Block Heater Installation - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
JayhawkDuke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98913
What I Drive: 2012 Focus, Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JayhawkDuke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Block Heater Installation

OK...I just got my new Focus delivered to me here in Sitka, AK. It's an island, and we have one shop in town (which can be pretty expensive). The dealer I bought the car from in WA didn't install the block heater...they just threw the cord in the trunk. It seems like something I can install myself, and I'm wondering if anybody knows exactly where it plugs in on the engine. There are a bunch of snap-on clips on the cord, so I'm hoping somebody has pictures of their block heater installed. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkDuke View Post
OK...I just got my new Focus delivered to me here in Sitka, AK. It's an island, and we have one shop in town (which can be pretty expensive). The dealer I bought the car from in WA didn't install the block heater...they just threw the cord in the trunk. It seems like something I can install myself, and I'm wondering if anybody knows exactly where it plugs in on the engine. There are a bunch of snap-on clips on the cord, so I'm hoping somebody has pictures of their block heater installed. Thanks!
That seems a bit strange to me and I'm not sure i understand completely.......Did they actually install the block heater and not bother to plug the cord on to it?If so, the dealer is an idiot...or did they just throw the actual block heater with the cord in the trunk?...installing a block heater can be a pain in the butt...it involves knocking out a frost plug in the block and then making sure that when refilling with antifreeze that you dont get an airlock in there somewhere and end up overheating...as well as making sure the heater doesnt leak, losing you all your antifreeze. If they did install the heater into the block, and charged you for it...make them put the cord on, as thats part of the install..and save yourself some grief. If you actually need to put in the heater, you might want to consider having it done.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I received my heater the same way. Considering my location, it's less of a necessity than yours.

I would definitely get in touch with your dealer and ask about reimbursement for having your shop install it. I didn't really look at mine, but it did appear to be plug-and-play. If it's in the bag still, there should be routing instructions inside.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The actual block heater is on the back side of the motor. It extends from the engine and points towards the driver's seat. It can be accessed from the top. The cord just plugs in then screws on to secure it. Then it just routes towards the driver's side headlight.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
deadknite
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95730
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 deadknite Good Standing Member
My car never came with a block heater(thought that was standard here in canada) but even withought one the car was starting at- 35c since have put one in and ya get the dealer to do it
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
My block heater cable is just stuffed in the engine bay next to the air box. Anybody have any good advice/pictures on where/how to correctly and securely route it?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This is the block heater in the engine.

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
focus wht
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49023
What I Drive: 2013 Focus TI White Platinum

FF Reputation: 1 focus wht Good Standing Member
In the bag with cord is pictures of where to route the cable and where to clip the cord to . If instruction is missing go see dealer as they discarded it. They are supposed to plug in and route cable as part of the PDI. You paid for the optional block heater which is installed at the factory then the dealer has the responsibility to connect cord and route cable.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96347
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
Anyone install an aftermarket one?? I bought one from the oreillys I work at. Doesn't look too hard to do.

Sent from my ADR6400L using FF Mobile
Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramk3 View Post
Anyone install an aftermarket one?? I bought one from the oreillys I work at. Doesn't look too hard to do.
You're going to do a how-to for us? You're too kind.

I was thinking about installing one too, but I might just skip that and go straight for the remote start that someone else posted.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->