Brake Upgrade Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
darossi3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83732
What I Drive: 2003, Blue, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 darossi3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake Upgrade Question

Hey guys i was roaming the local junk yard when i came across some truely huge (compared to my oem size) front Brakes on a 2nd gen focus...

Will these still fit on my 03 ZX3(with 17's of course) or do i need extra parts for a conversion?

Looked like they would bolt right up no fuss, but i want to be sure before i go pull them... Fronts only Rears were drums unfortunately...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Your brakes are 10'' & the '05+ cars are equipped w/ 10.9'' brakes. To bolt those on you'll need the '05 only spindles= the '05+ brake calipers require the ears on the spindle to be spaced apart for the bigger caliper. In '05 Ford installed a bigger tapered ball joints. In '06 ford changed to a bigger strut diameter.You can still use your struts, using the '05 spindle. So it boils down to= You'll need to get the '05 only spindles, the '05+ ball joints & then you can bolt on the '05+ rotors & calipers. The '05+ brakes use a 10.9'' rotor & the svt's use a 300mm 11.8'' rotors w/ bigger calipers. Idk how many miles are on your car, but if you need to do ball joints, this swap makes sense. If I was doing it, I'd do the svt brake kit. Hit up Steve at Toulsey ford for M-2300-SVTF5, includes rotors/calipers & brake lines & caliper bolts. You could check to see if he has or can get M-2300-SVTF4 which is the same but comes w/ svt spindles, that'll bolt right up.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Additional Info.

FWIW - These brakes were used in what was called the "Rally Kit", adding these & SVT rears together. Reason was to keep the fronts small enough to use stock 15" wheels for the "Mudder" tires desired for Rally at the time.... Keeping 15" std. wheel fitment is the prime reason to select these over the larger SVT brakes.... SVT brakes will require 16" or larger wheels (SOME special 15's fit, but very few, & NOT the stock ones...)

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
darossi3
Focus Enthusiast

Well the whole reason im asking is because i can get all the parts off a junk yard car. The brakes look BRAND NEW and i can get them for like 50$(calipers, rotors, spindles...) for the complete front set. I can get them off a 05 or the mk2 but the mk2 calipers look noticeably bigger.... How many miles do ball joints usually go? Im at 120k right now.

Also the rotors looked much more than just an inch bigger than my stock size 03... they were so big the wheels just BARELY cleared. They were definitely at least 16's...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darossi3 View Post
Well the whole reason im asking is because i can get all the parts off a junk yard car. The brakes look BRAND NEW and i can get them for like 50$(calipers, rotors, spindles...) for the complete front set. I can get them off a 05 or the mk2 but the mk2 calipers look noticeably bigger.... How many miles do ball joints usually go? Im at 120k right now.

Also the rotors looked much more than just an inch bigger than my stock size 03... they were so big the wheels just BARELY cleared. They were definitely at least 16's...
If they are off a '05, they're 10.9'' rotors & then all you'd need is '05+ ball joints. $50.00 sounds like a steal. At 120,000 on ball joints a tad loose perhaps. The calipers are bigger hence the wider ear spacing on the spindle's.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

You might need to measure a bit, for all we know someone MAY have done an SVT swap B4 the one that looks HUGE ended up in the junk yard....
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
You might need to measure a bit, for all we know someone MAY have done an SVT swap B4 the one that looks HUGE ended up in the junk yard....
Wow, That be awesome if they were svt brakes. He'd need 16'' wheels. SVT= 11.8''= 300mm vs 10.9'' & the little 10''ers.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Stranger Things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Wow, That be awesome if they were svt brakes. He'd need 16'' wheels. SVT= 11.8''= 300mm vs 10.9'' & the little 10''ers.
Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it Felix. (grin)

I'm just leery of eyeball guesses when someone is looking at junkyard parts with nothing for a reference....

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
darossi3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it Felix. (grin)

I'm just leery of eyeball guesses when someone is looking at junkyard parts with nothing for a reference....

Cheers!
Yeah, probably not SVT. There was an 05+ adjacent to a mk2 and both had large rotors that looked about the same but the mk2 calipers looked bigger and rounder....more robust. The 05 calipers were more square. I should have taken pics but unfortunately i didnt think of it. and i just blew my clutch a few hours ago so these brakes may have to wait... lol. Either way the 10.9's and calipers would still be a huge upgrade over those little dinky things... seriously. The rear rotors on most newer cars these days are bigger than my fronts lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->