Looking for PCV valve - Any Engine pics available? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'll see if I can ask the mechanic about the oil separator or get my hands on it
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #42
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Thanks for the pics! I am glad to see that my time wasn't a waste with bad info. I wonder how long it will take until the oil separator fills up. Then what will happen.
I always assumed that it would drain back into the engine, are you saying it does not? I never even considered that.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
I always assumed that it would drain back into the engine, are you saying it does not? I never even considered that.
I wouldn't imagine it would drain back into the engine. Two reasons.

1) Pretty much defeats the purpose of a oil seperator (In a way)

2) The oil it would capture would be milky and contaminated.

If it does drain back in there. This would be an excellent reason to use a high quality oil and filter.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I wouldn't imagine it would drain back into the engine. Two reasons.

1) Pretty much defeats the purpose of a oil seperator (In a way)

2) The oil it would capture would be milky and contaminated.

If it does drain back in there. This would be an excellent reason to use a high quality oil and filter.
Several of the catch cans I looked at drained back into the engine, they do catch a good amount of crud, from what I remember, about 4 to 6 ounces at 5K to 7.5K miles in turbo applications on good motors. And it was milky with at least three layers (maybe four). Gives one pause, does it not?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Upon further consideration, if the oil separator draws air from the block and the "PCV" hose from cam cover to intake also draws air, where is it coming from? I don't remember seeing a breather like you would see on the cam cover of a V8 so where is the air sourced from?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #46
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
The Ford separators I've seen drain the oil back into the crankcase and contain a mesh - like medium that acts as a course filter. A small amount of water shouldn't be an issue and will easily vaporize in hot oil.

Considering this is a direct - injected engine, I would much rather have it drain back than to enter the intake where it could never be cleaned from the intake valves. Those are the only two options unless you install a catch can.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Upon further consideration, if the oil separator draws air from the block and the "PCV" hose from cam cover to intake also draws air, where is it coming from? I don't remember seeing a breather like you would see on the cam cover of a V8 so where is the air sourced from?
There is a breather hose that runs from the intake to the cam cover.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #48
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
There is a breather hose that runs from the intake to the cam cover.
I never even though of that , I just assumed it was drawing from the cam cover TO the intake. Now, that I think about it, it just makes so much sense.

They call that hose the PCV hose so if the flow is from the main air filter to the intake and before the throttle body then the whole picture falls into place, they use the pressure differential across the throttle body for the source vacuum in the PCV system. Sweet, simple and reliable.

Now, if that purple thing is an actual valve then the entire system is completely explained. Duh, one stupid assumption had me flummoxed for weeks, I feel so stupid sometimes that it hurts.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #49
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
The Ford separators I've seen drain the oil back into the crankcase and contain a mesh - like medium that acts as a course filter. A small amount of water shouldn't be an issue and will easily vaporize in hot oil.

Considering this is a direct - injected engine, I would much rather have it drain back than to enter the intake where it could never be cleaned from the intake valves. Those are the only two options unless you install a catch can.
Assuming (there I go again) that Ford has implemented the cam timing changes that allow the intake valves to get washed with fuel (that 6 hour stint on other sites and Google), we should be good. Implementing a catch can on this engine looks to be a rather big project, I can only see the purple thing (Assumption again that it IS a PCV valve) with a flashlight and it is Tight in there.

Time, and other people taking pictures of their intake valves after many miles will tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #50
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
They call that hose the PCV hose so if the flow is from the main air filter to the intake and before the throttle body then the whole picture falls into place, they use the pressure differential across the throttle body for the source vacuum in the PCV system. Sweet, simple and reliable.
Indeed.

Quote:
Assuming (there I go again) that Ford has implemented the cam timing changes that allow the intake valves to get washed with fuel (that 6 hour stint on other sites and Google), we should be good.
Yeah, I've read that too, but I just can't believe that process is nearly as effective at washing the valves as port injection. I think Ford has implemented DI very well, but I still would rather not have crankcase vapors/deposits getting in there. Let the hot oil, detergents and oil filter take care of it, I say.

As you say though, time will tell.
Hatch Nation #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks