubber bushings out from the bottom of the base.

Step 3: Insert your inserts (this is where I goofed on the first try)
Place the inserts into the existing base holes with the flat side up. Pro-tip, it is MUCH easier to complete the installation if you press the inserts into the plastic base BEFORE you position it onto the floor bolts. The forward-most inserts will take some doing as it is akin to pushing a round peg through a square hole but they will fit correctly.
You can see the inserts in the base HERE

Step 4: Putting it all together
Tighten everything back up the way you found it, duh.

Road Test: How does it feel?
In the thread where you see lots of SVT guys raving about these inserts, it's likely they DO notice a huge difference in shifting feel because the SVT base is stamped metal while ours is plastic. Plastic is softer than metal so we won't experience the same kind of "feel" that they are talking about; HOWEVER, I did notice that the gears engage much more solidly and the knob no longer "shakes" while cruising in 4th gear.

Well worth the 40 bones. Go buy the remaining sets of NON-SVT inserts from this guy and if he runs out, request that he make some more for the 2nd Gen crew!

2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks