MFT 3.5.1 and bluetooth messaging question - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MFT 3.5.1 and bluetooth messaging question

(If I'm posting this in the wrong place, please pardon me. Hopefully, a kind moderator will move it to the proper location.)

I recently (2 days ago) purchased a '13 focus Titanium with the nav package. The car is nice, but "my ford touch" is a bit buggy. Rather than complaining about the bugs, I'm hoping to at least find a way to work around one of them:

My phone (galaxy note II) works the MFT bluetooth pretty well. Phone calls work, SYNC works, I haven't tried to stream audio yet, and I get new SMS message notifications on screen and MFT will read them if and only if I use the MFT touch screen interface to access the messages. Actually, if I'm parked, I can even reply to messages using the touch screen.

However, even though I can use the MFT touch screen to read and reply to SMS messages, I can't use the voice command thing to do any of that. When I try to, my car tells me (with an audible voice) that my phone doesn't support messaging. (Obviously, it does - as I can access everything just fine with the MFT touch screen.)

Okay, so there's a bug.

What I'd like to know is what android-based phone DOES work with MFT 3.5.1 and verbal commands for accessing SMS messages. I've read that Samsung Galaxy S III users have the same issue as the Note II. Is there any android phone that works properly? If so, can you please tell me the model and firmware version of the phone? (on your phone: settings->about->build number)

If I get this information, I might be able to make some modifications to spoof the voice portion of MFT into thinking I have one of those other phones in order to get full support. (Based on the fact that the touchscreen works fine, I suspect the voice portion is reading the phone model/firmware string and claiming a lack of support from that instead of actually testing functionality.)

Thank you
Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Moved to Car Audio, Sync, My Ford Touch and electronics

Fwiw, I don't honestly know what Android phones do work, but I thought there was a list on the Ford website. My Infuse doesn't seem to have the capabilities yours has, but I'm technologically illiterate too...so there's that. Hopefully someone else in here can answer your question better.

Welcome to FF

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
(If I'm posting this in the wrong place, please pardon me. Hopefully, a kind moderator will move it to the proper location.)

I recently (2 days ago) purchased a '13 focus Titanium with the nav package. The car is nice, but "my ford touch" is a bit buggy. Rather than complaining about the bugs, I'm hoping to at least find a way to work around one of them:

My phone (galaxy note II) works the MFT bluetooth pretty well. Phone calls work, SYNC works, I haven't tried to stream audio yet, and I get new SMS message notifications on screen and MFT will read them if and only if I use the MFT touch screen interface to access the messages. Actually, if I'm parked, I can even reply to messages using the touch screen.

However, even though I can use the MFT touch screen to read and reply to SMS messages, I can't use the voice command thing to do any of that. When I try to, my car tells me (with an audible voice) that my phone doesn't support messaging. (Obviously, it does - as I can access everything just fine with the MFT touch screen.)

Okay, so there's a bug.

What I'd like to know is what android-based phone DOES work with MFT 3.5.1 and verbal commands for accessing SMS messages. I've read that Samsung Galaxy S III users have the same issue as the Note II. Is there any android phone that works properly? If so, can you please tell me the model and firmware version of the phone? (on your phone: settings->about->build number)

If I get this information, I might be able to make some modifications to spoof the voice portion of MFT into thinking I have one of those other phones in order to get full support. (Based on the fact that the touchscreen works fine, I suspect the voice portion is reading the phone model/firmware string and claiming a lack of support from that instead of actually testing functionality.)

Thank you
Gary
I have the note 2 as well.

It will read the messages if you say "Listen to message 1" or 2 or whatever.

I cannot use voice commands to reply or initiate a new text.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
It will read the messages if you say "Listen to message 1...

I cannot use voice commands to reply or initiate a new text.
You're correct. It does respond to "listen to message #", but if you just say "messages", it claims a lack of support.

That's just sloppy development.

Can anyone say just "messages" with an android phone (and have it do something other than claim no support?) Supposedly, the following spoken commands should work work: "messages", "reply to message", and "forward message"

If it works, which phone and firmware?

Thanks
Gary
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
It did work with my note 2 before 3.5.1

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Fuzzygreen
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112148
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Fuzzygreen Good Standing Member
i have an LG optimus G, and when i receive a text message, the screen pops up and I have to press the listen button for it to read out loud.

can't it be set to read it automatically? it find it distracting and completely pointless if i have to lean over, stare at the screen and press listen. under settings, i already have it set to Text-to-Speech but it doesn't seem to work. i thought the point of it was to help you keep an eye on the road??

Bookmarks & Social Networks