What would you replace your focus with? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What would you replace your focus with?

So I've about had my fill of the transmission in my focus, and the MFT, and every little issue that is listed as 'that's how the car is supposed to act'. I can't get my wife to even drive in my car with me because she can't stand how it shifts, so yesterday we were talking about it and she said 'Why don't you just go trade it in?' So I got to thinking, what the heck would I even get? I have all of 7k miles on this thing, I hate to lose money on trading it, but I think I might go ahead and do just that. But, I have no idea what I'd even look at. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
sekazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114026
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Tux. Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sekazi Good Standing Member
If I wanted to do it I would get a 2014 Mazda 3 when they are released. The redesign is sure to look amazing. But if in a hurry the 2013 Mazda 3 is always nice.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102567
What I Drive: Black 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
If I wanted to do it I would get a 2014 Mazda 3 when they are released. The redesign is sure to look amazing. But if in a hurry the 2013 Mazda 3 is always nice.
+1

I had a mazdaspeed 6 before the focus and would have gone with the 3 if they did not come out with the MK3. I drove an MK2 last week and it is night and day compared to the MK3.

Future Mods: Coilovers, End-Links, Tune, and Brakes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Touring05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96695
What I Drive: 2012 ISM SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Touring05 Good Standing Member
2014 mazda 6 or 2013 honda accord sport
Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Genesis coupe (not the new ones, the 2010-era ones)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102567
What I Drive: Black 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
Genesis coupe (not the new ones, the 2010-era ones)
Turbo or v6?

Future Mods: Coilovers, End-Links, Tune, and Brakes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The other car i liked was the Mazda 3.
I just do not like the local Mazda dealers..

I want even better MPGs when i DO plan on trading in, in afew years..
I might find a Ford hybrid like the Ford Fusion.
If they made a Focus hybrid like the Fusion say by 2016 or so... Then i would consider it.
I want 47mpg city...
Most of my driving is city.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
(Being you are referencing the DCT, I'm guessing you prefer something with an auto transmission...)

The one issue with the 2013 Mazda3 (i trim with the new engine) is the automatic transmission. Sure, it's more reliable than the Ford DCT, but it has this REALLY annoying hesitation. It's kind of amusing to be at a full stop, and there's a 1-2 second hesitation between pressing the gas pedal and the car actually going.

The hesitation isn't quite so bad once your moving, but it's similar for "passing." You're going 40 MPH, and push the gas pedal down to pass... and the car hesitates for a second or two before it reacts.

(In a way, it's comical that the car feels like it has more power than the focus, but it just takes it a second to realize that.)

Other than that, it's a nice car. I'm not fond of the exterior front end of the car... it just looks too much like a clown face... but I'm sure anyone could get used to that.

Another similar car you might consider is the dodge dart. If that's in your thoughts, please test drive one first. Regardless of what the statistics might say, both of the current dart engines (2.0 air and the smaller turbo) are anemic. Get in one, get up to 45 MPH (it should only take you about 30 seconds) and then press down on the gas pedal like it's an emergency. While the mazda3 takes a second to realize you want to go fast, the dodge realizes what you WANT immediately, but just can't do anything about it. A base model honda civic has more energy than the current dart.

I hate to admit it, but there really aren't any really good choices right now. Perhaps the mazda3 "S" trim, but then you lose fuel efficiency. Likely the same problem with the upcoming dodge dart "gt."

However you go, I wish you luck. I'd also like to hear what you come up with.

Take care
Gary
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
So I've about had my fill of the transmission in my focus, and the MFT, and every little issue that is listed as 'that's how the car is supposed to act'. I can't get my wife to even drive in my car with me because she can't stand how it shifts, so yesterday we were talking about it and she said 'Why don't you just go trade it in?' So I got to thinking, what the heck would I even get? I have all of 7k miles on this thing, I hate to lose money on trading it, but I think I might go ahead and do just that. But, I have no idea what I'd even look at. Any suggestions?
Would this be for a ''Like vechicle''? Another words same type of car= 4cyl auto/ 4dr car? Or would you upgrade for performance & handling?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
I bought the Focus because I've always liked Fords and for what was in that range it was the best out there. I got the automatic because I sit in rush hour a lot and thought I'd prefer that to shifting. I prefer to shift. I've toyed with the idea of getting an ST, if you can get an ST without the MFT. I seriously considered a used 3 series, and I might go look at one of those too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks