|Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|04-28-2013, 12:05 AM||#1|
Installed a New Head Unit with the Metra Dash Kit
I'm a lurker on this forum since I try not to 'say something' unless have something to say. Because I kept referring to this forum, Youtube, and other forums before and during the installation, I decided to post the steps I took to get this done so anyone doing this in the future can see what I did to get my new electronic toy installed. So far I love it(three hours later).
Now I am not good with knowing the specific names for car parts and this is my first car radio installation. It was a lot easier than I expected, but that’s probably related to the harness.
Just FYI if you're wondering about the AppRadio, it's awesome with ARliberator and Android since it mirrors your phone on your radio. This means I can do anything on my radio that I can do on my phone. So far I've only played with it and it works really well. Here's a video of someone else's version of it.
I wish I'd taken more pics of the install, but I didn't.
Torx and Phillips Screw Driver
Trim Removal Tools Set
Magnet (to pick up screws when I dropped them)
Old plastic sour cream container to hold screws.
Metra 99-5816 (yes it does leave some space at the top below the air vents)
AppRadio 2(Pioneer SPH-DA100)-double din
PAC RadioPRO4 Radio Replacement Interface RP4-FD11 (for select Ford vehicles)
Parking Brake Override Bypass
40-CR20 CHRY RADIO ANT ADPT CABLE 2002
Android MHL Converter Kit($50, but figured it was worth it)
My car made a crazy amount of sound when I was using the parking brake. It freaked me out a bit, so I’d suggest doing this on a level surface or accepting the sound
Don’t forget to keep screws safe so you don't drop them like i did.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147694- Awesome, but stops after you first unclip the middle dash area.
1. The harness and radio wiring totally matched up, so I wired it together in the house and attached the break bypass and antenna adapter at that stage.
2. Convert metra kit to double din my cutting out the thin plastic going across the dins in the kit. I used a serrated knife. I then used a nail file the file down the excess to make it smooth.
3. Assemble android mhl connector set
4. Put car into L gear and raise the parking break as much as possible
5. Disconnect battery cable
6. (freak out about groaning brakes when I get in the car to disconnect stuff) Start pulling up the middle console (cupholders part) of the car beginning at the part nearest the rear seats. Don’t be afraid to bend it since it’s pretty bendy. It’s not really secured on it any way.
7. There are two recessed screws that I needed the ratchet to remove. It’s the screws right beside the cigarette lighters.
8. Now look up and to the left above the speedometer. There are two more screws that need to be ratcheted off.
9. Start peeling out the airbag panel a little bit. It shouldn’t come off completely since it’s held on, but it can come out a little bit.
10. Remove the air conditioner outs above the radio
11. If you look inside at the area below where you took the air conditioner vents out, there are two screws that you should remove
12. Now you can start pulling out the panel the radio’s hooked up to. Start from the bottom.
13. Unscrew the radio and disconnect everything from the back of it. The antenna cable was REALLY hard to remove, I had to really yank it out.
14. Disconnect the remaining connectors from everything connecting to the panel.
15. Unscrew everything from the center dash panel
16. Start pushing everything out of the panel(air con controls, etc)
17. Take the old panel piece out of the card
18. Clip these controls into the new Metra dash kit.
19. Run GPS and Bluetooth from wherever you think best. My gps in on my front dash and the Bluetooth is above the rearview mirror. I ran the cables through the headliner and down the A-pillar. Unfortunately, I may have broken a clip in the A-pillar since the top doesn’t sit flush enough. I ran the cable back and over the steering wheel and through the small hole on the lower right side of it.
20. Run Mhl stuff wherever you want to connect your phone. I went for the drivers side legroom.
21. Connect mhl hdmi connector to radio
22. Connect connectors to accessories attached to the dash kit(ex: air con controls) and screw them back in
23. Reattach battery cables to test radio. Don’t forget to test everything.
24. Use plastic sides (black in the kit) to attach to the metra kit. I pushed it in to attach it.
25. Connect Bluetooth and GPS attachments to radio
26. Connect the rest of the connectors from the harness to the radio
27. Push the radio through the double din area in the kit
28. Secure the radio with screws from the radio kit which go through the black sides from the metra kit. Also clip the recktangle peice from the kit that goes through the front of the dash it. The thicker side should be on bottom.
29. Attach clips to metra kit(really annoying and hard and I installed them backward since the instruction image is really hard to understand. I only knew it was wrong since it didn’t really attach.
30. Push radio/metra kit back into the dash aligning the clips to the holes in the dash to it should clip right in.
31. Push air back trim piece on right side back down.
32. Ratchet screws in the dash above the steering wheel back in
33. Push air conditioner vents back in
34. Ratchet screws under metra kit back in.
35. Reattach middle console area back. It took a lot of bending to get this right, grrrr.
36. Freak out since have no idea how to fix the A pillar trim which sticks out a bit.
Radio Specific Info:
Getting the radio to work right took some patience. I tried to rush it and it didn’t work
37. Install Appradio app
38. Setup appradio to wrok with the app
39. Download ArLiberator
40. Start ARliberator and connect to radio
41. Tap on the android icon
42. wait unti your phone says server on. Otherwise I find it doesn’t let me use the radio to control my phone.
43. Wait for ARliberator to connect and bring up the calibration dots
44. Now it works. I kept trying to use it before the server was on and it didn’t work.
|Bookmarks & Social Networks|