Recent tire rotation - significant wear on inner rear wheel - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

Points 2,131, Level 27
Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27 Points: 2,131, Level: 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down Recent tire rotation - significant wear on inner rear wheel

Last week I took my Focus to a local Sears Auto center to have the tires rotated. The tech put the car on the lift and eventually called me back to where he was working. He showed me the rear wheels are cambered in a bit from factory and significantly wearing the inner bar/tread of the rear wheels.

The tires haven't been rotated properly from the previous owner, so I was half-expecting wear more than normal.

However, the tech told me it would be better to leave them as-is, instead of rotating. I asked if the alignment could be changed in the rear to fix this issue going forward and he said Ford cheaped out and the rear can't be aligned - only the front.

Is this true? Is this a known flaw of the MK1? ('03 ZTS Sedan) or can it be remedied by 3,000 mile tire rotations?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Ethie1990
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113894
What I Drive: 2007 silver st

FF Reputation: 1 Ethie1990 Good Standing Member
i have never heard of that in my life. Granted in young but i have never heard of a suspension that cant be tailored with. if i were you i would take it to a another shop because sears are a**holes and they dont know things. But who knows i could be wrong about this???
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

Points 10,054, Level 67
Points: 10,054, Level: 67 Points: 10,054, Level: 67 Points: 10,054, Level: 67
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
the way the rear suspension is designed the only way to adjust it is to get eccentric bolts installed or spend big money on aftermarket adjustable camber and toe arms. eccentric or "camber bolts" are about $25, full camber-adjustable arms are about $100, and toe arms I think are available from Massive Speed Systems, but I don't know price off-hand on those.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,607, Level 58
Points: 7,607, Level: 58 Points: 7,607, Level: 58 Points: 7,607, Level: 58
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtinfocus View Post
the way the rear suspension is designed the only way to adjust it is to get eccentric bolts installed or spend big money on aftermarket adjustable camber and toe arms. eccentric or "camber bolts" are about $25, full camber-adjustable arms are about $100, and toe arms I think are available from Massive Speed Systems, but I don't know price off-hand on those.
Here are the options for rear camber arms(with links:)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...33&postcount=2
Massive's have the most most range and can be adjusted while still on the car, also the most expensive. The other choices all seem pretty similar in form and function. Although, the camber bolts should be enough to adjust the rear at stock height (they are at least cheap enough to try first.) Here a couple how-to's: bolts only and bolts and arm install

Massive toe arms are $160, there are also generic ones on ebay that look similiar in design, cost less if you dont mind the risks of buying on ebay parts
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,959, Level 71
Points: 11,959, Level: 71 Points: 11,959, Level: 71 Points: 11,959, Level: 71
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Rear of these CAN be aligned for toe-in with factory adjustability built in, the camber can't be without aftermarket adjustment bolts.

Excessive toe-in has been found to be the main issue with rear tire wear that you describe. The original factory range for this allows for more toe-in than is desirable (changed for later models) so it needs to be set for minimal toe-in.

The biggest problem in doing this is frozen adjusters (rusted in the bushings) and you may end up needing new rear lower arms & bolts to get the adjustability needed. Not terribly tragic, as the bushings that are likely worn by now can only be replaced in this manner to stay with the stock rubber bushes, and the new arms aren't horribly expensive.

I'm going to move this to the "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension area for you to get more responses.

You can look at the "stickies" over there at the top of the page for some additional info. and specs. for alignment.

Luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGuy View Post
However, the tech told me it would be better to leave them as-is, instead of rotating.
that's good advice if a suspension part is causing excessive tire wear. In your case, rotating the tires would simply destroy four tires instead of two.

Quote:
Is this a known flaw of the MK1? ('03 ZTS Sedan)
yes. Abnormal rear tire wear is a common topic on this forum.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,179, Level 72
Points: 12,179, Level: 72 Points: 12,179, Level: 72 Points: 12,179, Level: 72
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Positive toe is a major tire wearer then camber. Take a yard stick & hold it up to a rear wheel & that'd give you an idea, what your toe is. I'd check the alignment= front & rear. If they know what they're going, They'll drive the car on the rack & look under neath & chech the tire inflation, then setup the heads on the car, then set the rear toe 1st & then the front toe. I like to setup foci w/ o toe in the front & 0.10 per side max. Make sure the sw is straight.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,131, Level 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Rear of these CAN be aligned for toe-in with factory adjustability built in, the camber can't be without aftermarket adjustment bolts.

Excessive toe-in has been found to be the main issue with rear tire wear that you describe. The original factory range for this allows for more toe-in than is desirable (changed for later models) so it needs to be set for minimal toe-in.

The biggest problem in doing this is frozen adjusters (rusted in the bushings) and you may end up needing new rear lower arms & bolts to get the adjustability needed. Not terribly tragic, as the bushings that are likely worn by now can only be replaced in this manner to stay with the stock rubber bushes, and the new arms aren't horribly expensive.

I'm going to move this to the "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension area for you to get more responses.

You can look at the "stickies" over there at the top of the page for some additional info. and specs. for alignment.

Luck!
I still cannot find where these adjusters are located in the rear. Can you (or someone) kindly take a pic and post it in the thread? Then I should be able to try adjusting (it's already out so no harm done, right) and see if they are completely rusted or if they will rotate!

Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
if you scroll down to the 2nd post on this thread, there is a rear-end pic

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99331

see the black crossmember bisecting the pic? Those two shiny bolts attach the LCA's to it, and double as the toe adjusters. On your '03, they will not be shiny! The smart money is on them being corroded and seized.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,131, Level 27
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Can I shoot these rear toe adjusting bolts with PB blaster/penetrating oil for a few weeks to loosen them up for a tech to try and do an alignment? If so, the penetrating oil won't affect driving use of the car, will it?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.