Any interest in headlight modifications? - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #261
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It takes like 30 seconds to pull the headlights out though, it's two screws and on wire connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #262
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99623
What I Drive: 2012 focus titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Mrlandy Good Standing Member
Open up 2012 Focus titanium headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraychild View Post
Personally, I think I will be cutting the back housing to open it up, I tried the baking one in the oven and that wasn't successful... I'm thinking about painting/blacking out the chrome reflector around the Projectors and blacking out the chrome parts to make it look like the Ti headlight but leave the chrome around the High Beam too. I don't think I'll do any LED/LED strips in mine because I don't plan to ever open up the housing in the future to repair or replace anything... lol

I'm torn between the Morimoto H1 and D2S projectors though... it seems like the D2S ones are slightly smaller in overall dimensions, but would fit exactly the same... Wouldn't a D2S bulb be better in terms of light output and replicating an "OEM" approach?
Op

Hi All,

I opened up my headlights using heat gun only and found the best tool was a butterknife back edge to bend back the overlapping plastic. If you melt back the tab all the way around making sure the head gun flow is directed away from the clear plastic cover. You will be able to fold back the lip about 4" per section before you have to reheat. After the lip is folded back all the way around (about 1 hour per headlight) then use a sharp utility razor to score the back edge of the 3m gasket cement, reheat and start cutting and pulling out sections fo the space glue Ford uses. When you can see the edge of the clear outer lens exposed, start in the outside corner of the lens at the sharp point and heat the corner black back housing. Gently bend back the black plastic and the clear lens corner will pop out from the rear black housing. Now you can ease the butterknife around ubnder the lip of the clear lip and you'll see the clear lens separate from the black space gasket glue (the lens edge will show clear as it breaks it's bond from the back housing). Once you see clear all the way around, start pulling from the scarp outside corner to remove the lens from the body.

I installed a large led strip, soldered two together to match length I wanted, ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) on the top of the crome headlamp assembly and used GOOP automotive adhesive to secure the LED lights to the black housing underneath the lip (i'll post pics tonight).

I resealed the lights after removing the space gasket glue and used the same 3m gasket glue ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to reseal the headlamps, then used the heatgun to carefully melt the plastic lip back down and pushed with the flat edge of the butter knife to reseal. After everything was dry, I masked off the lenses and used plack plasti dip to spray around the seam in a few coats since I was worried about condensation and ran my led wires out of the top gasket hole next to the outside top edge of the headlamps. I did get condensation the next day (and it was raining) so I assumed that it was just the heat from the lamps after reassembly. I will put silica packs in the housing for a few days and check it again, if I still have condensation, i will reseal again with plasti dip.

It is a very cool mod for less than $20 and looks factory if you take your time. I already have the vent led lights on the front grill so i was able to slimply splice into the wire housing for those. Looks very cool and since it is a straight led line from side to side, it looks meaner than the audi's with the swooping curved led and better than the chinese led lenses. I am pleased with the mod. I'll post pics soon.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #263
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Here are the pics for my headlight LED mod. You can see in the pics that I have the daytime running lights like these: http://truckfancy.com/index.php?main...868e5b19c6bcfc that were dealer installed.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/imag0078h.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/imag0077oi.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/dsci0857.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/dsci0856u.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/dsci0855.jpg/
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #264
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i'm halfway done with my retrofit. will likely be up for sale this weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #265
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Have you had any issues with your superbright LED's burning out? I painstakingly took apart my headlights, installed the LED's and 3 days later most of them were flashing and most died. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just want to know that if I redo the lights with the superbright LED's that they'll last.

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Finally got the projectors installed! This is a very time consuming thing especially if you live in a apartment without a garage.

Here is my write up.

Disclaimer: I am no way responsible for any damages to your car or headlights due to your decision to tackle this project. If you feel this project is too challenging for you, hire a professional to do this modification.

Things you will need:

1) BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1) with Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds & H11 Wire Harness & 35w Bulbs/Ballasts- $270.00
2) Morimoto H11 Stand Alone Can Bus Harness- $30.00
3) Lots of Time
4) Lots of Patience

Step One: Very carefully get the headlights out of the car by removing the two screws and sliding them forward to remove them off the car. Then remove the headlight plugs.

Step Two: Now pre heat your oven to 275 degrees. While you are waiting for the oven to heat up, take a sharp hobby knife around the gap of the headlight to score the adhesive, as you are doing that remove the access adhesive that is sticking out from the factory. Once the oven is heated up, place one of the headlights in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Once 7-8 minutes have passed remove from the oven (BE CAREFUL ITS HOT SO USE OVEN MITTS) and start going at the headlight adhesive with sharp razor and scoring the adhesive, try to remove as much as possible. I also used a small flat head screw driver to pry up on the black plastic. BE CAREFUL TO WITH THE PLASTIC BECAUSE ITS HOT AND SOFT, IF YOU PRESS TOO HARD ON THE PLASTIC WITH THE FLAT HEAD YOU WILL PUNCTURE IT OR TEAR IT. Repeat this process until you have the headlight separated. Once you have the headlight separated, you need to remove the reflector from the black plastic piece. It just pops off with a some pulling. Firmly but carefully. If you wanna remove the crome inner-ring of the lens, you need to remove the screws by the turn signal housing with a T-10 screw driver. The it will require some wiggling around and it will come out easily.

All apart

Step Three: Next remove the little head light bulb end cap. Its a single screw (T-20) on the base of the reflector. Once you get that out, take a dremel and sand some material out of the bulb socket, go a little at a time until you are able to fit the projector in the hole snugly. Now. Where the bulb end cap was, grind out a little material so you can get the projector solenoid wire through it. Once you are done with that. Clean up all the dust. Install the silicon washer on the projector and install the projector by feeding the threads through the hole. If you look on the back of the projector (the shiny side) on the lip you will see "TOP" make sure that it is upright and on the top and as level as possible. Once you get the projector in place, you will need to wire the solenoid wire into the high beam harness. I pushed the blade tips into the backside of the pin connector on the black housing. Once you get that done, you will need to slice the rubber access covers that go on the backside of the black housing to make way for the the factory wire and the bulb wiring. The bulb wiring from Morimoto has a rubber grommet on it so I just pulled that through. Now reattach the reflector housing to the black housing by aligning the holes to the silver poles, done this firmly but carefully.

This is where I did the grinding to the slot where the little bulb end cap was.

This picture shows where the wire went through the slot and how the silicon grommet has to go on the projector.

The projector installed

The projector installed with the Min Gatling Gun Shroud.

How I fed the wires through the rubber plugs

Step Four: Reassemble the entire headlight assembly. Make sure you have removed most of the factory adhesive if not all. Now lay down your butle adhesive that you got from TRS. This stuff is very reactive so as soon as you start pushing the lens back on, it will start sticking so make sure you have the two plastic pins lined up as you are placing the lens back on. Then start pushing the lens on firmly. Once you have the headlights together place them in the oven at 275 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Once they come out the oven you may have to press some places of the headlight together again. Let the headlights cool off.

Step 5: Install the headlights into the car and wire the bulbs and ballasts. Everything in the kit connects together with 9006 plugs. I tried using the Stand alone Can-Bus Harness by itself as TRS advertises but it doesn't work, well it works part of the time. I think the harness overheats. So you have to use the regular harness that TRS normally packs in their kits.

Optional Mods: Ti Style Shroud and LED outlining.

The LED Outlining Mod:

I used the underside of the black part I painted. I just super glued the LED strand to the bottom of it. I had to super glue each LED until they dried. So it took me a while. Once they where all dried, I ran the wire to the back and assembled my headlight assembly. I ran the positive wires to the fusebox and used a slot that was powered when the car was started. I ran the ground wires to the ground on the strut mount.

The LED strip I used I was able to cut with 36 LEDs (I think) on each side. Here is the link where I bought them. They are the Cool Blue that cost $22.95+ Shipping
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...light-bar/123/

All Installed pictures: Daytime

Installed pictures night time:

Light Shot from drivers side of car with High Beams Off 5000k bulbs

Light shot from drivers side of car with High Beams On 5000k Bulbs and Stock High Beam bulbs installed

Cut off with Highbeams off 5000k Bulbs

Overall, the install was very time consuming and not the easiest thing. But these projectors are very bright with a nice cutoff. I plan on upgrading the bulbs in the high beam space to some that match the color of the HIDs. I do still have the bulb out warning come on but for now the lights work flawless. Feel free to ask questions about the install. I hope this helps anyone willing to tackle the job.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #266
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlandy View Post
Have you had any issues with your superbright LED's burning out? I painstakingly took apart my headlights, installed the LED's and 3 days later most of them were flashing and most died. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just want to know that if I redo the lights with the superbright LED's that they'll last.

Thanks for your help.

-Mark
I had no problem with my LED's for the month I had them in there. I took them out because they prohibited upward adjustment of the headlight. So my headlights were pretty much starring at the ground. Is that Amazon link were you bought them from? I got mine from SuperBrightLED's

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #267
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
finished my projector retrofit and put them up for sale here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4685436
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #268
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
Hurray for foglights and more foglights.

Just a car I seen online.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #269
Mrlandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

My Finished Headlight Mod part 2:

Here's a pic of my ebay backup cam install:

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #270
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlandy View Post
My Finished Headlight Mod part 2:

Here's a pic of my ebay backup cam install:

So did just plugging in the camera make it work on the MFT screen?

Bookmarks & Social Networks