Flash memory card or USB stick to play WMA files 2012 Titanium - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102024
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 lifespeed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieB View Post
The sound system in these cars isn't exactly high-fidelity, so you lose nothing with a good MP3
It is good enough to hear the difference betwen MP3 and lossless. I'm sure we'll all use whatever we prefer.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

WMA works fine, just need more space

I played a few WMA-format tunes on the way to work. They sounded pretty good, but the 4GB flash drive I had laying around was filled up with about 10 albums.

I'm going to try this USB 3.0 SSD by Kanguru to hold my entire music collection. Will be nice, so long as I don't run into some weird technological block.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

256GB flash drive fails

So I bought a 256GB SSD (solid state drive) with USB 3.0 interface. Yes, I'm sure the 2012 Focus MyFord Touch only supports USB 2.0, but USB 3.0 is backwards-compatible.

Unfortunately, I find the 256GB Kanguru SSD does not work in the Focus!!
I formatted it to FAT32 and copied over several folders of WMA lossless music. Doesn't even see the drive. When I plug in a 4GB thumb drive with WMA music it sees it fine.

Any idea if there is something I can do to make this drive compatible with MyFord Touch? I thought FAT32 filesystem was the extent of what is needed. The Kanguru SSD appears to power up fine plugged into MFT . . .

Edit: my USB 2.0 ports on my PC work fine with this USB 3.0 drive, as expected.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Patriot 128GB FTW!

I bought a Patriot 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive formatted FAT32 to replace the Kanguru incompatible clunker. It works great! I am playing lossless WMA on the pretty decent factory Sony stereo. I'm only up to the letter C organizing and tagging my music collection, so still a bit of work to go. MediaMonkey is an excellent tool for this.

Can I just get another one of these drives to put in the second USB slot for 256 GB of storage? Will MyFord Touch seamlessly access across two drives, or will it make me select which one I browse?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Smeeagain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114588
What I Drive: 2012, blk Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Smeeagain Good Standing Member
On my 2012 Mustang I have a 128GB usb stick connected and it works fine, though I only have about 61 gigs of music on it.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
Smeeagain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114588
What I Drive: 2012, blk Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Smeeagain Good Standing Member
There are some people that have bought portable 500GB hd and hooked them up via the usb2 and stored them in the glove box. This is on the Mustang though, don't know if it would work on the Focus, but I don't see why not since both are running Sync.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #17
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

sync is a buggy pos

I'm on the latest update for sync, with the 128GB Patriot flash drive. Thing reboots quite often, freezes, or does other stupid software buggy behavior. Constantly "indexing" the flash drive. Stops indexing for awhile if I force a reboot, but seems to always go back to buggy.

Really a pretty annoying attempt by Ford/Microsoft. I would rather have an aftermarket stereo.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
I'm on the latest update for sync, with the 128GB Patriot flash drive. Thing reboots quite often, freezes, or does other stupid software buggy behavior. Constantly "indexing" the flash drive. Stops indexing for awhile if I force a reboot, but seems to always go back to buggy.

Really a pretty annoying attempt by Ford/Microsoft. I would rather have an aftermarket stereo.
I experienced the same when using the SD card slot, glad I don't have navigation so I can just leave that slot empty.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
lifespeed
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

update

The horrible buggy behavior of MyFord Touch is mitigated somewhat by disabling automatic phone book syncing with my Android phone in Phone Settings.

Didn't find that one in the owners manual.

Hope this helps a frustrated Focus owner.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.