2004 Automatic transmission problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
2004Zetec
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114165
What I Drive: 2004 ZX5 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 2004Zetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2004 Automatic transmission problem

Hi, I've researched my issue but can't find too much information.

I was merging onto the freeway when all of a sudden my I heard a banging sound (similar to when people neutral drop there transmissions) the car lost power and was stalling out. I basically coasted until it fully stalled.

I tried to restart the motor and see if I could move it but when I put it in gear it would move a foot or two and stall. All the warning lights where on the dash so the car recognized the problem.

The car was then towed back to my house and I did a visual inspection, transmission oil levels were fine and the oil wasn't burned or low.

What really confuses me is that now the car now moves around the driveway and everything seems normal, all the gears work and no dash lights are on? And this was literally half an hour after being stuck on the freeway.

I'm assuming this is some sort of sensor or faulty solenoid that is the problem? But now that everything "seems" normal will it even show up on a code reader if it's faulty?

I'm going to borrow a friends code reader anyway but before then does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Edit car info

2004 Ford Zetec
ZX5
Automatic transmission
118,xxx KM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
2004Zetec
Focus Rookie

I've done some further reading and from what I can tell it's the transmission solenoid. I just have to find out which one to replace now.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
2004Zetec
Focus Rookie

I'm out of ideas, I tried a short trip to the parts store (roughly a 5 minute drive) because I thought it would be fine if I turned off O/D so it wouldn't go into 4th. Anyway 3/4 of the way there the car shut off while I was moving slowly, about 30KMH, I was able to coast into a parking lot as the car put itself in neutral as soon as it turned off.

I sat in the parking lot for around 15 minutes then fired it up and drove home.

I plugged in the code reader and no codes show up except for EGR and the CAT.

This is driving me crazy. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Hey Taylor, welcome to FF!
If the code reader isn't C.A.N or doesn't view enhanced data, it won't show transmission codes. First, what's the code for the EGR & CAT, as these can be the source of the stalling (?).....we'll see. As for what the transmission is doing....sounds like a range position sensor issue, based on the info provided by you.
" I was able to coast into a parking lot as the car put itself in neutral as soon as it turned off. "
This sensor is the only thing I know that could " possibly " do that when it malfunctions. ( Contour )
I could be wrong, and soon one of the 'guru's' will let us know.....cough, cough..AMC 49, lol.
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Get codes read, maybe someone can pick up a pending one. Depends on what 'stalling' means to you, there is more than one definition. Push down on brakes while still holding throttle down, a form of it. Letting off gas and simply dying another. Or, you have to learn to describe accurately HOW it stalled. Did engine fall freely to die once power let off? Or did engine drag down like with the brakes on, i.e., it was still trying to run but drag was pulling it down. See where I'm going? Your bang could've been a simple backfire if something in fuel system partially died and pressure fell off.

Car 'losing power' usually means engine not trans.........

'would move a foot or two and stall'

Argues more for engine problem than trans solenoid.

All lights on dash come on anytime a car dies, has nothing to do with computer recognizing anything, they did it even before any computer was on cars. It means engine not running in effect.

'I was able to coast into a parking lot as the car put itself in neutral as soon as it turned off.'

Means nothing, it's an ATX, or, no positive link between motor and trans, it's a fluid coupling. I've done exactly the same before with a problem car and a parking space handy at the time. ALL ATX cars will roll like in neutral if not in park. Putting itself into true neutral is pretty much impossible, the stick must move.

Could easily be a fuel problem. Sorry to distort your world there.

If it totally dies and will not start at that point in time then listen closely for fuel pump spin up when key turned to idiot lights on, no 2 second spin up means fuel pump not working. Of course you need to listen for it when running normally to know what you're looking for. Pump can be heard under back seat, a low, quiet whine.

If does it again, row through and try every gear position on the stick. Odd for ALL solenoids to fail, if only one like the norm, you may be able to get one gear but not all, an indicator that points toward solenoid possibly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->