Serpentine belt install problem - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
StayinFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113867
What I Drive: 02 ZTS 03 ZX3 Both Metallic Blue!

FF Reputation: 1 StayinFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I installed the new tensioner and nothing changed I couldn't even get the belt "staged" to try and slip on at the tensioner. I am going to return this belt and try another brand I guess, this really sucks I am out of ideas at this point.

Anyone know if THIS would get it on?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,091, Level 34
Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
I used to rent that out all the time when I worked at the store, it does nothing you can't do at home with double wrenches.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
StayinFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok got er done! Turns out my problem was trying to use a 15mm box wrench with a 18" pipe over it wouldn't pull on the tensioner far enough. the pipe would hit the lower suspension arm. So I rented a serpintine belt install tool and the belt finally went on, still very tight though.

So the ZX3 got new plugs, new waterpump, new serpentine, new timing belt, replaced all 4 belt pulleys, new valve cover gasket, new coolant overflow tank & coolant. Didnt replace motor mount cause I think mine is fine. Also popped in a set of sway bar end links. Took her over to tire store and 4 new tires and 4 way alignment. I also did the "dreaded hatchback wiring harness fix" yesterday since my brakelights were stuck on and cruise quit working.

I am tired, taking a break for now then I get to do the timing belt on my other Focus weee lucky me!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Autoxzx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112232
What I Drive: 2003 Silver zx3

Points 507, Level 10
Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Autoxzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How long did it take you to do the belt?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
StayinFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoxzx3 View Post
How long did it take you to do the belt?
The belt alone took about 6-7 hours
Old 05-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,091, Level 34
Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34 Points: 3,091, Level: 34
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Should've known when you hit the suspension arm..................why I said the two wrenches to use, they make a shorter couple with more degree of swing available.

Not trying to insult at all, rather to show others too long a handle there is worse, not better.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #17
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Hey Stay, your going to hate me for this but I thought your belt was too LOOSE. There's a trick with the focus to get the serp belt on and off. No cheater pipe is needed, just a plain old 15mm wrench.

What you do is raise the car, get positioned right under the belt, reach up with the wrench in your left hand and pull the tensioner down - then grab the bottom of the belt in between the crank pully and AC pully with your right hand and pull down on both the belt and the wrench on the tensioner at the same time.

You will figure out that you can use this trick to work the tensioner and the belt slack in tandem - pull a bit on the belt, get a little slack,then pull on the tensioner wrench, slack is taken up, pull on on the belt some more - work them back and forth - then once you get enough slack you can just push the serp belt right off the AC pully.

What everyone does the first time is try pulling down on the tensioner wrench only - you would have to be Godzilla to get that to work - but if your pulling down on the tensioner wrench AND the belt in between the crank and AS compressor pully, it is simple as can be to get enough slack to lift the belt off the AC pully.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
marcanjelo7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65638
What I Drive: 2001 Blue SE

Points 442, Level 8
Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8 Points: 442, Level: 8
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 marcanjelo7 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you can also push the tensioner with your hand. then slip the belt off at the ac. always works for me. that's good that you got it on. :)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Autoxzx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112232
What I Drive: 2003 Silver zx3

Points 507, Level 10
Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10 Points: 507, Level: 10
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Autoxzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Waow 6 to 7 hours. How often should you replace the timing belt? I inspected mine a couple days ago but it looks ok. I have 120k miles.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
StayinFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoxzx3 View Post
Waow 6 to 7 hours. How often should you replace the timing belt? I inspected mine a couple days ago but it looks ok. I have 120k miles.
I changed mine at 124k so your probably due. Its better to do it before it breaks on you and may cause you to grenade your motor! I don't know if the zetec is a non interference motor or not but I wouldn't chance it. My other Focus has 140k on it and I bought it used so I don't know if its been changed or not, it runs real smooth and quiet. I will pull the top cover off of it and see if its been changed I guess. You can get a new belt and water pump combo for less than 100 on ebay and then you'll need a serpentine and the 2 pulleys, a weekend and probably at least an 18 pack of beer and your all set. A shop quoted me 650 to do it and they said if there were any problems that amount would go up! I am not a mechanic but I am broke so I had to become one real quick.

When you start your engine cold does it make any odd noises from the timing belt area? Mine did and the noise would slowly go away after about 5-10 minutes. After the belt swap it no longer makes any strange noises so i guess that's a sign of the belt being at the wear limit.

If you decide to go for it you may as well change out your sway bar end links, get a set of new plugs (its easier to turn the crankshaft with a wrench if you remove your plugs) and maybe throw in a set of front brake pads. The end links are easy to do just 4 bolts, if they wont budge you can cut the bolts off. I used a dremel tool to cut a notch in the bolts and then soak em with wd40 then they came off pretty easy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.