Augh! Help with amp & speaker install please... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112784
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black C-Max

FF Reputation: 1 HotPotato Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
Factory systems tend to over EQ the midbass. You need to make cuts in the midbass levels through the Bit-10.

Tuning takes time.
Yep. The midbass cuts I made were (IIRC) -3 db to 125 Hz, -6db to 160 Hz (the biggest offender), -6db to 200 Hz, and -3db to 250 Hz. BIG improvement but still a bit lifeless, although +3db at 4k restored a little detail (these are good speakers, so they're clear rather than harsh there), as did setting the front crossovers for more tweeter presence.

This is just tuning the fronts as a pair. Have not tried tuning them individually, nor have I touched the back yet. Also I could probably double-check the shop's work re de-EQ and levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

I should add: am using JL Audio's audio tools iPhone app; it has a pretty neat RTA!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to travel to a shop that has a BitTune and have them BitTune it? It's $300+. Seemed like it made a big diff on the Soundmanca web video, but then they sell the service...

I thought the BitTen would sum the signals, de-EQ them full-range, and split them up again, but that doesn't appear to be so.
If the factory already dialed in time alignment and speaker levels, and the installer set amp levels, then it seems like BitTune would mainly just EQ it...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Jeffrosilver07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104592
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 3 Jeffrosilver07 Good Standing Member
Personally if I were you I would take it to another shop just to make sure it was installed correctly before spending the money on getting it tuned with the Audison piece. What might be a good idea is let the shop that is going to tune your processor look over the system first. If they are authorized to tune the Audison piece then they have to have the knowledge to make sure your system is right.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Did you get my PM and did it help?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
Did you get my PM and did it help?
Yes, thank you! Great forum here, you guys are the best.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
ArcticGabe
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86046
What I Drive: 2013 SE Hatch MTX

FF Reputation: 1 ArcticGabe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPotato View Post
Yes, thank you! Great forum here, you guys are the best.
Does that mean you got it fixed? If so, can you share details?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticGabe View Post
Does that mean you got it fixed? If so, can you share details?
No, not fixed. He sent me a link to a video showing the Soundmanca guys using a Bit Tune, which helped me understand how it works.

Because it's $300 to have it done, I'm thinking carefully whether I want to add a sub first (if I did it now and later added a sub, the process would have to be repeated).

The trick with the C-max is that active noise cancellation and subs often don't get along...but I'm wondering if maybe something like a Focal powered underseat sub might be JUST enough to plump up the low end without antagonizing the noise cancellation. Another dude on the C-max forum just got a Sound Ordnance underseat sub, so I'm kinda waiting to see how it works for him...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
mister_eff
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110362
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mister_eff Good Standing Member
I'm in the super slow process of replacing speakers, adding sound deadening, blah blah. But I'm using the Alpine PXA-H800 and hooking it up to Hertz speakers (165 XL, I'm hoping to eventually go an active crossover, but I don't know if/when I'll be able to figure out how to get wires into the doors without too much trouble). I have access to shmancy, calibrated 1/3 octave band sound level meters. If you haven't decided on spending another $300, I do plan on reporting back the 1/3 OB levels to get a flat EQ (which you can then adjust to your taste). Obviously with different speakers, things won't be exactly the same, but iono, it might be helpful. The only catch is I don't know when I'll get to it. I hope do that part this weekend, but I might get delayed.

The other thing I've noticed is that on my stock system (2012 SEL), I swear that streaming through bluetooth from my phone sounds better than plugging my ipod into the auxiliary. Maybe whatever random processing happens in the bluetooth stream accidentally cancels out the stock head unit/speaker deficiencies.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
HotPotato
Focus Rookie

Dude, that would be awesome. Thank you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks