K&N round drop-in filter for 2013 Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
K&N round drop-in filter for 2013 Focus?

The pics of the drop-in for the 2013 Focus on the K&N site show a round filter...I was expecting a flat one..is that correct? I am picking up my new '13 Focus this week and want to order one for it but was surprised to see a round filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Yup - it sure is round/cylindrical.

Source: I have one?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yup - it sure is round/cylindrical.

Source: I have one?
Do you have to oil the K&N? Did you notice much change in sound level? Sound quality? Price?

Brian
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Wasney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109571
What I Drive: 5SPD 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Wasney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I didn't notice any sound change for mine. Got it used with around 5000 miles on it or something. Only ran it for 2 weeks before I switched to a steeda cai.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Do you have to oil the K&N? Did you notice much change in sound level? Sound quality? Price?

Brian
they come preoiled have to be cleaned reoiled eventually, not much difference in sound but i'm light footed on accelerator did see an improvement in mpg went from 35 b4 to 38+ after , big differences on prices i got mine for about 47.00 free shipping at autoanything.com seen them 70 or 80 dollars for same thing other places
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Thanks for the picture, just wanted to make sure I got the right one. Its been years since I had one and the lats one in my Toyota truck was just flat/same shape as stock. I assume also that you can put the lid back on the air box with it installed?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
they come preoiled have to be cleaned reoiled eventually, not much difference in sound but i'm light footed on accelerator did see an improvement in mpg went from 35 b4 to 38+ after , big differences on prices i got mine for about 47.00 free shipping at autoanything.com seen them 70 or 80 dollars for same thing other places
I would not expect any mpg gain as 99% of the time the throttle will be providing resistance to limit airflow into engine anyway so reducing the resistance with a K&N only means the throttle needs to be closed more so the net resistance will be the same. Lower resistance does, however, permit higher max power and higher power at all rpm's at max throttle...

Brian
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to Duratec Performance (2012-2013).

I can't speak for mileage myself, but the only change I noticed on the initial installation was improved throttle response. After doing the snorkel-delete I definitely got more mileage and power.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
Thanks for the picture, just wanted to make sure I got the right one. Its been years since I had one and the lats one in my Toyota truck was just flat/same shape as stock. I assume also that you can put the lid back on the air box with it installed?
The stock filter is virtually the same size and shape (give or take a few milimeters), as a paper element round filter that just slip fits onto the MAF housing and into a groove in the airbox and lid.

Yes the lid drops right back into position and bolts on with the 4 8mm bolts.

I installed one after around 500 miles of driving, but noticed almost no difference in fuel economy directly before or after installing the filter, even as the engine broke in a bit. I've since swapped the stock airbox and K&N filter for a Steeda CAI about 3-500 miles ago (Car now has over 14,3xx miles on it).

The filter did seem to help throttle response somewhat, but it wasn't that dramatic, or I got used to it fairly quickly.

If you just want a mild modification that is re-useable, washable, and re-oilable to last the life of the car the K&N is a good option compared to the stock paper filters.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I switched to the K&N filter, and also got a little MPG increase.
The filter is a cylindrical shape.
And the near edge is critical to fit INTO the groove on the far side of the box. it really matter to get the fliter all the way on, AND the filter near end fit into the tiny groove edge of the box properly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks