car sometimes wont start, clutch issue? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Unpopularpizza
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114178
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SE ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Unpopularpizza Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
car sometimes wont start, clutch issue?

I bought this car about a month ago, already out of my warranty, had the guy fix the power steering pump leak and replaced the clutch master cylinder (was leaking fluid onto floor).

i know that they've bled the clutch already to replace the master cylinder, dunno if maybe they did it wrong but for some reason when i get into my car after i haven't driven in a while, like overnight, in the morning the clutch pedal seems spongy, like it wont come all the way back up, I put my foot under it and pulled it up. and after warming up the clutch acted normal (i think). anyway its kind of annoying, and i have to do it every morning. (its always done this especially before replacing the master cylinder).

I'm assuming its related also to the fact that sometimes my car doesn't start right away. it just turns over and over, until i stop and try again. sometimes it starts very slowly(if that makes sense) like i hear it kick and I let go of clutch and key but it takes an extra second to get the RPM's up. (I don't have a tach so i can't really tell where its at when it does that). It's completely random when it does this day/night/morning. so maybe its not related, IDK.

it has 124k miles and its a 2007. any ideas/suggestions would help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The clutch being spongy will have nothing to do with the cars ability to start. When was the last time it had a tuneup? Fuel filter? I'd start with the basics. Is the CEL on?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Unpopularpizza
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114178
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SE ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Unpopularpizza Good Standing Member
no on the CEL, tune up i have no idea. and oil change I'm going to do here tomorrow if I can.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
I know exactly what you mean, I get this problem at almost random sometimes, I think it's the fuel... It seems to be just fine if I turn the ignition on, wait about 10 seconds until I hear the fuel pump kick off, and then start it. I don't know if that will help you any, but I know your symptoms (except the clutch)... I've never really put to much thought into what the problem is...

The reason I say "almost random" is that over the past year I have started to notice a pattern as the problem is only noticeable to me when I park with my cars nose up hill, but not all the time, which makes me suspect fuel draining back into the tank.
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks