My Ford Touch Thread - Page 308 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #3071
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
- doesn't remember what it was playing when you left it when get back in it (input, station, playlist, etc.) -- this one really makes me nuts...

TSB 12-10-15 may address this issue.
I had the car in to the dealer shortly after this one was posted here. I asked about the problem and mentioned the TSB. They said "oh no, yours is all up to date".

I bet they get really tired of hearing MFT complaints they have ZERO way to solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #3072
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
I thought that was an option you can shut off - I forget what it is called now, "confirm selection" or something like that.
There is and I do keep it set to "Off" and keep voice commands on advanced. It doesn't make a difference when the system doesn't know what to choose though. It will still ask and give a list. Sometimes I get a list of different song titles and I can see how they sound similar so I have no problem with that but it is these lists that are all the same song title and the last three are followed by three artist names that are artists that don't even have a song by that name that drive me nuts (with the first choice not followed by an artist name). Completely unnecessary distraction.

For laughs sometimes I choose line 2, 3, or 4. Then I get "Unable to locate song <title> by artist <artist name>". Really? No kidding! Because it doesn't exist. Why are you showing it to me as an option?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3073
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoyloco View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles copernicium. I remember you were always one of those that kept an open mind and good attitude towards those that were having problems with their focus despite yours which worked perfectly at that time.

Guess the gremlins caught up with you as well ;(.
In that 3.0.2 completely destroyed my system from a voice command perspective (as well as caused me a lot of time in a loaner as the poor dealership did everything they could to no avail) 3.5.1 is still better as it is usable now as opposed to the 9 months of unusable I drove around with. These are just annoyances with the ability to work around (except for the "random reindexing" one, that can be a major distraction).

Still won't ever get over the feature removal thing though. Feel like the victim of false advertising on that. Nothing Ford could ever say will justify that behavior to me personally.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #3074
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
In that 3.0.2 completely destroyed my system from a voice command perspective (as well as caused me a lot of time in a loaner as the poor dealership did everything they could to no avail) 3.5.1 is still better as it is usable now as opposed to the 9 months of unusable I drove around with. These are just annoyances with the ability to work around (except for the "random reindexing" one, that can be a major distraction).

Still won't ever get over the feature removal thing though. Feel like the victim of false advertising on that. Nothing Ford could ever say will justify that behavior to me personally.
Atleast it sound like you had a dealership willing to try and fix things for you.

I gave up after they tried to fix the remote lock not working (TSB). They took an entire week to fix it, put me in a free courtesy rental (Chevy vehicle none the less which ran beautifully - the irony). Then like 2 weeks later the problems returned. And 2 weeks from that a collections notice appeared for that rental.

To add on top of that, the back vents started to deteriorate and I asked them to fix that. The dealership supposedly had to take pictures and approve it for warranty service, even though there was a TSB. I called twice, never to hear back from them.

Long story short, I asked my wife to take the car in to get it fixed and she said just get a new car. So I said "OK" ;).
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #3075
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Atleast it sound like you had a dealership willing to try and fix things for you.

I gave up after they tried to fix the remote lock not working (TSB). They took an entire week to fix it, put me in a free courtesy rental (Chevy vehicle none the less which ran beautifully - the irony). Then like 2 weeks later the problems returned. And 2 weeks from that a collections notice appeared for that rental.

To add on top of that, the back vents started to deteriorate and I asked them to fix that. The dealership supposedly had to take pictures and approve it for warranty service, even though there was a TSB. I called twice, never to hear back from them.

Long story short, I asked my wife to take the car in to get it fixed and she said just get a new car. So I said "OK" ;).
How you liking the Dart?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #3076
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
The features get removed because the MFT system is ridiculously under powered from a memory and processing power point of view. My Pandigital Super Nova Android tablet has a faster processor and more memory than the MFT system, and it only costs me $90. That's what Ford gets for going to the lowest contract bidder to build their state of the art infotainment system for them, which BTW that relationship went South when Ford started getting complaints from their customers about the poor quality. Had Ford just put some thought into what requirements, processor and memory, that a system would need to do ALL the things they and their customers wanted it to do they would have been money ahead and kept their customers happy at the same time. They should have really scrutinized the specs their contractors supplied them with in their bids instead of just looking at the monetary bottom line. Like the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for". Hopefully lesson learned for Ford.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #3077
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah, dealership was terrific. They went, in my eyes, above and beyond. Not faulting them in the least. I actually brought it in for an oil change and to have them throw my summers on and just brought up the 3.0.2 MFT issues while I was there. It was a Sat afternoon and neither of their main sync/MFT guys were working but said they would throw me a loaner if I wanted to leave it so they could look at it Monday. I said OK. They tried a reinstall Monday afternoon and it didn't help so they called me and said they wanted to try again Tuesday if I didn't mind. I said OK. Tuesday's attempt didn't help either so they said they wanted to replace the APIM but they were on backorder and I could come get the car and they would let me know when it came in.

Called a few days later and said the APIM would be in the next day if I wanted to drop it off that night and get another loaner. I did. They called the next day and said Ford sent the wrong part (some other module, not the APIM) so they were having Ford overnight another. The next one showed up and it was defective so they had to have another sent (and they were on backorder again, hmmm, must have been replacing them for a lot of people). Essentially I was in a loaner for almost two weeks total and the APIM replacement didn't help.

When I went in to get my car they were really apologetic about the problems with MFT (even though it had nothing to do with them) and the service manager said "I don't believe in adding insult to injury so the oil change and tire swap are on us" which was cool because again, these other issues had nothing to do with them personally. Didn't have to do that but just good and classy customer service.

In all honesty though, almost two weeks in a loaner really made me appreciate the other, non-MFT things I like about my car. The handling and simple little things like intelligent access. So many times I walked up to the loaner and just grabbed the door handle and realized "Oh crap, I actually have to fish the key fob out to unlock this and use the key to start it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsimms63 View Post
The features get removed because the MFT system is ridiculously under powered from a memory and processing power point of view. My Pandigital Super Nova Android tablet has a faster processor and more memory than the MFT system, and it only costs me $90. That's what Ford gets for going to the lowest contract bidder to build their state of the art infotainment system for them, which BTW that relationship went South when Ford started getting complaints from their customers about the poor quality. Had Ford just put some thought into what requirements, processor and memory, that a system would need to do ALL the things they and their customers wanted it to do they would have been money ahead and kept their customers happy at the same time. They should have really scrutinized the specs their contractors supplied them with in their bids instead of just looking at the monetary bottom line. Like the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for". Hopefully lesson learned for Ford.
Totally agree. A lot of us on here that got our cars with 2.11 or previous are pretty familiar with the whole Bsquare-Microsoft history/lineage through the versions. Still, what they did to customers is wrong on many levels. Advertise and sell something and then subtract from that after collecting the cash. Either fix it while keeping the feature-set or offer a partial refund because it is nowhere close to what they sold us.

Every time you call them with the "Why can't I do this anymore?" question the stock answer is "Some features were removed to improve overall system stability." Tired of hearing it along with the other favorite "Changes were made based on customer feedback". Quite frankly the latter is such utter BS. No one was calling and saying "Please get rid of the ability to program the star favorites" or "Please remove the ability to select from different home screen options".

Having been through three version cycles so far I have seen nothing but the removal of features though no (or maybe minimal) improvement in stability. To me this minimal, if any, stability improvement is certainly not enough to justify the loss-of-really-cool-features expense.

Each version swaps an old bug-set for a new bug-set. When they put out the list of enhancements/changes with 3.5.1 one of the things mentioned was the new simplified voice command scheme. No longer had to say "Play song <title>" or "Play album <title>", you could just say "Play <title>". First thing that crossed my mind was "What if I have an album of a certain title and that album happens to have a song of that same title as well?" so obviously it was the first thing I tried. Quickly discovered the system says "Please choose" and then shows nothing on the screen or doesn't offer and spoken list of choices, you just sit through an awkward silence until you finally get the sync-lady to give the "impatient" tone and say "I have found a song and album of that title. Which would you like?".

I'd like to hope that this eventuality did cross the mind of someone on the IVT team but who knows? Wonder if it was a case of "didn't cross our minds", "crossed our minds but we didn't test it", or "crossed our minds and we tested it and it was buggy but we threw the update out there anyway just to get this out".

There does seem to be a bunch of "let's just get it out and let the customers find the bugs" going on here or as I like to think of it the "Ready-Fire-Aim" approach.

Oddly enough I received an email from Ford yesterday asking me to take a survey. So far the only communications I have received have been post-service and relate to the dealership service experience, nothing about the actual car itself. Anyone else get that one? If so, what it is about?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #3078
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsimms63 View Post
How you liking the Dart?
Absolutely loving it so far. 1.1k miles and not a single issue. I keep expecting something to happen after my experience with the focus.

The car is a little heavy doesn't have the pickup the focus had though I knew this going in. In fact I don't mind it because at least it is consistent and I know how the car will drive. With the focus I never knew what I was going to get when I pressed the paddle.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3079
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
A question about working with MFT (3.5.1) via the voice commands:

How do I change to different screens without actually performing an action? For example, if I'm staring at any particular screen, I can say "navigation map" and it will act as if I pressed the upper-right corner of the screen and switch to the nav map screen.

How do I do that for the "entertainment", "climate" or "phone" screens? (I know I can just press the respective corner of the screen, but I'm trying to learn how to use this with just voice commands.)

Thanks
Gary
Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #3080
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Speaking of things MFT does that make me crazy: get in wife's FoFo, start it up, put seat belt on, drive away. One block later, it's disconnected from wife's phone (back at home). Does it try to see if it can connect to my phone? Nope, that'd be too hard.

I understand connecting to the default phone when the car is in the driveway. I don't understand not trying to connect to anything else until the next time the car is turned off and turned back on. This is another thing that worked better in both the 8 year older Acura and three year older BMW no name audio systems. Who would have thought the 2012 top-of-the-line state-of-the-art MFT Powered by Microsoft Sync would have been so lame as to not do this correctly?

Bookmarks & Social Networks