Dome light not coming on automatically at night - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114191
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver Metallic, SE

FF Reputation: 1 ronkoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"Doom" light, same problem. I believe it's a program glitch. Dealership told me the car goes into a sleep mode to conserve energy. Power to the control module for the dome light goes off. What a crock! That's not the case because, when I do not lock my car door, no matter how long the car sits, the dome light always comes on when the door is opened. No conserving energy there! Contacted Ford Customer Service. I'll post there response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkoe View Post
"Doom" light, same problem. I believe it's a program glitch. Dealership told me the car goes into a sleep mode to conserve energy. Power to the control module for the dome light goes off. What a crock! That's not the case because, when I do not lock my car door, no matter how long the car sits, the dome light always comes on when the door is opened. No conserving energy there! Contacted Ford Customer Service. I'll post there response.
Update "doom" light. On page 125 of the Owner's Guide it reads, "The dome light WILL turn on when: any door is opened. Also when: the remote entry controls are pressed and the ignition is off. There you have it.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
jello_bob
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107882
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SFE

FF Reputation: 1 jello_bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by annewaldron View Post
I've discovered that if I unlock the car, then lock again, then unlock again, the dome light comes on. Stupid, but it's been working.
I just tested this and it indeed works.

I thought I was the only one having these strange problems with my dome light but glad to know someone found a working solution.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Arrow Doom dumb dome light!

Yea, there is the work around in getting the light on, but, the fact remains that I did not buy a new car to put up with this. It's not real serious I know, but, Ford has the responsibility to make it work all the time just like all the other cars on the road. Once again, on page 125 of the Owner's Guide it reads that the light is to come on when the door is opened. Period! I'm going to hold them up to that. Apart from that, and not getting 40 MPG, I enjoy the car.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yea, there is the work around in getting the light on, but, the fact remains that I did not buy a new car to put up with this. It's not real serious I know, but, Ford has the responsibility to make it work all the time just like all the other cars on the road. Once again, on page 125 of the Owner's Guide it reads that the light is to come on when the door is opened. Period! I'm going to hold them up to that. Apart from that, and not getting 40 MPG, I enjoy the car.
Okay leadfoot...

I agree- this doom light thing is really annoying. Next time I'm in for service, they are going to get rid of the rattle in my instrument gauge cluster and fix the doom light. There's no rhyme or reason to when it goes on, and when it doesn't.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #26
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Followup. Since I took the car in a couple of days ago my light has been coming on. The mechanic didn't say anything about doing anything to the car. ? They weren't even going to give me a receipt or trouble ticket. Told the service rep I wanted something in writing to take with me. He wrote me up a report. Called Ford customer service. Lady told me the dome lights on new cars arrive at the dealership turned off and have to be turned on during the car prep at the dealership. She is going to call me back in 3 days to check up on the car. I don't have a clear picture of what's going on but if it's fixed, great. Will be checking on it all weekend.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Follow up to follow up

This is getting good. Since I got the car back from the dealer the dome light is working but now the passenger side foot well light doesn't work. I don't know what's going on, but in the end it will be all right. We're testing out the equipment for them. They should pay us.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Dome Light

Here are constants with this problem in my car:
1. Passenger footwell light never comes on.
2. Drivers footwell light always come on.
3. If car is left unlocked, dome lights and drivers footwell light always come on.

Rarely, the dome has come on when the car has been locked after sitting overnight. Perhaps a half dozen times in 6 months.

Has anyone else had these same constants?

Last edited by ronkoe; 05-07-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Here are constants with this problem in my car:
1. Passenger footwell light never comes on.
2. Drivers footwell light always come on.
3. If car is left unlocked, dome lights and drivers footwell light always come on...
Hi ronkoe,

I want to step in here and see how I can help. Send me your information via PM so I can get to work. I'll need your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks,

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
ronkoe
Focus Rookie

Dome light

Thanks Crystal, but I have been in contact with Jean from Ford and I'm taking the car back in for service tomorrow. She says the car needs a reset done and the mechanic knows what to do. So, I hope my next post will be a positive one cause after months of this I've reached the annoyed stage even though this problem is not very serious. Hope for the best.

Bookmarks & Social Networks