17" Replacement Tires - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92046
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

Points 78, Level 1
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 hoover460 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
17" Replacement Tires

I know this has been talked about, but I am looking for opinions on replacement tires for my Focus. I have the 215/50/17 Conti's from the factory that will be worn out in a month or two. I have 2 requirements that are at odds with each other; I would like better handling and greater longevity (tread wear). I want to know if anyone has found a good compromise. I live in MI, so weather handling is important as well. I put alot of miles on, so I'd like something that can go over 50K, so I'm not replacing every 18 months. Thanks!

P.S. For the record, the Conti's should make it to 50K, but I'm not that impressed with handling or wet/snow performance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,618, Level 58
Points: 7,618, Level: 58 Points: 7,618, Level: 58 Points: 7,618, Level: 58
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you can go with two sets of tires (winter and summer) I think you'll be happier all around.

Otherwise go with something like the Continental DWS if you need an all season.

At the end of the day, an all season tire with good characteristics in all seasons (especially Michigan seasons), and good tread wear doesn't exactly exist.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
If you can go with two sets of tires (winter and summer) I think you'll be happier all around.

Otherwise go with something like the Continental DWS if you need an all season.

At the end of the day, an all season tire with good characteristics in all seasons (especially Michigan seasons), and good tread wear doesn't exactly exist.
Although i live in the snow belt i was loathe to buy a separate set of winter tires for my car (i've always had winter tires on other cars i've owned) as i rarely need to drive in the snow any longer. So,, i went w/ contis DWS and am very pleased.. better feel and handling than the oem contis, great wet traction and for the tiny bit of snow i've encountered so far very good in that.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,968, Level 50
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have a set of nokian hakkapeliitta tires on my cobalt with 60 000 miles on them. They are less than half worn. They are low rolling resistance winter tires. I ran them 9 months out of the year switching for the really warm months. I have a set for my focus and they are great
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
TheNotoriousMAZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107418
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TheNotoriousMAZ Good Standing Member
I second the opinion for having a separate winter set of tires, especially if you plan on owning the car for awhile. You really get the best performance no matter what the season. I wasn't a believer in snow tires before this past winter (I'm in the same area as you, so I know what's up), and always went with all seasons on my cars. My snow tires really gave me confidence on the road and definitely kept me grounded in circumstances that I would be slipping around without them. Especially this year, when we had nearly 6 months of wintry weather.

I just put on my summer tires back on last week, and it's good to be zipping around again (I have the Titanium performance package too) and making tight turns on the back roads.

You won't lose any money in the long run either, since the tires will last twice as long as you switch them during the year. If you have the means, and I understand money can be tight, definitely go with 2 sets of tires. Get yourself a decent pair of summer tires now, and you still have 6 months to put aside the money for a winter set later on in the year.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Flatvalley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97480
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Flatvalley Good Standing Member
I have replaced my tires with tires that I have used on several of my vehicles, why, because in my opinion, the tires work well in all conditions. I put a set of Goodyear Triple Tred tires on the car. In the 17 inch variety they have a 70,000 mile warranty and are the best tires I have ever used on wet roads. Being from North Dakota, they also need to work well on ice and snow and in fact they do. Can't speak for anyone else but I am very pleased with these tires. I have ran them on a Lincoln Navigator, a Lincoln Aviator and a Lincoln MKX. The OEM continentals, in my opinion, were probably the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle. Just my opinion.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

Points 14,652, Level 78
Points: 14,652, Level: 78 Points: 14,652, Level: 78 Points: 14,652, Level: 78
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 17,911, Level 85
Points: 17,911, Level: 85 Points: 17,911, Level: 85 Points: 17,911, Level: 85
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
general altimax hp. I had them on 2 or 3 cars now. They're unidirectional grand touring tires. I didn't have problems in the snow, but they are a bit more performance oriented.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Points 78, Level 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks for the replies. I know what I want doesn't exactly exist. I have been looking at the Conti DWS' s and the General Altimax, so I appreciate the reviews. I've owned the TripleTred´s and I agree about water control, but I didn't think they handled that well. I'm a bit gun shy of the Conti' s because of the OEM' s and another set I owned, neither of which performed well, so thanks again for the helpful review. Anyone try the Bridgestone Potenza' s or the Hankook Ventus?

As far as a second set I agree with you guys, but it's not in the budget for this ride. I have a '66 Fairlane Pro Street that needs attention, and every dollar I spend on the daily driver delays me getting back to the drag strip. That's why I was looking for the best of both worlds, or maybe the best handling long wear tire I can find. Snow is not a huge issue as I drive mostly highway in southeastern Michigan, but something all weather is a compromise I have to make.

Sent from my KFTT using FF Mobile
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Points 78, Level 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
OK, these Conti's don't want to die! 56K miles, but with winter approaching I can't wait much longer. I am considering the Conti DWS, and the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2. Looking for opinions, especially if anyone has tried the Hankook's, as they would be a killer deal at about $88/tire. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.