Looking for Dimension on Sunroof Air Deflector Center Tab - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112746
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Mike O Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking for Dimension on Sunroof Air Deflector Center Tab

Can anyone tell me how long the center tab is on the sunroof air deflector?

Mine is broken and I'm going to rebuild it but would like to know how long it should be.

Thanks for any help.

Mike O.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

So I see that 97 people have looked at this thread so far with no replies. Does this mean that everyone is in the same boat as me - center tab broken off their sunroof air deflector?

I have a friend that is going to mill a replacement tab out of aluminum that we can then easily through bolt to the existing deflector. I'm thinking a Cheap fix that would be permanent. I could post info. in BST section if this works out? Looking for input if anyone else has run into this problem.

Moderators - please let me know if I am going against forum rules by discussing this possiblity here.

Mike O.

"Edited" 4/30

Last edited by sailor; 04-30-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: "Feeler" outside BST, Edited.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Speaking for myself, my sunroof doesn't have anything that resembles a "center tab" on the air deflector, but it's not an SVT.

Don't know why that one would be any different, you may have "lost" people with the description - leading to the lack of replies.

As far as selling anything on this site, it belongs in the BST (Buy, Sell Trade) section after you meet the posting requirements for that section. (Time, post count)

I'll try an "edit" to your post so it fits here better.

Luck!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I would expect it to be the same as on other Focus models from this era.

Mine oscillates when the sunroof is open. If I pull it down 1/4" the oscillation stops and this is in alignment with where the tab would normally stop the air deflector. I'm prettsurfer it is a very common problem.

I looked at the foam pad that resides under the position of this tab and can see an indentation of the tab. I measured 5/8" for the indentation and about 9/16" for the extension.

Regarding making a replacement part for sale my source has indicated he has no interest in this so that option is off the table.

Mike O.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Thing is, it sounds Like my '04 is quite a bit different than what you describe.

My style air deflector is one plastic notched deflector mounted on a spring steel arm at each side. No "tab" to restrict how far it pops up at all.

BLEEP - BLEEP - Cancel that, I see what you mean. There IS a small plastic "tab" at the front center of the plastic cross piece. it has a tiny rubber bumper on top to "stop" the upward travel of the deflector, and it touches a foam pad when the thing is retracted. Couldn't see it at all without a CLOSE look at the thing, kinda hidden in operation.

It's about 3/8" square on the part that extends forward, I'll measure closer for you and post that later.

Cheers!

P.S. - black on black didn't help in looking for it, even in direct sunlight!

Last edited by sailor; 04-30-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Add
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Okay, got measurements.

12.5 mm square extension, with a straight upward extension at the front 7.5 mm high.

2.5 mm high rubber bumper in the center.

The "hook" at the end fits behind the lip of the roof, with the bumper touching the lip when it's up.

It's only 2 mm thick just thicker than a "nickel".

If I had to fix a broken one, I'd cut & bend a piece of aluminum to fit. A 90 degree bend at one end to match the original, and a 45 degree (+ or-) to fit at the other so I could drill the cross bar for a nylon bolt to hold it in place.

Tape, shrink tubing, zip tie, glued on piece of rubber, something to insulate the center where it hits the metal roof edge & it should work.

And yeah, I'd try something like that B4 buying a whole new deflector just to fix it.

Glad I finally looked closer, it's something I just didn't see without a VERY close look!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by sailor; 04-30-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sailor,

Thanks for looking. That was just what I was looking for.

I should have mine back together and fitting right in a couple of days.

Mike O.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Glad to help.

laughing at myself that I didn't even know it was there, didn't see it at the first quick look to double check my memory, you got me looking closer into the black hole & I finally saw the silly thing! Should have known something like that was involved from the way it 'feels" when you play with it (doesn't everyone pull it down at least once to see what the booming burble is like without it?)

(Grin)

Bookmarks & Social Networks