Focus Power Range - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
MrTitus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114211
What I Drive: 2000 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 MrTitus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Focus Power Range

I've been curious about this for a long time, but i figured i should ask.

When driving my ford Foci (i used to have a 2001 ZX3 with the DOHC, but now i have a 2000 Sedan SE SOHC, both manual transmission) I have noticed an audible changed when passing the 3,000 RPM range, where it sounds like i get a bit more power.

My question regarding this, is if there is an actual power change, cam change, or what have you. Like i mentioned, it's done this with both of my Foci, even though they have different engines and transmissions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Unless it's the svt there are no cam degree movement or runner movement. I too noticed a sound change at that range when I had a cone filter on the end of the stock intake with the lower half of the air block in there. With my intake now I notice no sound change I would more than likely say it's the harmonics of the intake tract
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
MrTitus
Focus Rookie

Cool

I agree... I have noticed it's easier to climb some highway hills when i'm in fifth gear if i have the rev's at or above 3,000 RPM, which obviously means i'm doing about 80, but i don't lose speed on the hill once above that range, but if i'm doing 65-70, it slowly loses speed... Could just be the power band...

Sometimes it almost feels like a change in oompf out of the engine when passing the 3,000, but if it's a boost, it can't be much, the car only has 110 Hp, lol
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you look at your typical dyno curve you have more power in higher RPMs hence why hill climbs go easier in the Higher range.. To put it simply no there is no cam or runner change on a SOHC or Zetec engine. Its not like the Honda with VTEC. The only thing you could be hearing is the car pulling in more are to feed itself.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
MrTitus
Focus Rookie

I may have forgotten to specify that my '00 SE has an '04 SOHC engine, does this changed anything?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Reread my above post. I reference zetec and sohc(spi) so no. Our cars do not have runner flaps or variable cam timing.

here is an example of a dyno showing a power curve. This is a turbo car so ignore the numbers the curve is similar but not the same as a car with out one. Its the best I could find in a quick time. It is also for a duratec.

notice as rpm go up so does power.

EDIT: this is a really bad example it only show from 3k on... You should still get the idea though.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Short answer, in a focus zetec/duratec/spi? No... Closest thing is the svt and it has to do with the IM, not the cams or valves.

Here the best example i always give about valve/cam change

A toyota 2zz engine (vvtL-i) the L stands for lift, why this engine? because i used to have one and have experience in it. Yes! Many other engine makers have similar desings. Honda = vtec/ivtec, nissan = vvt (early 90's sentra se-r) and so on. And im talking about the valve/cam engagement you can actually feel and pushes you into the seat, not the valve/cam change almost every car maker now uses for fuel economy (that one you cant feel)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aQamT66EAxI

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Hv3JABx98

And heres a dyno sheet, look at the rpm spike at 6800ish, only a/f tuned here. Lift was left stock

Same engine, diff dyno, tune and car. Valve lift has been set/tuned to engage at lower rpms (5600ish)= moar powa'
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm surprised the tuning wizards here are clueless what he's feeling... Here's a clue about it, your dyno graphs as shown are worthless to show anything about it.

in the old non vct zetec and sohc engines timing was used to make the power curve allowing the engine to build power to near its redline. if the timing was left at a set point you would have to decide where you wanted power.
Think of it as an old carbed engine where the distributor had a vacuum advance which would change the timing to make more power when vaccum was applied due to wot or load.. It's just done through the ecu programming now and can be added to or subtracted from anywhere along the rpm range.
in naturally aspirated its rarely messed with so I guess I can't blame the overlook, in boosted applications its critical.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It has nothing to do with power or ignition (per-se),

It has more to do with camshaft timing and cylinder filling vs RPM. This becomes quite obvious if you have adjustable camshaft gears and adjust them or have an aftermarket intake manifold.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->