Will a bug-deflector help with rock chips? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Will a bug-deflector help with rock chips?

I've been in the market for a bug deflector for the last few months. I'm trying to narrow down the style I want. Is it reasonable to believe that a bug deflector can also help guard against some stone chips? I don't have a real problem with bugs, easily cleaned. But I'm a stickler when it comes to paint chips.

I'm curious if anybody has any experience in these if they can help deflect flying stones, or maybe its just wishful thinking. I'm thinking about ordering myself a Auto Ventshade 320029.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
GN Prime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92475
What I Drive: 2011 sterling gray ses

FF Reputation: 2 GN Prime Good Standing Member
i'm sure it will, given that they are the same size as a bug lol
SES #025/ Sedan Revolution #221
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Well I got the ford deflector after getting a few chips in the area that it now covers. I still got a few other chips on the hood, so it won't totally prevent chips, but it does seem like it slowed them down.

Also, it's not going to do anything for your bumper/fascia. I have chips galore all over there (I do a lot of highway miles), and if you want the best protections, it's going to have to be a bra or clear film.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
burnie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57310
What I Drive: 2002 silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 burnie Good Standing Member
Bra or film ?

Def go with the film . Had a bra on my car since I bought it . Had to remove the lower half to install new fog lights . Found 2 cracks in the bumper ( one pretty major ) that weren`t there when I bought it . Also in the middle , the bottom of the lip where I guess the bra wasn`t real tight......has worn the paint off and actually started eating into the plastic . On the hood over the motor.....no problem other than the differences in paint shade from where the bra is and the sun faded regular part of the hood . At least a full shade different . IMO , check into the film
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The one on my 4Runner saved me from more than just a chip. On my truck tho' it does have very good coverange and has kept the leading edge of the hood in pretty good shape but the Focus' version will keep the majority of dust and rocks hitting that leading edge but you'll still suffer a few time to time.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
PandaCar
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93756
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum Ti Hatch All Options!

FF Reputation: 1 PandaCar Good Standing Member
Had one on my Tuxedo Black CCM 2008 Focus SES, but with smoked OEM deflector, it didn't stand out. On my 2012 Platinum White TCM Focus Titanium, I went with 3M mask panels, on hood, fender tops and mirrors. (watch the high pressure spray guns though!).
Old 04-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Ive been told by a couple different body guys that the film cover is bad. While it does protect agianst debris, they said its bad for the paint. I guess it still needs oxygen or overtime the paint can break down.

Im think about getting the AVS part I listed in my op. Its very low profile, plus my dark is black.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using FF Mobile
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Hmmm the 3M stuff does apparently breath. The place I got it done (all front bumper, half of the hood, fenders, mirrors, rear sill) said that if there are any bubbles, they will dissapte in a day or two. I had about two very small bubbles that I didn't touch and they did go away.

I'm very glad I got it done. Yes, it was a bit of an expense but if I could get a super price and even do the doors, I would of. GOOD film, you really don't see the line and is completely transparent. I saw another SGM with tint and a clear bra, most likely NOT 3M (different cut pattern than the standard cutout) and it was more yellow and made the car look gross.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
Ive been told by a couple different body guys that the film cover is bad. While it does protect agianst debris, they said its bad for the paint. I guess it still needs oxygen or overtime the paint can break down.

Im think about getting the AVS part I listed in my op. Its very low profile, plus my dark is black.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using FF Mobile
Not only that, but you get incredibly uneven wear. People put bras on the front of their car, and then when they go to take it off it looks terrible.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'll vouch for the film. I've had it on 2 different cars: one silver and now my Blue Candy Focus and it has never faded or looked uneven. A lot of manufacturers offer paint film as an option/accessory now, do you really think they would sell you something that is going to ruin your paint?

Anyone in the Mid-Atlantic, Rob at ProForm in Ellicott City, MD does great work. I'll take the barely visible line of the film over a front end covered in rock chips and touch up paint any day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks