MyFord Touch - Frustrating Perspective - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
Is this where in vehicle technology is headed? Instead of manufactures designing better systems, they would integrate your advanced cell phone and use its features through the car. People would have to buy certain phones that are integrated with certain cars. If that's the case, I hope they still implement larger touch screens that emulate the phone so that you don't need to squint to see. I wouldn't mind buying a certain phone if I knew it had 100% integration with my car.
I really hope this is where things are headed. Most smart phones already have everything one needs for navigation, entertainment, and making phone calls. All the vehicle needs to provide is a way to amplify sound, display the data, and control the phone; and ideally it would work with multiple makes and models not just a select few like MirrorLink.

Access to car statistics can be done with a bluetooth ODB2 dongle. It's pretty cool seeing the Torque App running on the MFT display.

I built such a solution and am able to use the MFT display for my phone. All I need now is a Lockpick to keep the screen on while the car is in motion and it's all set. Navigation and traffic reporting courtesy of Google Maps for free.

Unfortunately I have a remodel project going on at home and the taxman wasn't nice to me this year so a Lockpick isn't in the budget yet. I should be able to pick one up this Summer and then I'll post up a YouTube video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Access to car statistics can be done with a bluetooth ODB2 dongle. It's pretty cool seeing the Torque App running on the MFT display.

I built such a solution and am able to use the MFT display for my phone. All I need now is a Lockpick to keep the screen on while the car is in motion and it's all set. Navigation and traffic reporting courtesy of Google Maps for free.

Unfortunately I have a remodel project going on at home and the taxman wasn't nice to me this year so a Lockpick isn't in the budget yet. I should be able to pick one up this Summer and then I'll post up a YouTube video.
Very cool indeed! I would be interested in seeing a video of that.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Do a search for Mirrorlink for Android. Some aftermarket head units already have this.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Do a search for Mirrorlink for Android. Some aftermarket head units already have this.
I prefer an open solution that I can modify to meet my needs. Why spend $600-$1000 for a new Mirrorlink compatible phone and head unit?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I prefer an open solution that I can modify to meet my needs. Why spend $600-$1000 for a new Mirrorlink compatible phone and head unit?
My post wasnt directed at you, so I cannot answer that. Rather I was showing the direction this technology is already headed in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
That's interesting, as I've read a few articles that praised CUE as a much better system than MFT. The whole topic is subjective but I think certain systems are more intuitive. Can you give some examples of how MFT is better than CUE?
I don't like the CUEs soft touch control panel, it's just as laggy as MFT. Same with the touch screen. I just didnt have a great experience with CUE, but then again I worked in service for a dealer and my opinion might be a bit biased since I saw a lot of defective CUE units come through. GM is notoriously bad about radios and radio systems failing in the past 10 years though. Also, I left the dealer 5 months ago, they may have fixed the issues I saw with CUE since then.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 44 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
My post wasnt directed at you, so I cannot answer that. Rather I was showing the direction this technology is already headed in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Gotcha.

The reviews I've read so far suggest that MirrorLink isn't doing so well because of a lack of device support and poor implementation. I am a big fan of the concept though and think it can succeed if it's done right.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I don't like the CUEs soft touch control panel, it's just as laggy as MFT. Same with the touch screen. I just didnt have a great experience with CUE, but then again I worked in service for a dealer and my opinion might be a bit biased since I saw a lot of defective CUE units come through. GM is notoriously bad about radios and radio systems failing in the past 10 years though. Also, I left the dealer 5 months ago, they may have fixed the issues I saw with CUE since then.
That's interesting. All I knew is their screen is capacitive, made of glass and has swipe and pinch features like a smartphone, which would make it seem like it's better than MFT.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Quote:
Is this where in vehicle technology is headed? Instead of manufactures designing better systems, they would integrate your advanced cell phone and use its features through the car. People would have to buy certain phones that are integrated with certain cars. If that's the case, I hope they still implement larger touch screens that emulate the phone so that you don't need to squint to see. I wouldn't mind buying a certain phone if I knew it had 100% integration with my car.
I actually like this concept and I believe there is a company designing a system...
Think about it technology changes so fast, typical upgrade cycle of phones is now less than 2 years. If you had tech in a car, which most people will tend to own for more than 2 years their system is already outdated.

By putting a replaceable component, car owners who car about these features can keep the latest and greatest... The hardest challenge will be establishing some kind of standard so it can work across multiple generation of phones.

Bookmarks & Social Networks