Not Sure Where to Start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Not Sure Where to Start

Hey everyone,

I want to start doing some suspension mods, but I'm not sure what to do first. I was thinking adding a rear sway bar since I don't have one, but I don't know which one is best. I would also probably have to upgrade the front sway bar if I put in a good size rear one. I was also thinking about doing some stress bars. I do not want to do coilovers, though. Also, if I were to install some lowering springs, would I have to install new dampers? I'm considering Road Magnet springs because they are kind of local to me and I have heard good things about them, plus their springs come in a ton of colors. I just don't know if springs are the best place to start. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using FF Mobile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
well, you have many options here. the general consensus is that yes, if you lower you should also get new dampers, too. sway bars will greatly increase cornering. lowering will decrease your body roll, and it looks nice (if not too much). strut tower bars are okay, start with the rear though, as the front is basically just looks because of how the strut towers are right next to the firewall. otherwise, there's hundreds of threads out there with people's set-ups, all with reviews of how they feel about em.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Nickgt40
Wheel King, Bow Down

Fan#: 40924
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3, 09 FSWerks SEMA Coupe

FF Reputation: 19 Nickgt40 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Please don't choose suspension components because they come in a color you like.

If you want to lower your car while still retaining drivability I would strongly suggest H&R Sport Springs coupled with some KYB AGX shocks and struts.

You can simply replace your springs out for aftermarket ones but your stock shocks and struts will be at risk of blowing pretty quickly. Keep in mind that you will want to get a full 4 wheel alignment every time you swap your suspension.

A rear sway bar will be a nice addition, but if you don't already have provisions for one it can be a little costly. That money would be much better spent on springs. Stress bars would be the absolute last suspension mods I'd suggest doing. Again, money is much better spent elsewhere.
Hatch Nation #2
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
06zx5guy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110644
What I Drive: 2006 sonic blue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 06zx5guy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you can do the work yourself, you should be able to get a rear subframe with a stock 20mm sway bar fairly cheap. My 06 se didn't have a bar, got the rear subframe with the bar out of a 2010 ses for about a hundred bucks from Lkq. (Pretty sure they are nationwide, not sure how close they would be where you're at) http://www.lkqonline.com/
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There are bolt on kits to add the rear sway bar, but I've seen many who had them welded later because of looseness/squeaking (shouldn't be too expensive, something to plan on though).

Reading up here for a while, to get ideas of the pro's & con's of the various setups would be worth your while. You'll get info. that will help put your catalog reading in perspective.

"SVT" level up-grade for example, does quite a bit for handling & feel while still being near stock level comfortable for a DD (as comfortable as many "stock" setups on other vehicles).

Each level of change in stiffness/lowering brings additional trade-offs, so determining what you want first, then looking at others experiences can lead you to the right combination for YOU.

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks