Augh! Help with amp & speaker install please... - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
mister_eff
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110362
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mister_eff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, here is my Focus SEL's stock EQ. Here's the chain for how I got it:
iPod -> Aux. Input -> Head Unit -> High-Level Signal -> Alpine PXA-H800 -> Sony M10 recorder.

The M10 was plugged in directly to the RCA output of the PXA-H800. ie, no microphones were involved, and this doesn't account for the speaker system.

I did the front left and front right, and they are identical. I haven't done the rear speakers yet. I expect they'll be the same as the front though. Also, the EQ is different for the front-left and front-right speakers when the audio system is set to "optimize for driver", so I would keep it as "optimize for all" and adjust from there. Maybe when I finish everything I should make a post with all this stuff.

So, if you want to make that flat on a 1/3 octave band level, you would adjust the EQ as:
20: +24.5
25: +18
31.5: +14
40: +9.5
50: +5
63: +1
80: -1.5
100: +3
125: -2
160: -3.5
200: -0.5
250: +0.5
315: +1.5
400: -1.5
500: -4
630: -3
800: +1.5
1000: +6
1250: +7
1600: +3.5
2000: 0
2500: -1.5
3150: -1
4000: +1.5
5000: +4
6300: +2.5
8000: +3
10000: +6.5
12500: +6
16000: +2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112784
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black C-Max

FF Reputation: 1 HotPotato Good Standing Member
Update!

I ended up installing a sub, and tuning further.

First tried an underseat sub. Sounded awful, but demonstrated that you can run a sub without triggering interference with the active noise cancellation, as long as you don't turn it up too much.

So I replaced it with a 10" Pioneer "flat" down-firing sub in the cargo area, hooked to an inexpensive mono sub amp. (Connected to the Bit Ten's sub outs, of course.) Much better. And as a long low box, the Pioneer is invisible to thieves and keeps the cargo area useful...you just stack your groceries on top of it.

After massive cuts to the midbass frequencies with the Bit Ten, the system is sounding better for sure. I suspect Ford gooses the midbass frequencies to make the active noise cancellation more effective at smothering road and engine noise, but the C-Max is a very quiet car regardless, no need to muddy up the music like that.

Further tweaking with the Bit Ten software may help. Maybe it's worth doing the professional Bit Tune, which I have not done. But I can't advise others to spend all this dough as I have. If your budget is limited, I suspect a cheap 25w/ch digital amp, a powered sub, and turning up the treble would get you 75% of the way to where I am for 25% the price.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #23
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPotato View Post
The trick with the C-max is that active noise cancellation and subs often don't get along
That's not what is causing your problem. ANC in the C-Max is for the noises that the electric drivetrain makes- not road noise or audio noise. The frequencies are set, and not something like Alpine's ANC in the DSP that has a mic. That's why you hear road noise and wind noise. If you had mic'd ANC, you wouldn't hear that stuff if you were in the seating position that the DSP was set up for.

Think of it sort of like the "perimeter security system" that is not the same thing as a real alarm because it only goes off if someone reaches through a window to open the door.

Good luck though. I have Sony MFT+Nav in my C-Max SEL (comes with DSP), and yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way. I screwed up when I ordered my Focus wagon as an SE without a few options I didn't think I needed, but I gave up a lot for the sake of not getting a 6 disc in dash CD changer. I could've had the dealer swap it out for the single disc MP3 for me. That's the last vehicle that I will get without all the options. The only thing we don't have on our C-Max is the Energi stuff- didn't want to lose the trunk space. Now I need a second C-Max because the wifey hardly travels 5 miles per day. Lesson learned x2.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunSamurai2005 View Post
If the car stereo shop tells you it cant be possible to install an amp i would stay away from them. Also the reason your new speakers dont sound as loud as it should be is because factory speaker dont require alot of watts. Aftermarket speaker do requires an amp. Good luck.
THis^ All it takes is a Line out converter... stay away from that shop.
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #25
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112784
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black C-Max

FF Reputation: 1 HotPotato Good Standing Member
ANC is in fact miked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
That's not what is causing your problem. ANC in the C-Max is for the noises that the electric drivetrain makes- not road noise or audio noise. The frequencies are set, and not something like Alpine's ANC in the DSP that has a mic. That's why you hear road noise and wind noise. If you had mic'd ANC, you wouldn't hear that stuff if you were in the seating position that the DSP was set up for.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I don't think that's correct. Look in the ceiling above each front seat and above the center rear seat and you will see 1" mikes in the ceiling. Turn up an aftermarket sub and you will get the trademark whomping sound. Drive slowly with the window down and the gas engine at steady state producing an annoying low frequency drone, and notice over about 60 seconds the ANC will detect and smother the drone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks