Ford Focus Titanium 2012 - Just purchased, 2 major problems/questions - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Markz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113858
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Markz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus Titanium 2012 - Just purchased, 2 major problems/questions

Hey guys, I just purchased (as of last friday) a used Ford Focus Titanium 2012 with 16 000KM, pearl white with sports suspension and low profile tires on 18 inches wheel. My old car was a 2009 Yaris with no options at all, so i'm not used to this kind of drive at all.

Kind of looks like this (i'll post actual photos tonight) :

http://www.carenvy.ca/wp-content/upl...1-1024x764.jpg

QUESTION 1 :

When I start accelerating from 0/idle... the car revs up to 3000+ RPM before switching from 1st to 2nd. It sounds really terrible, as if the car was trying really hard to get in motion. Same happens from 2nd to 3rd. Is this normal? It just sounds like a bad shift every time I start again from a red light or a stop sign. Once in a while, it also jerks and stutters from 1st to 2nd, as if the transmission was kicking in hard.

QUESTION 2 :

When I hit terrible road or bumps at 20/30mph in my small town, the steering wheel goes completly crazy. It turns itself from left to right and sometimes just starts veering completly off in one direction, pushing hard with a certain force. Is this because of the large wheels and sports suspension? I am definitly not used to this. I was in complete control with my Yaris. Now, it just feels like i'm working overtime to keep the car going straight when hitting bumps. The scariest is when the wheel starts veering right or left on its own and just doesnt stop until i've pushed it back hard to straighten it up. It usually last 3 to 5 seconds. Weird. I know it's not the alignement or direction (not sure what is the proper term in english) as it runs perfectly on good road at high speed. I can drive with no hands on the highway for a good 30 second+ (not that I actually do that) :P

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
1) It has an automated manual transmission, this means it is a manual transmission that is shifted electronically, so you kinda got to treat it like one... to be honest I don't like the concept, i'd rather drive a real automatic or real manual tranny...

2) How big are these bumps??? Try to avoid them, your tires and suspension will thank you, but yeah, I imagine the bigger wheels have some thing to do with it, but mostly the sport style handling that gives you more feedback, lol...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Yaris to Focus Titanium. That's a solid step-up in car. Congratulations.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Markz
Focus Rookie

It's your typical quebec small town road... cracked and bumpy, but nothing too severe. When I was going down that same road with the Yaris, it felt alright, kept going straight. Now, with the Focus, it feels like the car wants to veer off 45 degrees on either side at any point. Crazy feedback... Not sure if its normal.

Anyhow, i'll probably bring it to a Ford dealer for a complete check-up (beyond the re-seller's complete inspection)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Markz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miuzi05 View Post
Yaris to Focus Titanium. That's a solid step-up in car. Congratulations.
Indeed, I'm used to cheap plastic and having to floor it to go up a ramp with 100hp... big upgrade :) Thanks a lot.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Question 1- Do you mean that it revs to 3k before moving, or that it doesn't shift to 2nd until 3k? If the former-not good, the latter-perfectly normal. As stated above, the DCT is definitely 'different' than a traditional automatic and has to be driven a little bit differently. If it acts up a lot then you may want to see the dealership. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask if they can check the records to see if TSB 12b37 has already been performed on that vehicle.

Question 2- Definitely due to the 8" wide tires with their low profile. You will also notice that you have to fight the wheel on unevenly worn roads or on roads with noticeable driving wear. If you had the narrower and smaller OEM wheels, this wouldn't be noticeable. I have a couple of stoplights that are quite interesting due to the road ruts in the braking area...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Cruisin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108722
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 0 Cruisin Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
You feel every little bump with low profile tires. When replacement time comes try a taller tire if it will fit.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Moved to the MK3 section so you can get some better help from people who own the same model.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
It's your typical quebec small town road... cracked and bumpy, but nothing too severe. When I was going down that same road with the Yaris, it felt alright, kept going straight. Now, with the Focus, it feels like the car wants to veer off 45 degrees on either side at any point. Crazy feedback... Not sure if its normal.

Anyhow, i'll probably bring it to a Ford dealer for a complete check-up (beyond the re-seller's complete inspection)
congrats on ur purchase, neighbour... lol.. im just south of u and pass thru st. con. on my way to the mercier all the time...
good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin View Post
You feel every little bump with low profile tires. When replacement time comes try a taller tire if it will fit.
i totally agree w/ what u said, crusin, My 01 focus w/ 205/50/16 tires is darty and follows every crown and groove in the road much as what the OP is saying. However, my focus 12, w/ 215/50/17 tires doesn't do that at all... straight as a die on all roads and, as i don't live to far from the OP, i have the same road conditions as he...
go figure...

Bookmarks & Social Networks