My Ford Touch Problems On Local News Story - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

Points 3,024, Level 33
Points: 3,024, Level: 33 Points: 3,024, Level: 33 Points: 3,024, Level: 33
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep - I got an SE with a manual..and avoided both major issues with this car... the DCT and the MFT.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
I have yet to run into any major issues yet with my DCT or MFT and I am ~1300 miles and ~55 hours in.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102567
What I Drive: Black 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
I have yet to run into any major issues yet with my DCT or MFT and I am ~1300 miles and ~55 hours in.

Same here for the DCT.

As for MFT, I had some minor issues up until 3.5.1 came out. Now the only issue I have that ford can't seem to fix is if I get in the car and make a phone call before I turn on the radio. Once I end the call and turn the radio on, the volume is full blast for a second and then goes back to normal. If the radio is already on before I make the call, when the call ends, everything is fine. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue.

Future Mods: Coilovers, End-Links, Tune, and Brakes
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,635, Level 95
Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics.

I'm glad I got the technology. While I feel for those that have had issues, I'm not one of them (yet?) with about 16,500 miles on the clock. A couple quirks and some learning curve, but outside of that
2014 FiST-
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
Trol1374
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114168
What I Drive: 2013 gray focus Titanium MFT/nav,

FF Reputation: 1 Trol1374 Good Standing Member
I haven't had these problems with MFT. I wonder how many that are having problems, don't have the latest updates? Like any software install, I would bet a lot of those with problems might have had a bad install during their upgrade.
I've read lots of complaints in various sources and they haven't installed the latest, so instead they just complain and say they don't have time or want to hassle with it. But will put up with the hassle of it not working correctly.
A few probably have some bad hardware problems. But I'm not ready to say the entire MFT is a waste and worthless when mine is working.

Also, I have the auto tranny with 1500k miles and no issues.

Last edited by Trol1374; 05-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 1,354, Level 20
Points: 1,354, Level: 20 Points: 1,354, Level: 20 Points: 1,354, Level: 20
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
I'm very glad I got an auto and MFT. MFT has a few issues. Most issues are with Nav and with bluetooth on smartphone. I don't have either(Nav or smartphone) so mine is pretty good. I've got over 40k miles no issues with DCT.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
It amazes me the number of people who are willing to accept the issues that MFT has. I paid 26k USD for a car, I expect it to work properly, or for Ford to fix the flaws. In fact, Ford promised me that it would fix the issues in the form of a warranty that they are NOT fulfilling.

I see a small but significant minority of people in the MFT threads saying "everything works fine" - and when I point out flaws that are easily repeatable in the 3.5.1 software, they blow it off as unimportant. If the bother to try, they can repeat the issues, however.

If this was a $200 phone with buggy software, or a 99 cent "app", I'd be more forgiving of the issues. However, car companies charge thousands of dollars for these "infotainment" systems. When questioned on why their technology is costing 10 and 20 times what similar technology costs in the consumer space, they claim its because they have to be more reliable, etc.

Guess what? Its NOT more reliable. It's actually LESS reliable. The Kenwood head unit in my previous vehicle had nav, bluetooth, pandora, touch screen, played DVD's, a functional ipod interface, sirius, and at times I think it washed dishes, and said "bless you" when I sneezed... and it worked all the time. Cost? $750. (DNX6900HD)

Ford claims that "MFT" enhances safety. By making that claim, Ford takes on a responsibility to fulfill it. However, due to the flaws, it can actually REDUCE safety as the user is encouraged to pay less attention to the road in front of them and more attention to the touch screen trying to get things working. I'm not suggesting that this user SHOULD be doing that - only that they will.

Those saying that Ford shouldn't be responsible for that probably also think that Ford shouldn't be responsible for the seatbelt warning light, the passenger airbag, or other numerous safety issues... (However, various government agencies have decided that car manufacturers are responsible for protecting us from ourselves. Ford is also responsible for making sure we can't use certain functions when the car is moving...)

If MFT decides to flip out, the "manual" controls (power, volume, and A/C controls) can become non-responsive. As well, the speakers can start making a VERY LOUD squealing noise. I've had this happen twice. That's not a safety issue? Actually, it IS. As well as startling the driver, the noise is a MAJOR distraction, the user trying to turn knobs and press buttons to get it to stop making the noise is a major distraction, and forcing the user to pull over on the side of a busy highway to turn off the engine and open a door is also a safety issue.

I once considered giving this focus titanium to my daughter for her to learn to drive. I originally figured that "MFT" would help to keep her safer, as I know I can't forcibly prevent her from doing stupid things (like chatting on the phone and text messaging in the car), but perhaps that the features in MFT would encourage her to do it in a safer manner. After having the car for 2 weeks, however, I consider that MFT actually will make things LESS safe.

(Oh, and anyone who thinks they can really prevent a teenager from doing stupid things is living in a fantasy world - don't bother replying.)

Just because YOU aren't having issues with the MFT flaws (and are willing to live with them), please don't berate others if they aren't happy with the flaws, or find that the flaws endanger their safety.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
The MFT has its quirks, but overall I'm still satisfied with it and the functionality that it provides. When searching through my USB stick it's super simple to get specific albums, artist, etc. Not to mention the preset icon views for sat-radio.

Since I got the software upgrade I have only had two reboots while driving, both while it was giving me directions in town and if you aren't rolling the directions will not download properly for the turn-by-turn. So there's an issue about once a month or less frequent than that.

I do have an issue with the weekly incidents where I stop at the store or to get gas and its resets the music on the USB back to song 1 of 500, when I was playing a specific album and wanted to resume the same song. I didn't want to listen to all the songs in alphabetical order.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,950, Level 39
Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
It amazes me the number of people who are willing to accept the issues that MFT has. I paid 26k USD for a car, I expect it to work properly, or for Ford to fix the flaws. In fact, Ford promised me that it would fix the issues in the form of a warranty that they are NOT fulfilling.

I see a small but significant minority of people in the MFT threads saying "everything works fine" - and when I point out flaws that are easily repeatable in the 3.5.1 software, they blow it off as unimportant. If the bother to try, they can repeat the issues, however.

If this was a $200 phone with buggy software, or a 99 cent "app", I'd be more forgiving of the issues. However, car companies charge thousands of dollars for these "infotainment" systems. When questioned on why their technology is costing 10 and 20 times what similar technology costs in the consumer space, they claim its because they have to be more reliable, etc.

Guess what? Its NOT more reliable. It's actually LESS reliable. The Kenwood head unit in my previous vehicle had nav, bluetooth, pandora, touch screen, played DVD's, a functional ipod interface, sirius, and at times I think it washed dishes, and said "bless you" when I sneezed... and it worked all the time. Cost? $750. (DNX6900HD)

Ford claims that "MFT" enhances safety. By making that claim, Ford takes on a responsibility to fulfill it. However, due to the flaws, it can actually REDUCE safety as the user is encouraged to pay less attention to the road in front of them and more attention to the touch screen trying to get things working. I'm not suggesting that this user SHOULD be doing that - only that they will.

Those saying that Ford shouldn't be responsible for that probably also think that Ford shouldn't be responsible for the seatbelt warning light, the passenger airbag, or other numerous safety issues... (However, various government agencies have decided that car manufacturers are responsible for protecting us from ourselves. Ford is also responsible for making sure we can't use certain functions when the car is moving...)

If MFT decides to flip out, the "manual" controls (power, volume, and A/C controls) can become non-responsive. As well, the speakers can start making a VERY LOUD squealing noise. I've had this happen twice. That's not a safety issue? Actually, it IS. As well as startling the driver, the noise is a MAJOR distraction, the user trying to turn knobs and press buttons to get it to stop making the noise is a major distraction, and forcing the user to pull over on the side of a busy highway to turn off the engine and open a door is also a safety issue.

I once considered giving this focus titanium to my daughter for her to learn to drive. I originally figured that "MFT" would help to keep her safer, as I know I can't forcibly prevent her from doing stupid things (like chatting on the phone and text messaging in the car), but perhaps that the features in MFT would encourage her to do it in a safer manner. After having the car for 2 weeks, however, I consider that MFT actually will make things LESS safe.

(Oh, and anyone who thinks they can really prevent a teenager from doing stupid things is living in a fantasy world - don't bother replying.)

Just because YOU aren't having issues with the MFT flaws (and are willing to live with them), please don't berate others if they aren't happy with the flaws, or find that the flaws endanger their safety.
I am happy with MFT because it has never failed me except for the first week when it rebooted (and that was before the 3.5.1 update). I haven't read anyone berating someone else about their MFT problems. It is clear that some folks are having real problems with MFT, however.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Gary does have many valid points. Of course not everyone has problems like some of us do or did in my case but just think of this for a moment. You buy a tv for a grand lets say and it acts up out of the box , most would return it . You pay minimum 20000 dollars ( 30000 for mine in Canada) and because of the way car purchases work , you are stuck with it. No logic in that . Yes there is warranty coverage but I bet if they were held more accountable there would be better quality control. Now back to MFT , my 2013 works by far much better than my 2012, features that were supposed to work in my 2012 didn't or were non existent.My climate controls were out of sync, radio didn't display song info etc. And the list goes on.
I find there are car owners and car drivers. The latter enjoy their cars, as it is an extension of their personality and the features they paid for are to enhance the enjoyment of the driving experience and should function fully . I don't think that is too far fetched or too much to ask for.
All in all finally enjoying my car now :-)

Last edited by gostinger; 05-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.