2000 Wagon SE will not start, no click, but have power accesories - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 2000 has a extra little alarm electric key under the steering column (I don't know if it was a dealer addon or stock)

If that falls out, it's not going to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
TiIngot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110130
What I Drive: 1996 Corvette LT4 Convertible

FF Reputation: 3 TiIngot Good Standing Member
I don't know what a 2000 is like but on an '08 the starter relay is in a fuse box under the hood. Usually the starter relay is the same size as other relays so, for example, if the horn relay has the same part number you can swap them out to see if the car will start. They just pull out like a fuse.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
Where is the starter relay located?
Passenger compartment fuse panel R17. Check your owner's manual.

Quote:
How often do these go bad?
Rarely.

Quote:
Any way to test one?
Swap with a known good one unless you know how to remove and test one with a 12V power source and multimeter.

Quote:
Looks like the starter is not going to be a fun job, anyone know of a link to a how-to that could speed it up for me?
http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/starter.htm

On any no start situation, the first step is to always checks proper PATS operation. In the center of the dash is a flashing red light (by the hazard switch) on the 2000 model Focus. It should go out once the key is inserted. If it doesn't or flashes rapidly during an attempted start, PATS is either active and is preventing starter engagement or is faulty. You admit to assuming that the key in use is good. Confirm it by observing the "proper" behaviour described above.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
billsnogo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93118
What I Drive: 2000 Wagon SE

FF Reputation: 1 billsnogo Good Standing Member
I have the owners manual, but it does not list any of this. It has numbered fuses, but nothing for the relays.

I tried both keys, when turned the light goes solid for a second, then turns off.

I bought the car back, so now I have more time to play with it. I really like the wagons, just wish I could find a low mile (under 50k) to buy and get rid of my low mile contour.

I guess next is pulling the starter.

thank you all for the help :)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
I'd let someone try to crank it while you tap the starter with a wrench. Always works for me and it lets me know if that's the problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
brykit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114184
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 brykit Good Standing Member
My 2001 Wagon has a similar issue. It has been running great since I bought it in January. I parked it at an airport long term parking lot for 6 weeks and when I returned last weekend it wouldn't start. I thought maybe I needed a jump start but that didn't work so I put in a new battery and it still wouldn't start. Even tried to push start it because it has a manual transmission but still it wouldn't start.
Towed to a Tire Kingdom and the mechanic tried all the above and it wouldn't start. He did a code scan (not sure if there was any codes) and then it started. When I picked it up, I first tried my other key but it would not start with it so I used the key the mechanic used. It started so I headed home believing the problem was solved.
I stopped on the way home and shut the motor off and when I came back five minutes later, once again it would not start. I began putting the key in the ignition and turning it from off to run, taking the key out. putting it back in the other way, turning it from off to run, again and again and suddenly it started.
It ran fine for a few days, even started with the other key, and then today it wouldn't start. Once again I turned the key from off to run, took out the key and put it in the other way, turned it from off to run, again and again and it started.
Before I take it to a dealership I thought I would search for a solution on forums for any one else with same problem and found this thread.
I beleive it has something to do with the PATS system, maybe a connection in the ignition cylinder. Here is a link about the PATS system for a better understanding how it works: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=234975
Maybe you and have the same type of gremlin and we can find out how to get rid of it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #17
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
I've always heard the focus ignition is kinda faulty... could be the problem.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
brykit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114184
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 brykit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Passenger compartment fuse panel R17. Check your owner's manual.

Rarely.

Swap with a known good one unless you know how to remove and test one with a 12V power source and multimeter.

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/starter.htm

On any no start situation, the first step is to always checks proper PATS operation. In the center of the dash is a flashing red light (by the hazard switch) on the 2000 model Focus. It should go out once the key is inserted. If it doesn't or flashes rapidly during an attempted start, PATS is either active and is preventing starter engagement or is faulty. You admit to assuming that the key in use is good. Confirm it by observing the "proper" behaviour described above.
When my 2001 Wagon won't start, the red light by the havard switch would flash every couple of seconds before I put the key in the ignition. When I try to start it it would go out. I thought if there is a problem with the PATS it would show a code by flashing a series of flashes.
At times when it will start it behaves the same. The light flashes before I put the key in and when I go to start it it goes out.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
billsnogo
Focus Rookie

Okay, I finally had time to pull the starter, but decided to try and start the car just to make sure, and guess what???????????????...................... it started! So now I have no idea what the heck happened.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
billsnogo
Focus Rookie

Update: I has been starting just fine, no signs of the problem until today. Same problem, but this time I had my wife try and start it when I had my head under the hood and heard a loud click in the vicinity of the starter. Luckily it was just a little over a mile away from home, so we walked home, got a hammer and a jack.

Jacked the car up, had my wife try and crank the car while I hit the starter with the wood handle of the hammer. Big spark, then it kicked over. Now it is starting just fine again. Looks like either bad connection, or bad starter (guessing bad starter).

Hope this follow up helps someone else with similar problems.

Bookmarks & Social Networks