Where are the 5-speeds???? - Page 24 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #231
Darth Obvious
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113422
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Sedan - Manual

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Obvious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Between the many dealers in my general area (the cities along the I-40 corridor in central NC), there were only two manual SE's in stock: one hatch, and one sedan. I preferred a sedan, so I had to go almost an hour away to test-drive it.

I liked it so much that I drove it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #232
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
I still think there is something off about my drivetrain. At a complete a few stop, the shifter does not engage 1st gear smoothly. I've driven 2 other MK3 focus 5 speeds, and this is not the case with them.

I've also had trouble with the shifter popping out of 1st gear at a stop. Example, I pull up to an intersection. Come to a complete stop, but the shifter from N to 1st gear... when I go to engage the clutch, it will pop the shifter out of the 1st gear slot, make a lovely grinding sound and obviously rev the engine up. It's like when you push the shifter into (what you think is) 1st gear, it's not allowing full motion or travel. It's almost feels like something is binding and preventing you from full engaging that gear selection smoothly.

This hasn't happened as much recently, but the car use to also have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. You would have to exert a lot more effort than should be necessary to pull it down into 2nd.

Of course the 2 times I've brought the car to the dealers, she's on her best behavior....

I was able to scope it out under the hood a little. I placed the shifter in 1st when it was not engaging smooth, I reached down under the hood with the gear selector linkage and was able to easily pull it the rest of the way over to fully engage first gear.

I don't think the syncros are shot, because I can still put the car into first gear when rolling down the street at 5mph. So I don't know if it's something in the linkage or a shift fork issue... not sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #233
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113132
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sounds like its in the linkage as you described. How many miles on your car and are you the original owner?

If you are not the original owner, I could imagine that someone might have put some sort of after market shift linkage under the shift boot area. I have heard that the Steeda SSK needs some filing to engage 1st properly, in some situations.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #234
tk_foci01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55052
What I Drive: 2012 drk Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 tk_foci01 Good Standing Member
I got a dark grey five speed!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #235
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Will pick up my Ignot Silver SE hatch 5 speed this week. Had to get it from a dealer out of state. Why in the world would they not put a 6 speed in it...this is 2013!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #236
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
Will pick up my Ignot Silver SE hatch 5 speed this week. Had to get it from a dealer out of state. Why in the world would they not put a 6 speed in it...this is 2013!
A few reasons, one they'd have to re emissions certify and that costs a lot of money, two they would lose a reason to upsell to the DCT which has 6 forward ratios of which the top two are both over driven ratios, and thirdly they know the MTX-75 has been reliable, etc.

The ST gets only the MMT6 but the gear ratios are still shorter than the DCT despite the taller axle ratio.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #237
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
Sounds like its in the linkage as you described. How many miles on your car and are you the original owner?

If you are not the original owner, I could imagine that someone might have put some sort of after market shift linkage under the shift boot area. I have heard that the Steeda SSK needs some filing to engage 1st properly, in some situations.
Original owner... no modification to the linkage. Like the special girl she is... she NEVER acts up at the dealer.

You can still drive the car fine... just a continuous annoyance.

You saw it cuz I tapped it
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #238
I_go_for_Gs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113640
What I Drive: 2013 White SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 I_go_for_Gs Good Standing Member
2013, White SE 5-door, 5MT, SE Black exterior package, Sport package. Bought it 2 days ago with only 2080kms. Was able to get 0% financing also
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #239
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113132
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
I have an odd question for the 5-speed guys. Is your car a little hard to be smooth with? Especially taking off from a stop or shifting up into 2nd or 3rd?

I obv know how to drive stick, have been for years. I just feel like every now and then I have a less than perfect (not bad, just not smooth) experience with the car.

I bought it used 34k on it and have been driving it for 3 weeks now. Maybe I'm not used to it yet, but I know the different brands of cars that I drive at work are more easy to "pick up" than the focus was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
Not really. This is a pretty easy car with a featherweight clutch. The engagement point is kind of funky though, at the top of the pedal travel.
After driving the car for a while, and still not falling in love with the clutch feel, I decided to make a clutch stop. What I did was take a 3/4 inch block of wood and used velcro to attach it to my Husky rubber floor mat. This takes up a good amount of the free travel in the clutch pedal.

Car now drives a lot nicer and shifts great. Only have to raise the clutch a little bit to engage, similar to a European clutch, that I am more used to. I did ensure that the clutch disengages fully when pressed.

Hands down the best mod I did to my car. I want to add a thin piece of rubber to the top for a cushion.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #240
Spellbound
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114331
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Spellbound Good Standing Member
After reading all the issues with the automatic, Iím glad I lucked into getting a M5. Mine was the last 2012 on the lot and it was the only stick. The lack of low end torque makes the car hard to be smooth coming off the line but once rolling its fine. After test driving the ST while waiting for my oil to be changed, I wish I would've waited a few months to buy, lol. In retrospect though, my gas mileage would've sucked because I would not have been able to keep my foot out of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks