Boost all the things. - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #91
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,737, Level 66
Points: 9,737, Level: 66 Points: 9,737, Level: 66 Points: 9,737, Level: 66
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RED_ View Post
Rumor was the Roush S/c was real but didn't run because they had no way to tune it. Once SCT or injected release tuning things may change.
I would imagine that Roush doesn't need SCT or Injected to tune the Focus, because they work with ford doing power train calibrations already. They basically worked directly with SVT on the GT500s as well afaik. So there is a chance that it could have worked, but it wasn't a viable solution at the time as it would cost more than the ST which they also had a hand in testing, or so the fleet of them out at the Allen Park Facilites for Roush would indicate to me.

Just a thought, I interviewed with the engine calibration guys, but ended up going in a different direction/ group after moving on from doing design work and into Engineering/Engineering design.

I don't know how deeply the ties go with Ford, but its pretty strong between Roush and Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #92
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow...glad to see this thread is still going! I was psyched to get on yesterday (after a long hiatus...no money mo problems) and see a tuning option may be available in the future! 200 WHP here I come!
HN #167
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #93
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Points 26,169, Level 96
Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Mechanically I believe the transmission and even the clutches could handle stock ST horsepower and torque if you do not drag race the hell out of it (the torque would be the main issue with the clutches), but because of the horrid shifting strategies programmed into the ECU for the DCT, there is NO WAY. You will burn the clutches up because the solenoid actuation of the clutches is currently not firm enough and too slow. They will slip and burn up.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #94
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
With the thought that the clutch packs could slip, you could just put that in the tune to decrease boost/power in the first gear or so (ala throttle maps from the MS3). If we just could get access to the TPS maps... it may not add much power but the response off the start could get awesome.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #95
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
Mechanically I believe the transmission and even the clutches could handle stock ST horsepower and torque if you do not drag race the hell out of it (the torque would be the main issue with the clutches), but because of the horrid shifting strategies programmed into the ECU for the DCT, there is NO WAY. You will burn the clutches up because the solenoid actuation of the clutches is currently not firm enough and too slow. They will slip and burn up.
Yea, but this would occur with no tune. If a tune for the DCT becomes available that would allow you to adjust shift points, this wouldn't be a problem right?
HN #167
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #96
RedVAhb757
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111780
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white ST

FF Reputation: 1 RedVAhb757 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantz12 View Post
Yea, but this would occur with no tune. If a tune for the DCT becomes available that would allow you to adjust shift points, this wouldn't be a problem right?
Who knows? They don't build em like they use to. And while I like how the DCT is smooth, it doesn't shift hard for when you wanna get on it and go like a normal car. The next car I buy will be a manual, never an automatic again!!! People are soo lazy nowadays, and here is a prime example. And yes I counted to see just how many were manuals. Out of driving 70 Nissan Jukes, only 4 were manual. Even the GT-R "Americas Skyline" only comes in automatic with paddle shifters. My overall conclusion is the auto industry is perfecting designs and then building them with the cheapest parts to reduce cost and increase profit by being able to say its sophisticated and proven but the garbage won't last. Companies like Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota are taking the fun out of the driving with these stupid sport-shift transmissions.

Maybe if people had to shift gears instead of just mashing the gas they wouldn't be able to talk on cell phones as much while they drive.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #97
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

Points 1,440, Level 21
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadworthy View Post
With the thought that the clutch packs could slip, you could just put that in the tune to decrease boost/power in the first gear or so (ala throttle maps from the MS3). If we just could get access to the TPS maps... it may not add much power but the response off the start could get awesome.
Not entirely true. First gear isn't the problem gear, all of the gears are. The clutch(es) are the issue. Think of it like a manual trans. When people start adding big power on a stock clutch it will start to slip, no matter the gear. no matter what, the clutch packs will have to be replaced with stronger units. Just like on any manual trans car with power.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #98
bowhunter11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107014
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black focus

FF Reputation: 1 bowhunter11 Good Standing Member
idk what you guys are talking about.... the ST has the exact same motor, the exact same heads....
yes the exhaust, intake, injectors and of course the turbo are different.
but if you go to the parts guy at you're Ford dealership and ask him for everything you will need to put a ST turbo on you're car it will cost a little over $5,200 is what the parts guy told me as long as i can do my owen exhaust.
but i know the Turbos are on back order right know cuz i had to replace one last week in the shop and it took 4 weeks for us to get one.

but anyways you can do it, its not worth it but you can do it. i would wait for a 3rd party to make a kit.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #99
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 5,971, Level 50
Points: 5,971, Level: 50 Points: 5,971, Level: 50 Points: 5,971, Level: 50
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11 View Post
idk what you guys are talking about.... the ST has the exact same motor, the exact same heads....
but if you go to the parts guy at you're Ford dealership and ask him for everything you will need to put a ST turbo on you're car it will cost a little over $5,200 is what the parts guy told me as long as i can do my owen exhaust.
but i know the Turbos are on back order right know cuz i had to replace one last week in the shop and it took 4 weeks for us to get one.

but anyways you can do it, its not worth it but you can do it. i would wait for a 3rd party to make a kit.
Seems like there are st owners waiting for an adapter bracket for new turbo because the manifold is cast into the head. So more must be different
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #100
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

Points 1,440, Level 21
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11 View Post

The rotating assembly AND head are different on the ST. Along with the parts you listed. Only downside to stock ST stuff is the turbo cost lol.

I agree with you though, 3rd party will be better anyway

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.