2000 ZX3 -- My Performance Q&A Thread - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
iminhell
C2H5OH
 
iminhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Fan#: 36222
Location: Darwin, MN
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Posts: 10,230
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
http://books.google.com/books?id=TU9...page&q&f=false

Take the book with a grain of salt. But @ $20, it can save you money.

All the fancy ignition stuff, isn't needed.
Most of the fancy intake tubes, not needed.
Cheap exhaust, just avoid it.


The major gains will be from a good header and exhaust combo. Stock SVT header is a good choice. The ebay knockoffs work, but with your 8-10 year range you'll go through 3 of them; so plan ahead.
Far as what exhaust kit to go with, that's purely personal preference. Just hop on youtube and listen for what you like. The tone of most all of them is similar as well as any gains ... which are compounded as you make more power.

The best gains from a single part will be cams. It's the one part many hesitate to install but those who have wonder why it took them so long to do so.

Other than going deeper, you won't find a whole lot of power to be had.
A good tune will be needed though.

Quality parts will fair much better than cheap ones. Plan accordingly.
iminhell is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
darossi3
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83732
Location: Daytona Area, FL
What I Drive: 2003, Blue, ZX3

Posts: 78
FF Reputation: 1 darossi3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
http://books.google.com/books?id=TU9...page&q&f=false

Take the book with a grain of salt. But @ $20, it can save you money.

All the fancy ignition stuff, isn't needed.
Most of the fancy intake tubes, not needed.
Cheap exhaust, just avoid it.


The major gains will be from a good header and exhaust combo. Stock SVT header is a good choice. The ebay knockoffs work, but with your 8-10 year range you'll go through 3 of them; so plan ahead.
Far as what exhaust kit to go with, that's purely personal preference. Just hop on youtube and listen for what you like. The tone of most all of them is similar as well as any gains ... which are compounded as you make more power.

The best gains from a single part will be cams. It's the one part many hesitate to install but those who have wonder why it took them so long to do so.

Other than going deeper, you won't find a whole lot of power to be had.
A good tune will be needed though.

Quality parts will fair much better than cheap ones. Plan accordingly.
Which cams are best? What if i plan on going FI in the future but would rather build up the heart a bit first... i read certain ones dont clear?
darossi3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
MrBrent
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
MrBrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113333
Location: Gainesboro, TN
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Zetec DOHC

Posts: 37
FF Reputation: 1 MrBrent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is where my mechanical idiocy is going to show...

What is a cam, what does it do and how much can I expect to pay for one? If someone could provide a link, I'd be grateful!
MrBrent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #14
redSVT_03
Focus Addict
 
redSVT_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78206
Location: Elyria, OH
What I Drive: 2003 red SVTF

Posts: 1,353
FF Reputation: 4 redSVT_03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrent View Post
This is where my mechanical idiocy is going to show...

What is a cam, what does it do and how much can I expect to pay for one? If someone could provide a link, I'd be grateful!
a cam is what turns to open and close your valves located on the top of your engine below the valve cover and on top of the head lol. assuming you have a dohc zetec motor, you have two cams one for intake valves and the other for exhaust valves.

check this video out of how a dohc engine works its very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQPh2OdBGgI
__________________
Smoke tires not drugs
redSVT_03 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #15
redSVT_03
Focus Addict
 
redSVT_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78206
Location: Elyria, OH
What I Drive: 2003 red SVTF

Posts: 1,353
FF Reputation: 4 redSVT_03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
at 55 seconds is when they put the cams along with cam gears in
__________________
Smoke tires not drugs
redSVT_03 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
MrBrent
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
MrBrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113333
Location: Gainesboro, TN
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Zetec DOHC

Posts: 37
FF Reputation: 1 MrBrent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redSVT_03 View Post
a cam is what turns to open and close your valves located on the top of your engine below the valve cover and on top of the head lol. assuming you have a dohc zetec motor, you have two cams one for intake valves and the other for exhaust valves.

check this video out of how a dohc engine works its very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQPh2OdBGgI
I do indeed have a DOHC Zetec. Can someone provide an eBay (or other website) link to the cam(s) that I need?
MrBrent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
thenorm
Focus Fanatic
 
thenorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Fan#: 14947
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Posts: 1,909
FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i hope alot of the link herin are still good.

but i suggest reading through here. it might answer alot of the questions you have.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174742
__________________
May 2014 ROTM
for auto-x: '04 Liquid Grey ZX3
for street: '02 Infrared SVT
thenorm is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #18
MrBrent
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
MrBrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113333
Location: Gainesboro, TN
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Zetec DOHC

Posts: 37
FF Reputation: 1 MrBrent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Will an instrument cluster from an automatic Focus work exactly as it should on the 5-speed?
MrBrent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
CotyM
Focus Addict
 
CotyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85558
Location: woodsfield, OH
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

Posts: 748
FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep, but if your putting an auto tach on a manual make sure it has a tach... some autos do not have tachs... Also make sure to transfer your milage from one to another... because the cluster is what stores your miles...
__________________
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
CotyM is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
MrBrent
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
MrBrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113333
Location: Gainesboro, TN
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Zetec DOHC

Posts: 37
FF Reputation: 1 MrBrent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CotyM View Post
Yep, but if your putting an auto tach on a manual make sure it has a tach... some autos do not have tachs... Also make sure to transfer your milage from one to another... because the cluster is what stores your miles...
It definitely has the tach -- is there a guide somewhere that shows me how to transfer the mileage over from one cluster to the next?
MrBrent is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.