Bad Balancing & busted bearings... 3500km trip ahead! Need experienced advice, plz. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If by that it means they reinstalled the old hubs, and are going to swap them for new ones, I would be concerned.

You can't forget to install a hub, there would be nothing to bolt the wheel to.

If that is the case, and they are going to swap the old hubs for new ones, they will probably hurt a wheel bearing in the process and you may again experience early wheel bearing failure. Lots of wheel bearing get ruined during install, your "new" bearing will have three times as many visits to the press.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
bad_haze
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46157
What I Drive: Focus SE GFX

FF Reputation: 1 bad_haze Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Interesting. So that information leads to two possible courses of action on my part:

1) Not do anything and retain the current old hub with the new bearing in it
2) Get the hub changed and make sure they also replace the bearing

Now since I am doing that long trip back home next week, what would be the safer course of action, 1 or 2? Or does anyone have another suggestion?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
New hubs have the bearing preinstalled. THAT is the right way to do it. So tell them you will not accept that they repull the bearings from the old hubs (even if new) and you want the new hubs with preinstalled (from the factory) bearings.

Then you will not have to worry about those bearings..
And even if they baulk.. tell them you will pay 'cost' on those bearings they stuck into your old wheels. But ony of they make a lot of howling noises and seem about to expode. (the service manager, not your wheels !)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
bad_haze
Focus Enthusiast

Heh! Thanks for the advice Elizabeth. I really do appreciate it and consider myself fortunate to have received it. I agree with you about sticking to my guns for the bearing. They should not and cannot be re-pressed out and then re-presed back in. If they do that I'll most likely request cost on a new bearing and no labor charges.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Bottom line for me right now, their story doesn't make sense - as implied in elsolo's post.

Just what's going on is a real question mark, and you deserve a better explanation!

Luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
bad_haze
Focus Enthusiast

So, to sum up: The following items were replaced over the past two weeks:

1) Rear right bearing

2) Front right bearing

3) Front left bearing (preventative maintenance: old one was ok upon analysis after removal)

4) Rear left bearing (preventative maintenance: old one was shot upon analysis after removal)

5) Rear right hub

6) Front axle support bearing

7) Sway bar links (right & left)

8) Front right axle shaft/CV joint

The mechanic said that the 'new' rear right bearing which was pressed three times (once into the old hub, then out of the old hub and into the new hub) is still fine and will last the drive home for sure and most likely last a normal life - about 100'000km. I did voice my concern that the bearing is not as reliable as new one because it was pressed three times, so I got a discount from the end price of about 100$. Thanks for all of your help and will keep you posted after the journey.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Looks like doing the left side was worthwhile, if the left rear had given up on your trip we would have seen a LOT of "frown faced smilies" the next time we heard from you!

Have a good trip!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->