Wot Box Install Instructions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
cwczx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 852
What I Drive: 2000 Autumn orange ZX3

Points 15,089, Level 79
Points: 15,089, Level: 79 Points: 15,089, Level: 79 Points: 15,089, Level: 79
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 cwczx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Wot Box Install Instructions

Here are the Wot Box instructions that Italo (Mother Focus).

Did some copy and paste with their instructions fixing it to our set up with my pics, if anything is not clear let me know.

Recommended soldering and splicing. http://www.npcompleteperformance.com...ions/soldering

1) Open the hood and disconnect the 12V battery negative.

2) Pick out a location to mount the WOT Box. The WOT Box must be installed inside the passenger compartment since it is not waterproof. Tape the WOT Box connector to this location.

3) Route the BLUE and YELLOW wires to the ECU, using zip ties to secure along the way.

4)Splice the BLUE WOT Box wire into the wire at pin #89, making sure that the connectivity of the original wire is maintained.

5) Splice the YELLOW WOT Box wire into the wire at pin #85, making sure that the connectivity of the original wire is maintained.

6) Under the drivers’ side dashboard, find the Cruise Control Clutch Switch, is the red one. Remove the connector for easy access. Route the GREEN WOT Box wire to this location, using zip‐ties to secure along the way, and splice the GREEN WOT Box Wire into the White wire, making sure that the original connectivity of the wire is mantained.

7) Locate a good chassis ground point near where you plan on installing the WOT Box. Try to keep the wire run as short as possible. It should be under 2’ away, if possible. Next, cut the 18 AWG BLACK wire from the WOT Box to length. Strip the wire and solidly crimp on the provided ground lug connection. Solder the ground wire to the ground lug. Connect this ground lug to the chassis. Make sure the metal where you attach the ground lug is clean, unpainted and free of rust. Use sand paper to prepare the surface, if needed. This concludes the interior portion of the install.

8) In the engine compartment find the wire at pin #2 in the coil. Route the RED/BLACK WOT box pair to this location, using zip ties to secure along the way. Making sure to leave enough room to connect on both sides (about 3"), opening the insulation find and cut the green/yellow wire, red wire goes towards power and the red black goes to the coil. Think you can interrupt the power to the coil inside the fuse box too, just get the wire that goes straight to pin 2 in the coil.

9) Remove the tape securing the WOT box connector. Plug in the WOT box, and mount securely. Replace any components removed for convenience during the install, reconnect the 12V battery, and close the hood. The WOT Box install is complete‐ proceed to testing.

Troubleshooting ‐ Testing the WOT Box

Use this first - www.n2mb.com/wotboxsoftware

And the instructions - http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox/software

Since our RPM source is different, you have to set the rpm limiter choosing other rpm source setting it click write and then change it back to other ignition signal just like in the pic below.

Key on the car but do not start the engine. Press the gas pedal to the floor. You should see the LED on the WOT Box start to rapidly blink. If it does not, check your APP sensor signal connection (WOT Box BLUE wire).

Next, with the gas pedal still depressed, press the clutch pedal to the floor. You should see the LED on the WOT Box briefly go out, and then come back on solid for one second and then finally resume blinking rapidly. If you do not see this, check your Clutch Pedal Position Switch signal connection (WOT Box GREEN wire).

Next, start the engine. Quickly press the gas pedal to the floor and immediately step on the clutch. You should hear the engine start to rev up, stumble for a short period while the ignition is cut, then return back on and continue revving. Remove your foot from the gas before you hit the rev limiter. The 2‐step will not engage if the gas is depressed before the clutch. This is normal. If the engine does not stumble or pause when the LED turns out, then check the RED/BLACK paired wire. Verify that the RED and BLACK 16 AWG wires are wired facing the proper way. If they are reversed, the ignition cut will not work.

Lastly, test the 2‐Step. Press the clutch pedal down and then quickly press the gas pedal all the way down. The gas pedal must be floored for the 2‐step to engage. The engine should rev up to the desired RPM and hold. If it does not, be sure to remove your foot from the gas before you hit the rev limiter. If the 2‐step does not work, check the WOT Box YELLOW wire.

The WOT Box Graphical User Interface has some inherent troubleshooting capability. If you have access to a laptop, it may be useful for you to download the GUI at www.n2mb.com/wotboxsoftware and follow the instructions there.

Usage

To use the WOT Shift feature, keep your foot fully on the gas and shift quickly using the clutch. Keep the gas fully depressed through the shift. The WOT Box will detect the clutch switch signal and briefly cut the ignition to enable an effortless shift.

To use the 2‐Step feature, fully depress the clutch. Next, fully depress the gas pedal to the floor. The engine will rev up and hold the RPM that you have set. Quickly release the clutch while leaving the gas fully depressed to launch the car.

Programming

The WOT Box comes preset for an automatic WOT Shift kill time. This means that the WOT Box will automatically adjust the kill time to your shift time, up to a maximum of 350 ms. If you would like manual control over the WOT Shift kill time, start the car and hold down the button on the module and wait for the LED to begin to blink. Using the chart below, find the number of blinks that corresponds to the desired kill time. Setting 0 blinks will disable the WOT Shift feature and setting 1 blink will set the automatic kill time mode. When you have reached the number of blinks that match your desired setting, simply let go of the button. To confirm, the WOT Box will blink back out the setting you entered.

The WOT Box comes preset for a 2‐step RPM of 4000. To set the 2‐Step RPM, repeat the same procedure described above, but keep the clutch down during the entire operation. This will signify to the WOT Box that you want to set the 2‐step RPM and not the WOT Shift kill time. Use the second chart provided below to match up the desired RPM with the number of blinks. Setting 0 blinks will disable the 2‐Step feature.

The No-Lift Shift feature makes no-lift shifting easy by cutting your engine's ignition for a very short period while you no-lift shift. No-lift shifting is keeping the gas down through the shifft. The ignition cut allows the synchros in your transmission to mesh easily, reducing the chance of missing a gear and damaging your transmission. Keeping your foot down through the shift also allows you to hold boost through the shift, thereby significantly improving your E.T.

The major benefits are:
Lower ETs
Reduced chance of missing a gear
More consistent, effortless shifts
Reduced wear on the transmission
Reduced chance of major transmission damage
The 2-Step Launch Control modulates the ignition by cutting power to individual ignition coils to hold the RPM you want to launch at. The turbo will spool up while you do this. You can use this feature for a more consistent and more powerful launch in boost!"
There are available instructions for Mustangs, Subarus, STR4 and others but there was not instructions for our cars until I installed mine and share, hope you'll find them useful.

Video's

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/0eb3fcfb.mp4

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/5fed953b.mp4

Last edited by cwczx3; 04-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 5,833, Level 49
Points: 5,833, Level: 49 Points: 5,833, Level: 49 Points: 5,833, Level: 49
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 70%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%
FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
So this is made for people that do not have shifting talent?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what exactly is this?
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Full boost off the line, nice!

Stuck 'til someone can add it to the How-To's.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

Points 49,779, Level 100
Points: 49,779, Level: 100 Points: 49,779, Level: 100 Points: 49,779, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I have this but hate electrical so im selling mine lol
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

Points 4,667, Level 43
Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Corey thanks for putting the instructions up. Here is what the wot box do, and I'll quote their page
"The No-Lift Shift feature makes no-lift shifting easy by cutting your engine's ignition for a very short period while you no-lift shift. No-lift shifting is keeping the gas down through the shifft. The ignition cut allows the synchros in your transmission to mesh easily, reducing the chance of missing a gear and damaging your transmission. Keeping your foot down through the shift also allows you to hold boost through the shift, thereby significantly improving your E.T.

The major benefits are:
Lower ETs
The 2-Step Launch Control modulates the ignition by cutting power to individual ignition coils to hold the RPM you want to launch at. The turbo will spool up while you do this. You can use this feature for a more consistent and more powerful launch in boost!"
There are available instructions for Mustangs, Subarus, STR4 and others but there was not instructions for our cars until I installed mine and share, hope you'll find them useful.
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

Points 4,667, Level 43
Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Full boost off the line, nice!

Stuck 'til someone can add it to the How-To's.
Have 10psi off the line (@20psi tune) but full boost between gears, pulls forward every shift.
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
cwczx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 852
What I Drive: 2000 Autumn orange ZX3

Points 15,089, Level 79
Points: 15,089, Level: 79 Points: 15,089, Level: 79 Points: 15,089, Level: 79
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 cwczx3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Focus View Post
Corey thanks for putting the instructions up. Here is what the wot box do, and I'll quote their page
"The No-Lift Shift feature makes no-lift shifting easy by cutting your engine's ignition for a very short period while you no-lift shift. No-lift shifting is keeping the gas down through the shifft. The ignition cut allows the synchros in your transmission to mesh easily, reducing the chance of missing a gear and damaging your transmission. Keeping your foot down through the shift also allows you to hold boost through the shift, thereby significantly improving your E.T.

The major benefits are:
Lower ETs
I added this to the original post.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So basically this is a computer device that interrupts power from engine via ignition?(possibly as well as fuel? On other models)

So this basically means you can avoid creating a vaccume in engine. But still reduced engine power between shifts. Thus essentially a vaccume free quick shift.

So if I got this right this device is mostly advantageous in a turbo situation because it allows better flow to the turbo buy not restricting air via throttle gate.

So if I understand this correctly this mod would be say, on a turbo car, would be faster then quick shifting, and would be comparable to powershifting. But also prevent you from Truely power shifting.

What I see here is competition, the computers action to cut power duration is controlled but the.human counterpart. This means if reacting time is.fast enough to shift before any significant loss in power occurs. And see this would be a competitions on how.fast one can move the body vs how precisely, because in power shifting you gain.power at.the.engine between shift, speed is important but more often it's prediction knowing when AND how fast you need to move .

So if I got this right, in a turbo situation, drag, either this mod and lose a little engine power but gain consistency in shifts and lose less without vaccume. Or powershift skillfully, or run a modified automatic slapstick with high tc.

Also wouldn't this create an issue down shifting aggressively?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
kbrownfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14709
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kbrownfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So...... Basicly this is for a slow shifter hahahaha jk I had to say it, naw what this box can do for you is basicly boost your launch & et times, but I think its a waste if your not running 500-1000whp, great write up though
ZETEC Crew #341

Bookmarks & Social Networks